Antaeus (1981)

HouseChanel
PerfumerJacques Polge
Parent CompanyWertheimer

About Antaeus

Antaeus was a handsome hero, son of Greek Goddess of the Earth, Gaeia and God of the Sea, Poseidon.
A warm, woody fragrance with notes of Sage, Patchouli and Labdanum.

Antaeus fragrance notes

Reviews of Antaeus

Antaeus. Yes a beautiful masculine. I first came across it
in the Gay clubs in Vancouver early Eighties. This community is always avante-garde in regards to Fashion, Theatre, Art, Fad. For a short period of time "Antaeus" was "The" thing. It was the Signature of one of my gay friends who early on had been ID'd as possibly carrying the scourge that is AIDS. He died far to early in the battle.
I've come to realize that I have avoided Antaeus all of these years. I tasted a sample of recent production and I can say that it still holds whispers of beauty Original and not unlike the Vibrant beauty of "Young Jacques" the essence is gone, for me.
Thumbs up for the Vintage.
Today's not so much.
11th June, 2016
Future Jason:

Two dead giveaways that would confirm "yes, in fact, you have accidentally travelled through time:" looking at advertisements, and smelling your neighbor. Maybe a combination of the two. Need absolute confirmation that you have arrived in the days of Billy Ocean? Look for the two-page spread that pairs this with some other hallmark: new coke, K cars, vidal sassoon.

Better yet--this is 80s movie villain scent. Leathery lemoney whatever. What Johnny Lawrence slathered on before the school dance. I'm on team Daniel.

The fragrance equivalent of driving more truck than you could ever put to real use. I'm confident enough, thank you.
02nd April, 2016
goes on a lighter than it used to back in the day. There is a density that is lacking in the more current reformulations, but thats fine with me, because the earlier versions of it, were extremely heavy...sometimes to the point of making me cough and gag. Antaeus had a "Kouros-like reputation", back in the day, that was very "take it or leave it". There really wasnt any middle ground with this stuff.

the reformulation I have now, seems to be centered more around iris/violet, patch', leather and vetiver. The note pyramid above is not very accurate...there are MANY more notes in Antaeus than the pyramid reveals.

I like the current reformulations much better, because the lack of "thickness" and blatant heaviness, makes this fragrance much easier to wear, in my opinion...years ago, I would never imagine Antaeus to be an office scent...but thats how I think of it now. Its much more versatile, in other words. Beautiful stuff..
20th November, 2015
Antaeus is an absolutely wonderful scent that is a bit different than what one might expect from Chanel. It's 80's strong, and has that leathery, lemony, masculine, testosterone amplification that is rare in this house and in today's fragrance market. As it begins to dry, the opening leather softens and I get a nice balanced patchouli and wood scent with leathery lemon notes. Lemon pledge wood polish is apt, but it's much more refined and classy.

Not sure if Antaeus is a "buy" for me, as it's very strong and has limited places I could wear it IMO, but a great fragrance none the less.
14th August, 2015
One of the best creations ever. A must have !
04th August, 2015
Earlier this year I wrote a review of Antaeus based on a sample, which I've deleted, as I think I failed to understand this scent and didn't give it enough time. Since then I bought a bottle, and, whilst it still surprises me now and again, I feel in a better position to say what I think about it.
It opens very soapy (from the oakmoss), like talcum powder, with some lemon. I still get this picture of a big guy, freshly showered in the gym after a workout or playing rugby. To me it's both old-fashioned and unique at the same time. After about an hour, with no loss of the oakmoss, a mixture of other notes come through as undertones, making the effect warmer and more complex. In particular I notice the rose after a while.
So it's a powerful fragrance (not in the sense of sillage, I mean in the sense that it evokes strength), and both virile and clean at the same time (hence the reference to "straight out of the shower").
I like it more each time I wear it, and each time it seems to reveal some new, warm undertone.
My only criticism is that it loses sillage quite quickly, after about an hour. Longevity: moderate, about half a day.
I wouldn't be without it now.
February 2016
24th July, 2015 (last edited: 08th February, 2016)

Add your review of Antaeus

Shop for Antaeus products online

Shop for Antaeus at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Antaeus