Angélique Encens (1933)

Angelica, Vanilla, Incense, Ambergris, Jasmine, Bulgarian rose

Angélique Encens information

Angélique Encens is a unisex fragrance by Creed. The scent was launched in 1933

Reviews of Angélique Encens

Showing 1 to 6 of 43 reviews.

Colin Maillard's avatar

The opening of Angelique Encens is fairly bold, a sort of fresh and incense chypre, surrounded by a remarkable dose of amber, resins (benzoin), a light powdery floral accord and something smelling like tangerine or neroli (I'm being generous, as it actually smells more like Fanta), on a base of vanillin and something sweet and slightly sticky which resembles to a sort of light rendition of castoreum. Several artificial notes going on here – from the whole floral-citral accord ("floor cleaners" realm) to the synthetic, but still decent incense note (an ambery, heavy, archaic and slightly gloomy incense à la Goutal's Encens Flamboyant). Ambery drydown. Not bad, but surely in my opinion not a masterpiece – rather a decent, shallow floral-fresh-ambery incense which wants to look older and better than it actually is.

5,5-6/10

04 August, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Oriental

A classic, and deservedly so! Angélique Encens goes on very soapy, with an immediate and potent blast of sweetened angelica. This is followed by a vanilla note that sweetens the scent even further. Before it can become too syrupy-sweet, the incense of the title wells up to add a sobering dry foundation. A complex blend of spices (I smell mace, black pepper, and perhaps a touch of cumin) enters soon after, along with a gentle white flower accord that nudges what started as a very "masculine" fragrance into the realm of unisex.

As the scent develops, the white flower accord becomes dominant and begins to seem "perfumey" in a very old-fashioned way. I usually prefer my incense a bit less sweet and floral, as in Dzongkha or L'Homme Sage, but Angélique Encens reveals tremendous depth and complexity, with more than one happy surprise turn in its development. It endures quite well on the skin, with impressive sillage and projection right on through its sweet vanilla-ambery drydown. A wonderful scent, though not for me the "religious experience" some have described. I certainly don't need 8 ounces(!) of the stuff.

09 June, 2014

JackTwist's avatar

A totally unique scent - a shame it is discontinued.

Amber and vanilla dominate with frankincense in the background. The use of angelica, which has a rich, deep earthy quality to it is unique in perfumery and the ambergris rounds it out beautifully. Certainly one of the best orientals I have encountered.

Notes include angelica, vanilla, ambergris, rose, jasmine, thyme, frankincense, vanilla, musk and civet.

Can be found occasionally on Ebay, but at exorbitant prices. Samples can be found at Surrender to Chance.

Worth trying.

14 April, 2014

rbaker's avatar

The opening is sweet floral with a very balanced incense note that us never cloying. The drydown is dominated by vanilla, with a musky note and a touch of amber thrown in, to end with an ambergris that is elegant and sophisticated and unusual for an incense fragrance. There is a bit of a powdery note to it towards the end. All ingredients of this delightful fragrance are of supreme quality, and I get three hours out of it; with heavy application up to seven or eight hours. This isa a sweet but not overwhelming scent of the utmost sophistication.

22 July, 2012 (Last Edited: 08 August, 2012)

Marcie's avatar

Along with Selection Verte, this is one of the most beautiful perfumes I have ever smelled in my life. Longevity and sillage are both good and I too can't help but keep smelling my wrist when I wear this. I hope Creed will still have it in their Paris boutique when my children get old enough to really appreciate visiting Europe.

27 October, 2010

DavidBond007's avatar

It has a floral vanilla smell to it. Personally I think it is more for a woman, I could never see myself wearing this.

29 April, 2010 (Last Edited: 20th May, 2010)

Add your review of Angélique Encens

Search for on eBay United States

Creed Angelique Encens Eau de Parfum. 2.5 oz Tester Bottle
    • Listing Type: Buy it Now
    • Time Left: 12 days
    Ebay United States
    (Shipping from United States)