Adolfo for Men (1981)

HouseFrances Denney
Parent CompanyThe Stephen Co
Parent Company at launchFrances Denney

About Adolfo for Men

Adolfo for Men is a masculine fragrance by Frances Denney. The scent was launched in 1981

Adolfo for Men fragrance notes

Reviews of Adolfo for Men

H&R's Fragrance Guide from 1989 classified Adolfo as a "Coniferous Chypre" along with Polo, Xeryus and Drakkar Noir but many in that group seem to have been more recently reclassified as Fougeres. To me Adolfo has none of the hallmarks of a fougere (the classic lavender/tonka interplay), with a fresh opening, a mellow spicy-woody heart, and a subtly rich base. The opening to me has always smelled like pineapple, although it is not listed in the pyramid, which is as follows:

Top: Bergamot, galbanum, artemisia, lemon, green note, juniper
Middle: Carnation, cinnamon, thyme, pine, jasmine, rose
Base: Patchouli, olibanum, leather, labdanum, moss, amber, musk

Adolfo is distinctive and subtle, by no means a powerhouse, although it is a product of the 80's, and while it doesn't last in memory the way some of its compatriots do, it's still quite pleasant and worth wearing from time to time.
23rd June, 2015
Very assertive and eighties. I love the lemon in this, I usually don't care for lemon essence, it is prominent in the opening notes and subdued in the background afterward. Beautiful dry down with heady musk and leather dominating. Unfortunately the spray bottle I bought leaks. I'd never heard of this cologne, but I loved it as soon as I put it on. Opulent and refined.
06th November, 2008
Big oily eighties monster -- very green at first, but dry and woodsy later on.

I can't say that I remember it terribly fondly, no, but I certainly can't say that it was crap, either. My dad used to wear this one from time to time, and I remember it as one of many loud, brash Eighties frags, some of which were fabu, some of which were just OK (like Adolfo) and some of which were, well, you get the picture.
05th April, 2008

Add your review of Adolfo for Men

Shop for Adolfo for Men products online

Search Amazon for Adolfo for Men

Member images of Adolfo for Men

There are no member images of Adolfo for Men yet. Why not be the first?