1881 pour Homme (1990)

PackagingSerge Mansau
Parent CompanyBenckiser > Coty Inc > Coty Prestige
Parent Company at launchUnilever > Elizabeth Arden > Parfums International

About 1881 pour Homme

1881 was the year Nino Cerruti's grandfather opened his textile business in Biella, Italy.
The 1881 fragrance is distinctive, natural, fresh and captures the essence of Mediterranean life.

1881 pour Homme fragrance notes

Reviews of 1881 pour Homme

Liberté Égalité Fougèrité

Michael Edwards classifies 1881 pour Homme as a citrus.

It has a yellow citrus background, on which aromatic, fougère, green tree resins, white lily bouquet, iris, spicy and chypre elements progress.

Taxonomically, 1881 pH falls somewhere between Eau Sauvage, Pour Monsieur de Chanel, a lily soliflor such as Donna Karan Gold, and Dior Homme.

Comfortable to wear, it settles to an elegant fougère with dandified floral chic.

Strangely overlooked in The Guide, I wonder why...

****
14th July, 2016
1881 transports me to citrus groves under the beating Mediterranean sun. Not something I would usually go for and comes across a bit dated at times but there is just something about this summery fresh fragrance that I can't escape. Sillage and longevity are average on me.
30th April, 2016
During a family holiday in my university days, the folks took me into one of those used-to-be-good "duty free" perfume shops on Jersey and said "choose one of anything you like" - up to a certain price, of course. In those days I had no idea what I was looking at. I eventually chose a 100ml splash bottle of something called "Lichfield", which I selected for its smooth inoffensiveness and English tie-ins (such things being important back in the day). After that bottle was finished, I did what any non-aficionado does, that is, buy random bottles of things that I liked or thought I liked, and never the same one twice.

Fast forward about twenty years, to the birth of my more or less non-rational need to find out about all things olfactory. During a speed-test of various open bottles in Boots, I came across Cerruti 1881. Imagine my surprise when I found it to be a near-simulant of Lichfield. A second-hand purchase for closer inspection soon followed.

Cerruti is rather "rougher" than Lichfield but I am intrigued to note how simliar two scents can be that both pertain to exemplify life in disparate locations - the manicured lawns and woodland of the home counties on one hand, the rugged Mediterranean coasts on the other.

Cerruti starts for me with a melange of aromatics, particularly juniper, lavendar, and citrus. I don't get too much by way of transition through a heart phase, but it ends with traces of the top notes alongside a generous helping of fir balsam, a favourite of mine and the dominant note by far.

Super to wear without thinking in the summer. Masculine but not brainless, and particularly good value. Some difference in the reviews, but my inexperienced nose has this down as a chypre. Average longevity and sillage, but that's average for me, so very satisfactory.
12th April, 2016
I didn't realise I hadn't reviewed this so here goes :
I've owned this for a few years and had distinctly different impressions of it in that time.
On first acquaintance I got that "lewdness" or "indecency" that a couple have mentioned which I'm not quite sure how to describe, but was present in the top notes, soon giving way to something fresh, distinctive and rather pleasant.
Wearing it months later in the summer I noticed the dryness and freshness of the herbs, particularly basil, in the opening and how great the drydown was in the heat ( the citrus really lasts, unusually)
Wearing it again today in the cold I noticed blackcurrant for the first time, and checked the notes here to see if that was listed, as I was really enjoying wearing it and got the bit of sweetness I'd always felt was just lacking from the edt ( though not the aftershave, which is less dry citrus/herbal in character and recommended ). Also I finally identified the juniper which gives this scent much of it's character.
In short I'll be replacing my bottle when it eventually runs out. Perhaps not an earth shattering fragrance but distinctive, versatile and fairly complex and with good projection and longevity, plus available remarkably cheaply.
15th March, 2016
A very pleasant, cool, woody fragrance. Coniferous trees just felled. Silvian freshness without intensive citrus; so for me it speaks of Northern climes. Later more herby and aromatic, slightly spicy, but with no loss of the wood, finally fading to a powdery skin scent.
This is a great (for me more daytime) scent to wear anywhere. You can relax that its pleasant freshness wouldn't cause anyone to reach to open the windows....
It's not WOW, unique, groundbreaking "love or hate", but it's a really pleasant, clean, masculine fragrance. I actually find it rather uplifting, like a walk in the forest on a cool, fresh day to blow away the concerns of the office, lighten your mood and put everything in perspective.
Sillage normal, ie about right for a daytime scent, lasting about 3 hours on me.
February 2016
14th February, 2016
A refreshing citrus herbal fougere, reminiscent of Aramis, lighter on me than expected from the reviews.

Very green herbal/citrus melange over a wood base that smells more like cypress and cedar than the sandalwood mentioned in the note tree.

Turin's four stars and "citrus rose" are on the mark. As it dries down, the rose, ylang ylang and currant notes emerge with the citrus fading to the background.

Bracing and refreshing, but not outstanding in any way. Just a "nice" alternative to the men's powerhouse scents of the 1980s-1990s.
28th October, 2015