4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser (1792)
by 4711 (originally by Muelhens)

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser information

Year of Launch1792

Originally byMuelhens
PerfumerWilhelm Muelhens
Parent CompanyMäurer & Wirtz
Parent Company at launchMuelhens

About 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser

The original cologne water. This light refreshing cologne has been popular for over two hundred years. Invented in Cologne, Germany (surprise!) in a house with the number "4711". It was originally developed for medicinal purposes. The fascinating story behind this cologne can be found at
The ingredients are still top secret today, with only the main ingredients known.

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser fragrance notes

Reviews of 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser

a very simple cologne, reminds me of the spray applied by the gentleman's barber after a short back and sides. Not sophisticated but still a classic cologne from a bygone era.
27th September, 2015
JySy Show all reviews
Upon first smell I wondered what was so familiar about it up until I realised that it was the spit of hospital disinfectant.
I think we have lemon floor cleaner that would work as a better fragrance than this. It certainly lasts longer.

I take pride in my impeccable nose and I can only detect a very small trace of it on my wrists under an hour after application. I can smell less of it than the fragrance I applied 24 hours previously. Although I'd imagine this would probably work better mixed with another scent rather than on it's own.

It also burns a lot if put on fragile, scarred or broken skin. I tend to put fragrances on my chest and with this I immediately regretted it as it made contact with some old scars I got from sweat rashes and a burst spot. It cut right through me and it was like I'd just put on pure acid.
If you're prone to skin conditions like psoriasis, eczema, etc or have poor-healing, dry skin like myself I highly advise not using this.
19th June, 2015 (last edited: 20th June, 2015)
Nothing fancy about this....a quick lemon punch in the gob...use this when hungover after a long hot shower and you will feel ready for society again a run and jump into the pool, you always feel better for it afterwards.
03rd June, 2015
The originator, German namesake of all that men call fragrance, is a very light, agreeable, fresh, combination of citrus and neroli. As inexpensive as it is, it's hard to be critical of the longevity, which is severely lacking, so if in doubt, spray more, or reserve for the summer or when you don't want to project much. It's the classic soapy fresh scent that leans slightly toward traditional sunblock but not so much to be prohibitive, just reminiscent of the beach / pool. And it's not so warm weather-leaning that it wouldn't be pleasant to use year round either.

It's a cheaper substitute for Thierry Mugler Cologne in my opinion, and not much is lost on longevity, just on projection. And it's a good impostor for Tom Ford Neroli Portofino, as well, but between 4711 and TFNP there is no comparison on projection, the TF entry being a full on EDP of the private blend line.

Great, cheap fragrance that should be part of any collection but only misses high marks due to lacking projection and longevity.

6 out of 10
29th April, 2015
Purchased for $7 at a discount retailer. Not sure I exactly understand this fragrance or how it should be worn. I see many reviews allude to an after shower brace, or a sleeping scent - which I really don't want to try. I also see some mention of "layering" it with other fragrances, which frankly scares me when I consider the possible outcomes.

4711 is not a terrible scent, and actually smells more modern to me than it does "old". It's bitter lime/citrus with a hint of musk. Smells slightly like some kind of cleaning fluid for the first couple of minutes and then settles down into a sour musk. Within 30 minutes it's gone completely.

Interesting experiment for $7, but I doubt I'll wear this anyplace as it doesn't last at all.
21st April, 2015
4711 is my old familiar friend. I purchased my first bottle of this centuries old eau de cologne at a Boots store in England. My first impression was that it was a pleasant, classical eau de cologne with a burst of citrus, nothing too elaborate but very much like a sunshine day on the Riviera. Still, I found myself slapping this on more often than any other fragrance that I have. I still do, and I go through many bottles of this a year. It is perfect behind one's ears, in bath water, to scent a handkerchief, etc. Again, it is not a dramatic scent, but certainly a firm favourite of mine.
15th February, 2015 (last edited: 09th October, 2015)

Add your review of 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser

Shop for 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser products online

Shop for 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser

Member images of 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser

There are no member images of 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser yet. Why not be the first?

Perfumes launched in the same year as 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser (1792)