A*Men / Angel Men (1996)

PerfumerJacques Huclier
PackagingThierry Mugler
Parent CompanyGroupe Clarins

About A*Men / Angel Men

This very distinct sweet fragrance is one of those you either love or hate. Based strongly on the ladies Angel; A*Men (Angel Men in the US) contains unusual notes of Chocolate, Coffee and Caramel. Most of the notes are "edible", so this would appeal to anyone with a sweet tooth. Funky bottle too, which is also available encased in black rubber, that is not only looks stylish but is ideal for travelling.

A*Men / Angel Men fragrance notes

Reviews of A*Men / Angel Men

Loves this stuff. Just an awesome gourmand with great performance. People talk about some tar note, have no idea what that’s about. Get vanilla, coffee, and patchouli goodness. One of my favorite gourmands.
29th September, 2017
Velvety-rich goodness is how I describe this fragrance.

I used to work in the industry as a fragrance model for Liz Claiborne when I was in college. I remember other fragrance models and reps were always begging the Angel rep for a tester. They would trade 3 to 5 of their brands for any of the Angel fragrances. All I had to offer was Curve. Lucky for me, the Angel rep loved Curve for her son so I scored a couple of testers, a mini, shower gel and aftershave balm (yes, they used to have one).

I horded this stuff like it was gold and rarely used it. But when I did, no one could deny the penetration of it's dark sweetness in the air. This fragrance is definitely not for the faint of heart.

A*Men commands attention so if you're a shy person and don't want to stand out, this fragrance isn't for you.
07th June, 2017
Just signed up to post a review of this...thing. Cologne. Being. Animal. Stuff.

I bought it based off the reviews here (many of which are hilariously well written, by the way), and I wasn't disappointed, except that I was, but then I wasn't again.

Most of you---even the ones who love it---note that the opening is "OMG what the hell did I just do to myself, I feel sullied and violated", and it is. I sprayed it and immediately thought "well there's x amount of money wasted". However, my wife smelled it immediately and said "not bad, but I don't know where to place it."

So if she said "not bad" at the OPENING of this, you can imagine that, as it dried down, she liked it more.

And, as it happens, so did I. Let me rephrase: So *DO* I, because it's still occurring. As I type this, it is evolving.

I feel as though when I sprayed this, it bonded to my skin, analyzed my soul, readjusted itself to what IT thinks I should smell like, and then presented itself as if to say "hey, we've scribbled some notes down, did some calculations, and for the next 15 minutes, you're going to smell like a cigar dipped in cocoa powder and rolled down a beachfront. Don't worry, we're made by a magician recluse who looks like a giant German bodybuilder house cat, we've got this. In 15 minutes, we'll check your insides again, and you may smell like your favorite childhood memory stuffed with vanilla beans. Enjoy."

It is SO strong on the outset, and SO...I don't even know what. I really do think it's formulated to do this, to bond to your body and figure out what it wants to do. I know it can't think for itself, but that's really what it's like. It smells NOTHING like it did when I first sprayed it, or the 15 minutes after that, or the 15 minutes after that. It finally started to settle, and when it does, it invites you in, tells you to sit, and brings you a scotch.

Definite vanilla and caramel there, but there's something bitter (a good bitter) that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe a good black and tan? Not sure. There's an initial powdery quality that I'm not overly fond of, but it fades fairly quick, and I think this is where most people get hung up, that powdery, cloying hazy bit at the beginning.

Trust me when I say it fades.

I voted this 4 stars because A) I'm still not sure if I love it as a cologne, or admire it as art, or fear it as some sort of weird Berlin Panther-Man Voodoo...and B ) Because I'm not sure what I'm not sure of. Not yet. It's still changing.

As far as sillage and longevity, pfft, no need to worry there. This stuff will announce you in much the same way that a bakery smells from across the street when someone opens the door to go in...and the weird bit is, that's actually a GOOD thing in this case.

One final thought: If the most complex thing you've worn is Curve, or even something mildly adventurous like Diesel, don't even try this. Go buy yourself some Burberry London, apply liberally, and sit in a warm room by yourself to see if you like it. If you do, then perhaps go sample A*Men. But if BL is too "strong", run like hell.
13th March, 2017
Controversial, polarizing, acquired-taste living legend of a scent from Thierry Mugler!

It's a blizzard of gourmand, woody, and spicy notes that are quite distinctive and easily noticed by others (but whether people take to it or not is another matter!). Coffee bean is very pronounced, and overall A*Men has an incense quality to it - which in itself is like incense sticks generally, where you'll like it depending on how close you are the source, as well as how MUCH is present (hint: over-applying is NOT a plus with this one!).

Sets the standard for all the flankers to come from Mugler.
26th December, 2016
Stunning. Absolutely, just stunning.

Must Spray on skin after thoroughly bathing and during the freezing temperatures for the full shebang in my opinion.

You will be blown away. A true masterpiece in its offering.

You will smell like a multitude of desserts that exudes boldness conceited like confidence of A gentle-being that is mesmerizing to all. An invigorating manly dessert of no destitute.

THIS FRAGRANCE SCREAMS, IMMMMMMMMMMM HEEEEEEREEEEEEE!!!!!!

20th December, 2016
Short take: This is a "wild" fragrance, sweet and spicy, with a warm drydown. I like it, but I prefer Armani Code (or Code Ultimate or Profumo) to which it shares a family resemblance. Code is less "wild" but more complex and amber. I have a sample, but I don't plan on buying a bottle of the A*Men. I would like to try the A*Men Pure Malt, though.
15th December, 2016