Antaeus (1981)

HouseChanel
PerfumerJacques Polge
Parent CompanyWertheimer

About Antaeus

Antaeus was a handsome hero, son of Greek Goddess of the Earth, Gaeia and God of the Sea, Poseidon.
A warm, woody fragrance with notes of Sage, Patchouli and Labdanum.

Antaeus fragrance notes

Reviews of Antaeus

Just bought a 100 ml bottle yesterday, but what a disappointment this was for me! 10 years back, this was sillage and longevity monster cologne... Now 2 hours on my skin and the scent is barely noticeable. Rest in peace great Antaeus. 100$ for a 100 ml EDT and it faded more quickly than an EDC... Thumbs down!
18th September, 2016
Stardate 20160913:

Vintage:
It is simply the best masculine from Chanel. Way ahead of Egoiste and Pour Monsieur .

Current Version:
Not bad at all but not like vintage. Still a thumbs up and much much better than most modern stuff.

13th September, 2016
Antaeus used to be a king, absolutely. Thick and blatant, fantastic. Nowadays, even the most recent formula, smells hollow, iris and violet centered. It's a shame, because the original idea of the creator, was to smell heavy and thick. The new one is just Ok, the original was simply one of the best male EVER created. I'm glad to have a splash one. Of course, got a new 2010 one, but it's a pale version of the former self. Good night.
25th July, 2016
Antaeus. Yes a beautiful masculine. I first came across it
in the Gay clubs in Vancouver early Eighties. This community is always avante-garde in regards to Fashion, Theatre, Art, Fad. For a short period of time "Antaeus" was "The" thing. It was the Signature of one of my gay friends who early on had been ID'd as possibly carrying the scourge that is AIDS. He died far to early in the battle.
I've come to realize that I have avoided Antaeus all of these years. I tasted a sample of recent production and I can say that it still holds whispers of beauty Original and not unlike the Vibrant beauty of "Young Jacques" the essence is gone, for me.
Thumbs up for the Vintage.
Today's not so much.
11th June, 2016
Future Jason:

Two dead giveaways that would confirm "yes, in fact, you have accidentally travelled through time:" looking at advertisements, and smelling your neighbor. Maybe a combination of the two. Need absolute confirmation that you have arrived in the days of Billy Ocean? Look for the two-page spread that pairs this with some other hallmark: new coke, K cars, vidal sassoon.

Better yet--this is 80s movie villain scent. Leathery lemoney whatever. What Johnny Lawrence slathered on before the school dance. I'm on team Daniel.

The fragrance equivalent of driving more truck than you could ever put to real use. I'm confident enough, thank you.
02nd April, 2016
goes on a lighter than it used to back in the day. There is a density that is lacking in the more current reformulations, but thats fine with me, because the earlier versions of it, were extremely heavy...sometimes to the point of making me cough and gag. Antaeus had a "Kouros-like reputation", back in the day, that was very "take it or leave it". There really wasnt any middle ground with this stuff.

the reformulation I have now, seems to be centered more around iris/violet, patch', leather and vetiver. The note pyramid above is not very accurate...there are MANY more notes in Antaeus than the pyramid reveals.

I like the current reformulations much better, because the lack of "thickness" and blatant heaviness, makes this fragrance much easier to wear, in my opinion...years ago, I would never imagine Antaeus to be an office scent...but thats how I think of it now. Its much more versatile, in other words. Beautiful stuff..
20th November, 2015

Add your review of Antaeus

Shop for Antaeus products online

Shop for Antaeus at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Antaeus