Acqua di Giò pour Homme (1996)
    by Giorgio Armani

Average Rating: 3.5

Based on 1351 ratings

Acqua di Giò pour Homme Fragrance Notes

Acqua di Giò pour Homme information

A light fresh fragrance. The male counterpart to Acqua di Gio for ladies. Ideal for the summer. This fragrance in recent years has been the number one best men's seller in the USA.

Shop for Acqua di Giò pour Homme products online

Reviews of Acqua di Giò pour Homme

Showing 1 to 6 of 295 reviews.

toddsmith7378's avatar

Modern classic. Everyone loves it for a reason. It sprays probably too much so it goes down fast. Also, it doesn't last as long as it used to. Perry Ellis Red is Di Gio, but better. Di Gio is still Di Gio though. Thumbs up.

03 July, 2014

Tmoran's avatar

What the h#% happened to this fragrance? I used to love this stuff. Its always been synthetic. But I dont really care. I think people need to stop equating synthetic with bad. It simply isnt the case. A well done synthetic is preferable to a poorly done natural smell. Think about it. A fart is totally natural. About as natural as you can get. But I would still rather smell like ADG than that.

Perhaps that is being to kind to Acqua di Gio. At least what they are calling Acqua di Gio these days. I havent had this in my collection for a few years as i got caught up in other frags and sorta got bored with ADG. I wanted to revisit it and went to Ulta to try it out and decide what size to get. I really dont know when or what happened but ADG of 10 years ago is nothing what ADG is today. The smell comming from the tester was so generic and light I almost questioned its authenticity. I thought someone had to have walked in there with a fake and swapped it with a real tester.

Unfortunately it turns out ADG has been reformulated somewhere along it life. I have smelled numerous bottles and they all smell of the same generic lemon pledge type smell. Its a shame as the newer reformulation doesnt even have a passing resemblance to its predecessor. In all honesty the newer essenza version has more in common with true ADG than what they are trying to push on people today. Its insulting and just bad business. I really dont know what has been going on with armani lately. All I do know is they have become somewhat the laughing stock of the fragrance community and I think its well earned. Why would you take your best selling frag of all time and change it to the point that you cant even recognize it. I actually thought the popularity of this stuff died off as I stopped smelling it everywhere I went. Turns out I was wrong. I have been smelling it all along but I guess the sheep never noticed a recipe change. Thumbs down until they wake up and return this to its former sythetic bliss.

22 June, 2014

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Aquatic

It’s one of the best selling men’s fragrances on the market. It has 185(!) previous reviews here on Basenotes. Everybody knows Acqa di Gio, and everybody seems to have an opinion on it. Too ephemeral. Can’t scrub it off with turpentine. Weak. Outrageously potent. Too sweet. Too sour. Lively. Dull. Sophisticated. Gauche…and so it goes.

What does Acqua di Gio actually smell like? Why is it so overwhelmingly popular? Two questions, to which I propose a single answer. The name, which I’d loosely translate as “Eau de Joe,” gives a clue to Acqua di Gio’s actual composition. Disregard the loud and tenacious slug of Calone, smell Acqua di Gio carefully, and you’ll find it’s built on a tart lemon top note, followed by an accord of green jasmine and Mediterranean herbs over a light wood and clean musk foundation. In other words, it’s a very traditional eau de Cologne formula floating in a tub of melony-aquatic Calone. Therein lies the genius of Acqua di Gio, and the key to its broad appeal. The underlying structure is as conventional and comfortable as can be: a safe, recognizable formula tricked out in contemporary wrapping.

At least “contemporary” as of 1996. That Acqua di Gio feels so trite and tiresome today has less to do with its ubiquity or quality, I think, than with the ravages of time. Clouds of Calone are no less dated now than those “powerhouse” leathers and fougères that are so inextricably bound with the 1980s in the public imagination. The style is just SO twenty years ago!

Just as importantly, Acqua di Gio suffers from its defining Calone component having long since been commandeered by every soap, shampoo, and laundry detergent on the drugstore shelves. This leaves poor Acqua di Gio smelling banal and cheap. It was never a complex, nuanced, or original fragrance, but what simple appeal Acqua di Gio once held has been trampled by a stampede of similarly scented toiletries and household products. I don’t begrudge this scent’s many admirers, but wearing Acqua di Gio today feels to me like an exercise in high camp. Or maybe just plain slumming.

08 June, 2014

tempest moon's avatar

Sun, sea, salt... and summer in the Mediterranean.

The first time I smelled this, I found it really appealing. There's just something about it that makes safe and likeable, which I still wonder about. Then, I tried other things, forgot about it, dismissed it. As my tastes grew, I called it cheap, common, used the word "aquatic" and put it out of my mind for a few years. That is until recently... when I revisited it, tried it with an open mind, and surprisingly... it was still appealing! It actually feels like lying on an Italian beach, after a swim in the Mediterranean on a hot day in summer.

To start off, I can understand it's popularity, but I'm going to try and focus on why it's popular. Aqua di Gio is the fragrance which started the aquatic trend of the late 90's and which continues to the present day. Put simply... it was a landmark in that field, and spawned countless imitations, very much like Davidoff's Cool Water did 8 years previously. To me this fragrance does not smell as cheap or as cliché as other people make it out to be. It is popular for a reason, and just because it's common doesn't mean it smells any less good.

If I just focus on it's smell, not it's reputation, I would say that it reminds me of the beach under the hot Mediterranean sun. I really think the advertising fits the fragrance perfectly. I get salt water, hits of peach, jasmine and musk. In fact, when I close my eyes I get the impression of a basket of peaches and herbs and flowers all drenched in seawater and left drying in the sun. I don't know why, but that smells fantastic on skin!

I think I know why this is so appealing to many people. Personally I think it's to do with the salty watery vibe it gives off, coupled with flowers and sweet musk. It smells like warm skin, like you just stepped out of the sea (note: this smells nothing like a swimming pool... for those of you talking about calone etc.). To me it gives off a sweet smell of sweat, mixed with sea water and a jasmine floral musk type vibe. In short, it's like stepping out of the sea on a beach in Southern Italy, that's what I get out of it.

Having said that, it's very common and I can only see this working in certain situations, namely summer (especially hot summer days, I think it would do amazingly well then), any situation which involves swimming (beach, pool, vacations), I think it's perfect for a summer holiday by the beach; and finally I find it works best in casual situations, definitely a t-shirt and jeans type scent. Maybe a white or light coloured shirt but never a suit.

Yes it's common, a best-seller worldwide, but in the right type of situation (beach holidays, swimming, t-shirt casual), it works amazingly well. Summer Classic!

Edit: If you're interested in the "Essenza" version released in 2012, I couldn't find much difference between the two just that the eau de parfum focuses more on the woody and floral aspects of the original and less on the aquatic, fresh citrus side.

30th April, 2014

rbaker's avatar

The hesperidic citrus with an aquatic bent discloses this as a summer scent, with a jasmine drydown leading into a fruity phase. It becomes more aquatic with time, with the most notable addition in the base being a rather generic cedarwood note. Nice, refreshing, but in the later phases very generic. Poor longevity of less than two hours on my skin.

13 March, 2014

Ersjr6983's avatar

This is a nice citrusy clean scent that eventually dries down to a calm woody fragrance. It is highly overused by the teenage crowd which is a bit of a turnoff but I have never heard anyone say that they don't like the smell. My wife lives it so I will probably always own a bottle but definitely not a "stand out" fragrance in my own personal opinion.

24 February, 2014

• Listing Type: Auction
    • 1 Bid(s)
    HIGHEST BID
    (Shipping from United States)
    Giorgio Armani, Acqua Di Gio, Pour Homme, Eau de Toilette, 3.4 Fl. Oz.
    (Shipping from United States)
    Acqua Di Gio Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani 5 ml/ 0.17 oz Eau de Toilette Mini NIB
    • Listing Type: Buy it Now
    BNIB Giorgio Armani Acqua Di Gio ~1.0 oz /30 ml Eau De Toilette Pour Homme Men
    • Listing Type: Buy it Now
    • Time Left: 22 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Giorgio Armani, Acqua Di Gio, Pour Homme, Alcohol Free Deodorant Stick, 2.6 Oz.
    (Shipping from United States)
    ACQUA DI GIO GIORGIO ARMANI EDT MEN COLOGNE SPRAY DEMO 3.4 OZ. POUR HOMME NEW !!
    • Time Left: 29 days