Agua Brava (1968)

PerfumerRosendo Mateu
PackagingAndré Ricard
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group > Puig Fragrance & Personal Care

About Agua Brava

Agua Brava is a masculine fragrance by Antonio Puig. The scent was launched in 1968 and the fragrance was created by perfumers Rosendo Mateu and Marcel Carles. The bottle was designed by André Ricard

Agua Brava fragrance notes

Reviews of Agua Brava

Whenever I wear this I relish it and wonder why I don't find this short and squat bottle more often. Its my favorite Puig scent and always brings to mind a big heavy pot of hearty Mediterranean spiced beef barley soup, simmering away all day long while I expect fresh bread must be baking in the oven. I don't even know if such a dish exists yet that is the image I always get. Yes, spicy comfort food all the way.

It has good potency and if you think you could enjoy smelling that for about 6 hours or so this is a great inexpensive (<$20 for a nice wood capped flask) one to explore. I really appreciate highly enjoyable inexpensive scents like Agua Brava, especially if they are under utilized in my locale, as this is.
18th October, 2016 (last edited: 06th December, 2016)
Great cologne.
Starts with a very brief citrus top note that disappears in seconds. Unless you're actually with someone at close range when you first put this on, you're the only one who'll ever smell this part.
Then it's all fresh Mediterranean herbs: sage, thyme and the like. It's like having rubbed crushed herb leaves on your skin. I like this a lot.
It's an old-fashioned, masculine "aftershave" kind of scent. It smells of outdoors, summer, southern Europe. It's clean and rugged. Here comes the wannabe poetic bit : Think of a black-haired, sun-browned Spanish farmer getting showered and shaved ready for a summer evening out with his girlfriend. Before the days of mobile phones and when everyone had a car, he'll walk along a dust track, all preened in a white shirt and black trousers, past the sun baked allotments and herb gardens, on his way to her parents' house.
I would wear this when I'm in a manly, aftershave kind of mood. In fact I'd almost say this is the perfect splash on scent (almost, because I hate splash on). It just kind of fits with the feeling.
Projection and lasting power not that strong, but that's appropriate if you consider it as an "aftershave" type thing. It actually lasts a lot longer sprayed on clothes. I'd love to try the vintage version sometime too to see if the (presumably real) oakmoss would come through.
June 2016
25th June, 2016
My review of praise for Agua Brava consists of the older red wood-schemed box version which is the old formula.The brown box version has been reformulated and I don't care for it.Two words fit this Eau De Cologne perfectly...'rustic' and 'outdoorsy'.Smells very pleasant of pine needles,vetiver, and lemon oil those are the big notes throughout.At this point it would strike you as a darker toned Acqua Di Selva.But take this scent and put in a bowl made out of laurel leaf.A little warm sandalwood comes in combined with a nutty character.Nutty as in the wonderful aroma of varietal shelled nuts you buy at the grocery store to crack during the holidays.There's nothing barbershop like about Agua Brava.Rustic is the best wording because it smells too natural of outside in the woods and not from a fragrance house.Smells like something mountain folk would make as a fragrance utilizing nature's gifts.I don't praise the current formula because I only pick up the pine and lemon oil primarily and everything else is lacking in nasal color(like the sandalwood and nut note) and the rest it's too faint for me to pick it up.But when I splash this on I get this bombarding note of oregano that's front and center.It tones down but even after 30 mins. I can smell the tail end of it in the blend.Light in projection as in being a tad stronger than an aftershave both ola and new formula.But I do get asked about it when interacting with someone up close.
01st February, 2016
Truly awful sandalwood fragrance.

Smells like nonna's hair after she has been cooking pasta sauce all day.

Cheap but can't be cheap enough to make it worthwhile. Steer clear of this.
06th June, 2015
I like the this very much : woody, soft , aromatic ,masculine and cheap. But it has so weak projection and short longtivity (only 1 hour for me).

I use this as everyday casual scent.
28th May, 2015
"For none but the brave" went the unforgettable advertising for Agua Brava. On my travels I have found the original fragrance still on sale in placs as diverse as AbuDhabi, Cairo, Dammam and east Riffa (Bahrain)!

It is a classic gent's fragrance and evocative of all that is good. Well done Puig.
12th May, 2015

Add your review of Agua Brava

Shop for Agua Brava products online

Shop for Agua Brava at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Agua Brava

Member images of Agua Brava

There are no member images of Agua Brava yet. Why not be the first?