Ambre Sultan (1993)

HouseSerge Lutens
PerfumerChristopher Sheldrake
Parent CompanyShiseido

About Ambre Sultan

Ambre Sultan is a shared / unisex perfume by Serge Lutens. The scent was launched in 1993 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Christopher Sheldrake

Ambre Sultan fragrance notes

Reviews of Ambre Sultan

Salutation.

It is always a conversation starter.what is it?where can i get it?An intimate, seductive and hot fragrance that is inspired by the timeless emotions of being deep in love.Delicoous and Dangerous at the same time.in other words Sweet,Potent,Passionate, Spicy,Woody,Subtle,Sultry and Laudable.

Sharp and strong opening with exotic elements,the middle notes are balanced but the base notes are the best part this one for me,when a sensual base of hot amber and wood with patchouli add comfort and warmth.The result is a sheer sensuality and this scents reminds me a hot Arabian woman.

AMBRE SULTAN is a definite keeper.More suitable for a mature lady.It is reserved for COLD weather and INTIMATE/SPECIAl occasions.It is not for Everyone, Ladies if you are loking for a gorgeous amber smell that will make the men drop at you,I would recommend this one.

Sillage?Strong

Longevity?8 hours on my skin.

7.5/10
01st June, 2015 (last edited: 13th June, 2015)
The first spray of this was a fantastic array of spices and resins and just a hint of something so familiar and personal, something almost sub-conscious, from my childhood. I couldn't really concentrate on breaking the fragrance down because of it, I just had to keep sniffing. It was great!

This is one of those fragrances that plays all kinds of tricks. I've learned to spray just my wrists when I'm first testing a fragrance so that I can get an idea of what it smells like to someone at arms-length from me. This fragrance smells like one thing up close when your nose is buried in your wrist and a completely different thing when a bit of the scent wafts up from my wrists, and I realized that the great spicy accord is the one I smell right up close but the one wafting up from my wrists at arms-length was the very familiar accord from my childhood, and as it got stronger, it hit me what that smell was: play-doh. Unmistakable, as true as if I had just opened one of those little yellow plastic tubs with the red lids. This only gets stronger as the heart notes continue. I've only seen a couple of reviewers here mention the play-doh note and only a couple over on the "other" fragrance review site so it seems to be a skin chemistry thing which is too bad because my bright-eyed excitement over how the scent opened turned into disappointment at smelling like I rolled around in a child's art classroom.

That being said, the scent does seem well-blended and well-put-together and is very intriguing to me from an artistic point of view. The fragrance is like vivid imagery in a way that most are not. This seems to be a regular thing for the SL line since most of them bring images and feelings directly into my mind and have some artistic merit. As for actually wearin this though, I am unlikely to wear it again unless I find myself in the highly improbable scenario that I'm meeting someone whom I need to impress by impersonating a children's teacher.
02nd March, 2015
I'm a relative noob, here....but I gotta say this is absolutely amazing. I'm in love with Iris Silver Mist, and thought that was THE ONE! It may still be, but this permeates my skin and wafts gently around me for hours...it's wonderful. The Amber wrapped in a subtle sweetness is the kicker. So far, I would put this just (barely) below L'air du desert marocain...and Ava Luxe Madame X, which has sadly, been discontinued. This is truly amazing. Im so glad I bought an FB.
10th February, 2015
Didn't take long to remember what AS smelled like. AMBRE RUSSE hit me after about 10 minutes of applying. This stuff is great. The first few minutes gave me the impression that a mistake was made purchasing AS. That impression didn't last long. You get that skankiness in the initial spray.Other than Musc Ravageur, this fragrance turns from horrible to great in a matter of minutes. You don't have to wait until the drydown to get this effect though. 8.5/10
16th September, 2014
Faultless perfect amber goodness.

Nothing needs to be added or tweaked in neither smell nor performance for me. No 'i wish', No 'if only'. Just perfect.

A beautiful blend of sweet resins and herbal aromatic reinforcements laying on a golden silky bed of amber and vanilla.

Bay leaf and myrrh are the middle name here and are key components to the uniqueness of this beauty.

It's funny the color of the juice is orange because that's how i exactly envision the smell of this scent: Sunkissed sweet resins melting and gently swirling in a form of orange/golden liquid on my skin.

Who needs gourmands when you got this ?
02nd August, 2014
Strong Amber, smokey and super super dry and very sweet. This one is pretty much linear but is very challenging expectially at the beginning. It's name applies to what it is, Amber (or the king of ambers if you will) and this is about as amber as you can get. Can come off as too mature (I see my grandmother wearing this). For me it's neutral but I still rate this a 4 out of star only because it's done so well as expected from this house and its what I expected. Amber fans may find this the holy grail for pure amber based frags.
27th June, 2014

Add your review of Ambre Sultan

Shop for Ambre Sultan products online

Shop for Ambre Sultan at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Ambre Sultan

Member images of Ambre Sultan

There are no member images of Ambre Sultan yet. Why not be the first?