Cristalle Eau de Parfum (1993)
    by Chanel

Cristalle Eau de Parfum Fragrance Notes

Cristalle Eau de Parfum information

A reinterpretated version by Polges of the Henri Robert 1974 original.

Reviews of Cristalle Eau de Parfum

Showing 1 to 6 of 26 reviews.

LANIER's avatar
    LANIER

How do you escape the noise, pressure and the maddening crowds of a city? It is something we all can do; all you need is a park and the sky. Lying on the soft grass on your back looking up at the sky is an instant escape. Everything sinks into the earth beneath the soft damp grass you are lying on. Work, time, pressure, anger, frustration, worry, they all slide away as you seem to levitate toward the sky. The one thing that doesn’t slide way is your sense of smell.

In Thursday’s mail I received a bottle of perfume I had been looking for and waiting to try for many months. Filled with that anticipation we who love perfume all share, I opened the box and tested the perfume on my arm. Instantly I was transported to the Villa Borghese, the wonderful and enchanted park in the center of Rome. The smell of the earth moist after a May rain shower meets the nostrils with a primal pungent primavera punch. Flowers washed clean in the rain add to the aroma as you look up look up into the same sky in which Michelangelo must have envisioned God creating Adam amongst the clouds. There is a deep rich smell of bark in the background, the unmistakable smell of a city park. This is what I saw when when I first smelled Cristalle. I was lying on my back looking up at the most beautiful sky in the world.

Chanel's Cristalle Eau de Parfum opens brightly through the sun dappled leaves of the trees with a superb blending of exotic Mandarin, with hardy warm Sicilian Lemons. These are perfect Mediterranean citrus notes. There is a little juicy Peach in the back of the park warm and fuzzy in the sun adding a bright lush taste, up front at the entrance to the park Lilly of the Valley and Bergamot join in right. It is going to be lovely here in the Villa Borghese.

In the middle notes just far enough into the park that the city sounds fade with the there is the “Chanel” Jasmine, like no other jasmine in the world it enfolds you in pure delight like the laughter of a beautiful woman in the dark. Rich earthy Iris adds a note of dangerous glamour and reminds you to dig your fingers into the moist richness of this experience. Hyacinth and Rosewood are found in this part of the urban forest and only enhance and deepen the sensuality of this fragrance.

At sundown near the edge of the park the base notes of green woody vetiver and Oakmoss enhance the beauty of your visit to this place where the sky meets the city and there is escape for anyone seeking it.

Cristalle is marketed as a female perfume yet it is not at all overwhelmingly feminine. I would categorize it as a very bold uni-sex scent. Longevity is good and the silage respectable.

Chanel Cristalle Five Gold Stars *****

05 December, 2012

's avatar

Rarely dose a perfume conjure such a vivid apparition of a heartless woman as Cristalle. Everything from its initial hairspray opening to its green leathery dry down suggests shallow cheeks, green eyes, and a thin smile.

In words, a bitchy, beautiful piece that should be smelled just to instill reverence and fear back into the hearts of unruly men.

04 September, 2012 (Last Edited: 12 December, 2012)

heavenscent1's avatar
    heavenscent1

Very nice quality perfume as with all Chanels. Top notes very green as mentioned already. Not my favorite Chanel, but definitely wearable.

26 August, 2012

rogalal's avatar
    rogalal

A beautiful leafy green scent, lightly "perfumey" and soapy, and lifted with citrus. This is one of my favorite genres of perfume, so I'm an easy sell for Cristalle.

That being said, something about it fails to excite me. It's perfectly executed and, aside from that fact that it feels quite weak and short-lived for an EDP, I have no complaints. And yet I just don't care.

Maison Martin Margiela's (untitled) is built on the same foundation, but excites with its striking modernity. Eau De Campagne is clearly a sister, yet outshines Cristalle with its simultaneously classic and timeless edge. Even Chanel's Cristalle Eau Verte flanker is more compelling, being perhaps the best clean laundry scent available.

Somehow, in comparison, Cristalle fails to excite. It's certainly not a bad perfume, and I feel bad for giving it a neutral rating because it's quite well done. It's just a personal thing for me - I just can't get more excited than a "meh"...

19 August, 2012

gimmegreen's avatar
    gimmegreen
    Netherlands Netherlands

Cool white florals with a vegetal undertow. The chypric elements are light and spare, the florals bright and airy, and a subtle greenness adds additional lift. The overall impression is surprisingly brisk and focused, and somehow urges work and action. Yet this is one fragrance that I encounter with regularity at parties, so maybe there's a playful aspect that escapes me. Or maybe it just keeps the wearer awake.

08 May, 2012

Emily's avatar
    Emily

I will admit that Cristalle is a challenging scent. It's a little too green.

That being said, I think it's a great warm summer fragrance. Am I weird? I guess I just associate sharp green with hot weather and I don't mind the bitter. Reminds me of going to my grandmothers swampy lakeside house in 100 degree heat and crawling through the brush to get my frisbee.

If you can't stand things like moss, vetiver and bergamot, you probably can't stand Cristalle. The juice itself is tinged green and smells like a dried out garden. Add some lemony juice and cloying flowers on the vine and you get this bitter greyish green aura.

Think No. 19 with all the softness removed.

13 March, 2012