4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser (1792)
by 4711 (originally by Muelhens)

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser information

Year of Launch1792

House4711
Originally byMuelhens
PerfumerWilhelm Muelhens
Parent CompanyMäurer & Wirtz
Parent Company at launchMuelhens

About 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser

The original cologne water. This light refreshing cologne has been popular for over two hundred years. Invented in Cologne, Germany (surprise!) in a house with the number "4711". It was originally developed for medicinal purposes. The fascinating story behind this cologne can be found at www.4711.com.
The ingredients are still top secret today, with only the main ingredients known.

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser fragrance notes

Reviews of 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser

When it comes to Eaux de Colognes, its not the idea you're paying for but the quality of execution. 4711 isn't bad, but its not so good either, it soon loses its refreshing edge as the citrus oils go pithy and dull.

No one expects longevity from an EdC. Putting musk in it is like putting ice cubes in your chilled white wine to keep it cool, it doesn't have much effect and just spoils the taste.

Instead of trying to spin out an ephemeral creation, it would be sensible for Mäurer & Wirtz to excise the musk from their formula and spend that money on better quality oils.

***
15th June, 2016 (last edited: 16th June, 2016)
The original and for me still one of the best. 4771 is so summery and fresh, it reminds me of Mediterranean beaches. In short, one of my favourite smells, I just wish they would make an edt/edp version that lasted longer than half an hour. This will be replaced when it runs out.
30th April, 2016
a very simple cologne, reminds me of the spray applied by the gentleman's barber after a short back and sides. Not sophisticated but still a classic cologne from a bygone era.
27th September, 2015
JySy Show all reviews
Upon first smell I wondered what was so familiar about it up until I realised that it was the spit of hospital disinfectant.
I think we have lemon floor cleaner that would work as a better fragrance than this. It certainly lasts longer.

I take pride in my impeccable nose and I can only detect a very small trace of it on my wrists under an hour after application. I can smell less of it than the fragrance I applied 24 hours previously. Although I'd imagine this would probably work better mixed with another scent rather than on it's own.

It also burns a lot if put on fragile, scarred or broken skin. I tend to put fragrances on my chest and with this I immediately regretted it as it made contact with some old scars I got from sweat rashes and a burst spot. It cut right through me and it was like I'd just put on pure acid.
If you're prone to skin conditions like psoriasis, eczema, etc or have poor-healing, dry skin like myself I highly advise not using this.
19th June, 2015 (last edited: 20th June, 2015)
Nothing fancy about this....a quick lemon punch in the gob...use this when hungover after a long hot shower and you will feel ready for society again ...like a run and jump into the pool, you always feel better for it afterwards.
03rd June, 2015
The originator, German namesake of all that men call fragrance, is a very light, agreeable, fresh, combination of citrus and neroli. As inexpensive as it is, it's hard to be critical of the longevity, which is severely lacking, so if in doubt, spray more, or reserve for the summer or when you don't want to project much. It's the classic soapy fresh scent that leans slightly toward traditional sunblock but not so much to be prohibitive, just reminiscent of the beach / pool. And it's not so warm weather-leaning that it wouldn't be pleasant to use year round either.

It's a cheaper substitute for Thierry Mugler Cologne in my opinion, and not much is lost on longevity, just on projection. And it's a good impostor for Tom Ford Neroli Portofino, as well, but between 4711 and TFNP there is no comparison on projection, the TF entry being a full on EDP of the private blend line.

Great, cheap fragrance that should be part of any collection but only misses high marks due to lacking projection and longevity.

6 out of 10
29th April, 2015

Add your review of 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser

Shop for 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser products online

Shop for 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser

Member images of 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser

There are no member images of 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser yet. Why not be the first?

Perfumes launched in the same year as 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser (1792)