4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser (1792)
by 4711 (originally by Muelhens)

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser information

Year of Launch1792

House4711
Originally byMuelhens
PerfumerWilhelm Muelhens
Parent CompanyMäurer & Wirtz
Parent Company at launchMuelhens

About 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser

The original cologne water. This light refreshing cologne has been popular for over two hundred years. Invented in Cologne, Germany (surprise!) in a house with the number "4711". It was originally developed for medicinal purposes. The fascinating story behind this cologne can be found at www.4711.com.
The ingredients are still top secret today, with only the main ingredients known.

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser fragrance notes

Reviews of 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser

This is the same formula as the first eau de cologne ever produced, back in 1792 in the city of Cologne, Germany. It is one of the oldest perfumes still in production continously. It is theorized that the emporer Napolean Bonaparte would use an entire bottle of this every day. All modern colognes are based on this blend, particularly so with Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino which is basically a copy of this with added strength. The opening is very soapy and smells a lot like neroli (orange blossom), but I also detect strong notes of lemon and lime. The notes smell very natural as well, and not synthetic at all. On drydown it smells mainly of soapy neroli; it is extremely pleasant. The fragrance does not lean masculine or feminine - and I actually bought a bottle of this for my mom as well. The sillage is weak leaning moderate while the longevity is also very weak (lasts about 1-2 hours max), however - but this was the case with traditional eau de colognes which were meant to freshen up and not as long-lasting perfumes. I bought a large 200 ml splash bottle of this and simply decant it in a travel atomizer that I carry with me, which I spray before I'm meeting people at times. For this purpose, it works very well indeed. Overall I absolutely love the scent of this although the sillage and longevity are fleeting - though there have been alternatives made in this neroli-citrus style like Mugler Cologne, Ferrari's Bright Neroli, Bond No. 9 Eau de New York, Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza, and Tom Ford Neroli Portofino Forte. Being a neroli fanatic, I own most of these already but still appreciate 4711 EDC. It is one of two 'historical' colognes I have, the other being Pinaud's virgin island bay rum.

03rd May, 2018
I might try a proper review of this at some point but I'm not sure what I can add that hasn't already been said.

But for me, it's a nice refreshing aftershave marketed as a Cologne.

I'll give it a 3.5/5 for the scent, the performance a 1/5.

I got a little vintage bottle of it (no idea how old it is) and it's projection seems subpar-to-decent: it's certainly not strong. It's longevity seems somewhere between weak and ok. It seems to last an hour, tops.

But it's perfect to put on after a shower and a shave.

I've read of someone who kept his in the refrigerator to cool off after coming home after a long hot day and I can see it would be good for that.

For me, due to it's subpar strength, it's a "cologne" in name only and I only use it as an aftershave. It's masculine but I wouldn't wear it on a date: it's not romantic or sexy. Just nice, lemony, pretty clean and refreshing.
03rd April, 2018
I want to rate 4711 because for the most part this is not a bad fragrance.Not manly at all but could pass a clean gentleman's scent.A pleasant amount of lemon and hints of orange.A light twist of rose petal adds a little color and makes it a smooth 'come hither' note.Musk...as this scent dries I get hints of musk and very vague sandalwood.

As an Eau De Cologne it's gone in 20-30 minutes on my list so being able to pick up all this?you have to splash on a lot.

The thumbs-down rating that sealed it's fate is one other note in 4711 that is aquatic that tries to reflect a juiciness or watery vibe to compliment the freshness of the citrus.No it doesn't reflect the beach in any way.It's identical to chlorinated water...pool water.How in the world can someone find enjoyment in smelling like a germicidal agent(laughing)?but hey...to each his/her own.
11th March, 2018
I think this might be the first fragrance (used with this purpose) I might have encountered and worn, at my grandparent's place. It reminds me of them, even though I don't like Eaux de Cologne in general. I smelled it again in Köln (because I was there, so why not?) some years ago. It smelled softer, sweeter and more lemony than in my memories.
25th February, 2018
I stocked up on this years ago when our local men's store went out of business. I think I paid $20 each for a HUGE bottle regularly marked $80. I bought 3 and am down to my last bottle ... all purchased 10 years ago and they smell exactly the same as when I bought them. I was at a store the other day and saw a tester of this and sprayed on a bit. What I smelled was a dull, watered down version of the original formula.

My grandfather wore this scent. He would give my father a bottle each year. This reminds me of being in my dad's car on the way to basketball practice or getting picked up after a baseball game. It always smelled a bit 'dad-like' and old man-style. Kind of like Old Spice. I remember that the REAL bottles had no spray. This was a splash on cologne. My tipoff that things had changed were that the giant heavy glass bottles (seriously, an empty bottle weighed as much as an empty champagne bottle) were gone and it now came in a cheap bottle with a spray top.

Increasingly, companies are buying tried and true legacy brands and cheapening them. Diluting them and making them 'cost effective' by adding cheaper ingredients and dumbing them down. That's the story of America, even in these times where vinyl records are back in style as are shaving brushes, straight razors and artesian mixed cocktails, the younger generation is being indoctrinated to iconic brands and wondering what all the fuss is about when they get the new diluted versions. The Bass weekjun was once an iconic made in the USA product with hand stitched leather soles and would last you 20 years if you took care of them. Now they are made in El Salvador, feature a low grade leather and you won't find a pair that lasts over a year or two. Heck, my dishwasher from 1977 which was in the house since it was built still runs whereas my brother's quit after 5 years.

Long story short ... what you are buying now with this scent is not the iconic scent that was created in Cologne Germany hundreds of years ago. It's not the scent that reportedly George Washington and Ben Franklin wore. It's a facsimile of that scent made with 'cost effective' ingredients. My dad's lasted all day. My older bottles, the scent would last me from early morning well through lunchtime. The newer scent was gone after 30 minutes, like others had said, and smelled watered down and a bit chemical. Nope ... this is not the same stuff I grew up with.

I love Aqua di Parma Colonia and this is of the same style (or was ...) It is a bit Old Spice-like. Neroli is present in a big way. Lots of lemon and bergamot. It is (was) kind of a regal scent but nothing a young man would ever wear. It doesn't elicit compliments from women ... nor does ADP ... or even my Irish Tweed. Abercrombie Fierce, Mont Balnc or Curve get the compliments, amazingly. However if you are old school you'll probably appreciate 1477 and enjoy wearing it. This is more of a cologne for you than for others.

I still have a full bottle of the good stuff before I have to decide if it's worth going with the cheaper, shirt lasting watered down version of the spray on stuff. Some of my favorite scents were ruined in this way. I'm one of the few who loved Sean John Unforgivable. I tried finding bottles of the Multi-Platinum edition which were loaded with essential oils on EBay. Sadly, they are all fake. The new Unforgivable can be had for $30 per 4.2 oz. bottle at Walmart. The new formula lasts 20 minutes and smells nothing like it did when introduced. It's ruined completely after Sean John sold it to a giant conglomerate, the same way 1477 was sold off apparently. Lagerfeld Photo used to be a very unique scent until it too was re formulated and dumbed down into a dilluted mess full of synthetic metallic notes and a 20 minute existence. Same with Dominicana Bay Rum.

So consider my review a warning ... what you smell now is what was not smelled for hundreds of years. You are smelling the dilution of an icon. Maybe try looking on auction sites for 'old formula' bottles ... or stuff in the older stock packaging. If you like old-times classic scents the original stuff will have you smelling like an old aristocrat. It says something that this scent was worn by and handed down by generations.
31st December, 2017
Alcohol and citronella - nothing but. Were I trying to ward away mosquitoes, this "fragrance" would be exceptional. Thankfully I didn't pay much for it, so I can't complain.

From what I've read, this was a great scent years ago and many have reported a decline in the product. I truly hope I got the worst batch from the line, because I can't imagine anyone seriously wearing this on a regular basis (unless for camping, or humorous situations).
29th August, 2017

Add your review of 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser

Shop for 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser products online

Search for on eBay United States

4711 Echt Kolnisch Wasser Muelhens 10.1 oz EDC Women Men Splash Original NEW NIB

• USD $22.99

4711 ORIGINAL EAU DE COLOGNE 3.4/3. OZ FOR MEN IN A BOX BY ECHT KOLNISCH WASSER

• USD $13.78
  • Time Left: 7 days
  • Shipping from: United States

NIB Echt Kolnisch Wasser No. 4711 Original Eau de Cologne 27.1 fl. oz. & More!

• USD $49.99
  • Time Left: 9 days
  • Shipping from: United States

No. 4711 by Echt Kolnisch Wasser for Unisex Miniature EDC Cologne Splash 0.1 oz.

• USD $3.84
  • Time Left: 11 days

4711 Echt Kolnisch Wasser Doppelt 1.7 oz EDC Splash Unisex Cologne NEW unboxed

• USD $8.99
  • Time Left: 14 days
  • Shipping from: United States

Echt Kolnisch Wasser No. 4711 EDC Gift Set .85 FL OZ Cream Soap Vintage With Box

• USD $34.99
  • Time Left: 28 days

4711 Echt Kolnisch Wasser Blau Gold Poppelt Cologne On Rhine 100ml

• USD $8.99 HIGHEST BID
  • Listing Type: Auction – 1 Bid(s)
  • Time Left: 1 day

4711 Echt Kolnisch Wasser Doppelt 2.0 oz EDC Spray Unisex Cologne unboxed

• USD $8.99
  • Time Left: 26 days

No. 4711 by Echt Kolnisch Wasser Unisex EDT Cologne Splash 0.8 oz.Unboxed NEW

• USD $6.04
  • Time Left: 28 days

Member images of 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser

There are no member images of 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser yet. Why not be the first?

Perfumes launched in the same year as 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser (1792)