1881 (1990)

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 222 ratings

1881 Fragrance Notes

1881 information

1881 was the year Nino Cerruti's grandfather opened his textile business in Biella, Italy.
    The 1881 fragrance is distinctive, natural, fresh and captures the essence of Mediterranean life.

Shop for 1881 products online

50ml EdT

Reviews of 1881

Showing 1 to 6 of 52 reviews.

Flying_Monkey's avatar

Cerruti 1881 is probably one of those fragrances that many people will pass over in favour of either more commercial or more esoteric offerings. And in both cases, this would be a shame.

A well-crafted modern fougere, Cerruti 1881 follows the traditionally-expected herbs and citrus with a much more subtle floral centre, quite rosey but with a little more of an edge due to the blackcurrant leaves and the juniper. The dry-down is all woods (sandalwood and balsam fir to add to the cypress up front) and amber, and it has a long and pleasant persistence.

It's a remarkably well-balanced and well-mannered scent but not at all boring - as many have said, this is rather like a better-behaved Eau Sauvage and, overall quite an achievement at this price range. As a result, it's long been a reliable fall-back for me.

09th August, 2014

Francop's avatar

Spain Spain

A very well crafted masculine Fougere from the 90's with good longevity, perfect for warm days whether at the sea side or in the countryside.

Bravo Cerruti!

02nd August, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

Cerruti 1881 is a great, relaxed, I'm afraid also underrated scent of the early '90s. A floral, soapy, herbal woody scent, soft and slightly creamy, elegant and radiant, with a bright opening of herbal notes – both "grassy" and aromatic herbs – with a hint of lavender and forest notes. The flowers, then: a beautiful, bold, long-lasting accord of rose and carnation, supported by sandalwood and balmy notes, and something denser and stickier on the very base, which almost resembles to a sort of sweetened rendition of civet, sticky and dusty but not that animalic or dark. The drydown reveals some salty-metallic notes, but it's still pleasant, discreet, friendly and refined. Similar to other scents of the early '90s, but surely pleasant and well-crafted, the perfect companion for a quiet spring night with a gin tonic and a book (yes, you don't really need people around complimenting you).

30th July, 2014

Oscroft's avatar

I tried 1881 for the first time about 2 or 3 years ago, and thought it was OK but nothing special - but every now and then I'd try a sample again in a store, and I started thinking "You know, this really isn't bad at all".

And it really started to grow on me. Last time I was in Boots (UK chain) a few weeks ago, where it's almost always at a knockdown price, I tried it again and came close to buying it - and after I got home I still had the very nice drydown with me and regretted not getting it.

Well, today I was in Boots again, and I checked my Boots card points and I had enough for a 100ml bottle - so I got one.

I can see the nodding acquaintance with Eau Sauvage that carlos-uk mentioned, and with YSL Jazz (especially in the drydown) - and I love both of those. All in all, 1881 is a very well constructed fragrance and it develops nicely with very good longevity - I find it hard to believe I didn't immediately love it on first encounter.

19th January, 2014

rum's avatar

Greece Greece

This was one of my earlier scents before I got into the more niche brands. It's a surprisingly good fragrance - quite masculine with some nice notes in there, although nothing more than "nice". You get a fresh burst of zesty citrus and basil in the opening which eventually dries-down to a slick woody base of Sandalwood, Patchouli, Musk and Oakmoss. Grab a small bottle and keep it in your car or leave in the travel bag for those work journeys away from home. Sorted!

09th January, 2014

carlos-uk's avatar

One of those "unremarkable" fragrances that I realised I was buying my fifth bottle of last week and therefore perhaps not "unremarkable" at all.

This does have a minor resemblance to Eau Savage too it but it's a passing nod rather than the full on 'yes, I showered then pissed myself and let it go stale' smell that I can't handle about Eau Savage. Equally, the current formulation reminds me a little, initially at least of YSL Jazz.

I always associate this fragrance with Indecent Proposal (the movie) as Robert Redfords wardrobe was from the 1881 collection for that movie. This fragrance was doing the rounds at the time. It has never been a BIG thing, certainly not in this country but it's still there on the shelf. I'm inclined to say the quality has slipped a little. The box isn't as detailed as it once was and the scent, close though it is, isn't the same but them, what from that time is?

I can really add nothing more other than to say, I love it. I would have been 13/14 years old when this came out. I liked it at the time but it was too old for me then. Not so anymore. Love to wear it and long may it continue.

An unsung hero.

05th January, 2014

Add your review of 1881

Search for on eBay United States

1881 by NINO Cerruti Perfume 3.3 oz / 3.4 oz edt Spray New in Box
    • Time Left: 4 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    1881 Black by Cerruti Eau De Toilette Spray 3.4 oz GREAT!!!!
    • Listing Type: Auction with Buy it Now
    • Time Left: 14 days
    1881 BY NINO CERRUTI 3.4/3.3 OZ EDT SPRAY TESTER FOR MEN
    • Time Left: 28 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    1881 POUR HOMME by Nino Cerruti 3.4 oz EDT Spray Men's Cologne New 100 ml TESTER
    • Time Left: 29 days