Allure Homme (1999)

Average Rating: 4

Based on 970 ratings

Allure Homme Fragrance Notes

Allure Homme information

Designed to build on the ready built market from Chanel's Allure for women, this fragrance has a wide appeal from young to old. A sensual fragrance in a square bottle with a champagne colour top.

Shop for Allure Homme products online

$138.01*
    150ml EdT
    (*converted from GBP 82.50)

Reviews of Allure Homme

Showing 1 to 6 of 197 reviews.

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Woody Oriental

The kind of peppered fruit on display in Allure Homme’s top notes has become something of a masculine cliché – see Polo Double Black, Burberry London, 8 88, and Black XS for generic variations on the theme, and Noir Epices for an outstanding example. Allure Homme’s fruit notes are both chemical and sticky-sweet, leaving it closer to Double Black and Black XS in quality. Allure Homme settles into a sweet, spicy woody oriental arrangement, centered primarily on a bland amber, clean patchouli, and tonka (coumarin). I find it tiresome after a short time, and keep wishing that the labdanum base note in the pyramid would materialize and add some animalic edge to the faceless amber. Instead there’s a certain nondescript boozy note, reminiscent once more of Burberry London, and increasingly loud and seemingly artificial woods that eventually throw the composition seriously off balance.

To Allure Homme’s credit, it never smells completely unpleasant. In fact, it’s ultimately bland and “safe.” Perhaps that’s why it’s been so popular. But with so many fine woody oriental masculines to choose from, I see no reason to wear this undistinguished entry. Go try Héritage, Jaïpur Homme EdT, Body Kouros, or Paul Smith London instead.

08 June, 2014

ClarkScent's avatar

While I can enjoy this for what it is, there are things that keep me from loving this. Chanel quality all the way thru but it just gives off the vibe that this is meant to be safe. Although it's my least favorite of the line, it's still good. I go easy on the trigger because I don't want to buy another bottle and it completes my Chanel collection.

06 May, 2014

2nosedtwin's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Merde!

This used to be a perfume i really liked when it first came out. Good memories: the south of france, sunshine, beach... Is it my imagination or did this undergo a reformulation? Its stuck in my head because of its explosion of fresh and zesty sweet-orange fruit, really juicy with a great natural flow to it. A perfume that didnt took itself too seriously and was enjoying itself. A simple linear, exploding blast of the celebration of summertime- like that moment you realize its summer because the sun touches your soul en melts the last cold in your body, that shiver down your spine that hits you...

Where did that go? I tried it yesterday with a tester i got from my local perfumery, pretty sure this is not a 10 years old version. So, this sure didnt had that blast of crispy, zesty, ripe orangey fruit, instead it smelled like a pale, synthetic, brushed, plastic-like fruitcocktail with little real freshness, backed up by the smell of a sweet-like glue-note. After an hour or so a manifest of creamy honey-like chamomile-calendula kicked in with an apricot-note. And a polite, clean musk-note that was struggling to find its way in the light amber-vanille accord. Marine-notes all over the place in between all this to, but without the fresh, big-juicy and zesty topnotes that it used to have, radiating its joyfullness inside the heart of it, this structure fails to let its flesh live up, getting warm and being comfortable with itself. The magic has turn cold...

Originally i think it never got the credit that it deserved to get... Maybe because it appears to be too simple, (linear) and too friendly for a Chanel-perfume. But if you are able to just flow with this one, letting go of a critical nose and preferences, just empty your head and have fun, this perfume made/makes the perfect partner for a memorable, sunny summerday thats impossible to forget. Well, at least thats what happened to me...

(i still like this better than Terre d'Hermes btw)

24 April, 2014

dark's avatar

This is where I find myself in relation to the many reviews of this fragrance here:

agree: warm, sweet/cloying, creamy, generic, feminine

disagree: fresh, complex, masculine, classy, sexy, tobacco

This fragrance was barely distinguishable from about a dozen others I smelled yesterday, but the opening appealed to me, so I put one spray on each wrist and went on my way. I was quickly enveloped in a sweet, thick, cloying cloud which did not evolve in any perceptible way over the next hour or so. I was in a museum, and Allure Homme did, indeed, turn heads. But not in a good way. I can't really speak for the dry down (except the bit remaining on my sleeve this morning, which is pleasant enough), because I was beginning to feel sick and had to find a bathroom and scrub this stuff off, which took some doing. I have never had to do that before.

I found this fragrance terribly sweet, with little to recommend it. It reminded me of the fragrance department in a large, undistinguished department store. A kind of heavy mush of synthetic florals with vague hints of kitchen spices (and over-cooked vegetables?) lurking in the background. This is the fragrance on the middle-aged woman who plops down beside you on an airplane and you just want to...well, you know, you're not happy.

Although I recognize how subjective this all is, I am a little shocked by the vast number of glowing reviews here. I do notice, though, that more than a few people with lukewarm reviews (and even some who seem to quite dislike this fragrance) for some reason give it the thumbs up. I can only think that's about the brand. Definitely not a fan.

02 February, 2014 (Last Edited: 03 February, 2014)

Oproust's avatar

Allure Homme is a creamy, green, citrusy fragrance that displays restrained elegance. Allure Homme is very "Chanel": smooth, classy and free of obvious flaws as it unfolds on my wrist. Safe? Yes. Boring? Maybe. Allure Homme is not exactly ground breaking, but it is a pleasure to wear. Good longevity and projection. I initially rated this "neutral". After additional testing, I've changed my rating to a "thumbs up". Not everything needs to be a masterpiece. Allure Homme isn't, it just smells nice. Sometimes that's all I need.

06 January, 2014 (Last Edited: 12 January, 2014)

Possum-Pie's avatar

Peppercorns, Bergamot sandalwood. Put them together and you have the most generic fragrance i have ever smelled. I am not a 'fragrance snob' I own dept. store frags, but they need to put something together that I can differentiate from every other frag out there to win my vote.

05 May, 2013

• 5 Bid(s)
    • Time Left:
    HIGHEST BID
    (Shipping from Turkey)
    CHANEL ALLURE HOMME SPORT EAU EXTREME EDT Spray 1.7 Oz / 50 ml NEW ITEM !
    • Time Left: 9 days
    • Time Left: 23 days
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche 3.4oz Men's Eau de Toilette
    • Time Left: 29 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    CHANEL ALLURE HOMME SPORT Eau De Toilette Spray 1.7 Oz / 50 ml NEW NO BOX ITEM !
    • Time Left: 13 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    CHANEL ALLURE HOMME EDITION BLANCHE MEN 3.4 oz 100ML EDT CONCENTREE SPRAY TESTER
    • Time Left: 27 days