Ambre Sultan (1993)

HouseSerge Lutens
PerfumerChristopher Sheldrake
Parent CompanyShiseido

About Ambre Sultan

Ambre Sultan is a shared / unisex perfume by Serge Lutens. The scent was launched in 1993 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Christopher Sheldrake

Ambre Sultan fragrance notes

Reviews of Ambre Sultan

Stardate 20161019:

A nice Amber fragrance with some vanilla in it. A bit dirtier than most Ambers.

A reference masculine Amber. Enough said.

FB Worthy
19th October, 2016
Perfect resinous amber, not the light powdery stuff that is in so many women's perfumes. I get a few nice woody notes, pine and cedar mixed in there, but the amber is still the star. A sweet vanilla comes in during the drydown an this must be what is making everyone say it's so feminine.

14th October, 2016
Dry, sweet, smoky, utterly evocative. Somewhat Guerlain-like in style. A must-try. (I feel bad writing so little - must mull this over more...).
01st September, 2016
Sweet amber and smokey incense. Perfectly named. What it reminds me of is campfire marshmallows. Projects nicely and feels heavy with warmth, so don't go overboard with the sprays. More of a cold weather fragrance.
10th May, 2016
To me it's very similar to Amber Absolute, but in a softer, more civilised, more feminine - more French - way. I love both.
26th February, 2016
This is actually one fragrance where I have to agree with everything Luca Turin says about it in his book the "A-Z Guide to Perfume!" It does indeed smell like a "hippie shop!" :D I could actually sit and name specific stores I've been in that tend to use this type of scent in the air as ambiance! I won't name them though, because I'm not affiliated with them, but I know exactly what Turin means! :D Several of the perfume oils I've tried from "Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab" are quite similar to this one too, since they often tend to favour amber based fragrances.
There are a few impressions of my own that I would like to add too though.
"Ambre Sultan" is overall a fairly dark, green, smoky, earthy and somewhat bitter scent. It does actually contain some vanilla notes that were pretty noticeable when I first sprayed this fragrance on from my sample tube, but there isn't really enough vanilla to "balance" out the bitter and smoky notes, and I felt like the sweet notes faded out fast. They say this one (like all of the Serge Lutens line) is unisex, but I would politely disagree with that assessment. This is one fragrance that I actually do find to be quite "manly" and "butch", no offense intended to any of the ladies who might like wearing this one. It's just my own thought! I think I might love this fragrance on a man, but I don't think I would buy a bottle of this for myself! Plus, I find I don't receive compliments when I wear this style of fragrance. I used to wear "Ormonde Woman" by Ormonde Jayne a few years back, and someone once commented that the scent just seemed "spooky" and "witchy" on me! :D "Ambre Sultan", by the way, distinctly reminds me of "Ormonde Woman" in a few ways. Or, in any case, it is definitely a fragrance that brings to mind an image of a deep, dark forest, evergreens, burning wood and bonfires and smoke. It also has a distinctly earthy, green smell as well as slightly bitter and somewhat medicinal smelling notes. So, yeah, I can see how some people might find this kind of fragrance "spooky!" Like I said, it's a scent that, to me, seems to have a bit of a darker vibe. I probably wouldn't buy or wear this one, but I feel that I have to give it five stars and a big thumbs up, because these types of scents always fascinate and intrigue me! I'm always amazed by how well a perfume can imitate a complex smell like burning wood, incense, bonfires or smoke! And this is definitely a fabulously smoky fragrance! Definitely buy a sample and try this one! It's worth it!

Edit: After wearing this perfume for a few hours,it actually dries down to a very lovely spicy-sweet skin scent! I can definitely smell the vanilla now. In the dry down it actually reminds me of a Christmas candle scent! It seems more unisex than masculine, and I'm actually enjoying this one a lot the longer I wear it! :)
17th November, 2015

Add your review of Ambre Sultan

Shop for Ambre Sultan products online

Shop for Ambre Sultan at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Ambre Sultan

Member images of Ambre Sultan

There are no member images of Ambre Sultan yet. Why not be the first?