4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser (1792)
by 4711 (originally by Muelhens)

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser information

Year of Launch1792

House4711
Originally byMuelhens
PerfumerWilhelm Muelhens
Parent CompanyMäurer & Wirtz
Parent Company at launchMuelhens

About 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser

The original cologne water. This light refreshing cologne has been popular for over two hundred years. Invented in Cologne, Germany (surprise!) in a house with the number "4711". It was originally developed for medicinal purposes. The fascinating story behind this cologne can be found at www.4711.com.
The ingredients are still top secret today, with only the main ingredients known.

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser fragrance notes

Reviews of 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser

The originator, German namesake of all that men call fragrance, is a very light, agreeable, fresh, combination of citrus and neroli. As inexpensive as it is, it's hard to be critical of the longevity, which is severely lacking, so if in doubt, spray more, or reserve for the summer or when you don't want to project much. It's the classic soapy fresh scent that leans slightly toward traditional sunblock but not so much to be prohibitive, just reminiscent of the beach / pool. And it's not so warm weather-leaning that it wouldn't be pleasant to use year round either.

It's a cheaper substitute for Thierry Mugler Cologne in my opinion, and not much is lost on longevity, just on projection. And it's a good impostor for Tom Ford Neroli Portofino, as well, but between 4711 and TFNP there is no comparison on projection, the TF entry being a full on EDP of the private blend line.

Great, cheap fragrance that should be part of any collection but only misses high marks due to lacking projection and longevity.

6 out of 10
29th April, 2015
Purchased for $7 at a discount retailer. Not sure I exactly understand this fragrance or how it should be worn. I see many reviews allude to an after shower brace, or a sleeping scent - which I really don't want to try. I also see some mention of "layering" it with other fragrances, which frankly scares me when I consider the possible outcomes.

4711 is not a terrible scent, and actually smells more modern to me than it does "old". It's bitter lime/citrus with a hint of musk. Smells slightly like some kind of cleaning fluid for the first couple of minutes and then settles down into a sour musk. Within 30 minutes it's gone completely.

Interesting experiment for $7, but I doubt I'll wear this anyplace as it doesn't last at all.
21st April, 2015
Good for after a shower and sleeping scent.
06th April, 2015
4711 is my old familiar friend. I purchased my first bottle of this centuries old eau de cologne at a Boots store in England. My first impression was that it was a pleasant, classic eau de cologne with a burst of citrus, nothing too elaborate but very much like a sunshine day on the Riviera. Still, I found myself slapping this on more often than any other fragrance that I have. I still do, and I go through many bottles of this a year. It is perfect behind one's ears, in bath water, to scent a handkerchief, etc. Again, it is not a dramatic scent, but certainly a firm favourite of mine.
15th February, 2015 (last edited: 18th March, 2015)
The original eau de cologne with its 220 year old formula of mixing orange, lemon, neroli lavender and rosemary with other botanicals to create a crisp, refreshing summer splash that lasts quite a long time, despite its being close to the skin for the wearer to enjoy.

This is also available in sachet packets that I have kept refrigerated and refreshed myself with on a hot summer days. As the alcohol evaporates, the body cools down delightfully.

Still manufactured according to its original formula and luckily one of the most affordable scents in the entire scent catalogue.

Every cologne house and couture house has copied this and given it its own name. You still however cannot beat the original or its price.

Highly recommended.
21st November, 2014
Emoe Show all reviews
Sadly, I fell I to the trap of the positive reviews of this fragrance, and blind bought a bottle.

I think if I had burned the money, taken the ash and mixed it with some pee, it would have lasted longer and smelled better!
to be honest, I don't care about some fancy story, this cologne is a complete waste.

I think in all honesty, I'd liken it to some cool tap water, with a squeeze of lemon and lime, some old spice fragrance essence mixed together.

And it lasts about as long as the lid is off.

27th August, 2014

Add your review of 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser

Shop for 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser products online

Search Amazon for 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser

Member images of 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser

There are no member images of 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser yet. Why not be the first?

Perfumes launched in the same year as 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser (1792)