Antaeus (1981)

PerfumerJacques Polge
PackagingJacques Helleu
Parent CompanyWertheimer

About Antaeus

Antaeus was a handsome hero, son of Greek Goddess of the Earth, Gaeia and God of the Sea, Poseidon.
A warm, woody fragrance with notes of Sage, Patchouli and Labdanum.

Antaeus fragrance notes

Reviews of Antaeus

Classic, sophisticated, mature, classy, manly. Just wonderful. This is what a Man should smell like!!!!
25th August, 2017
Zowiee Show all reviews
Love this fragrance. Thankfully it's not the beast of the 80's! Still a beautifully balanced warm and woodsy scent. I actually prefer the modern version.
21st April, 2017
I've never smelled the vintage one, this was among those that I ignored during its time. I just got the current formulation from Nordstroms. And I love it! Only for formal suit and tie? I wore it to the office although I did only one spray on my chest. Stayed with me the whole day and into bedtime! No regrets!
24th March, 2017 (last edited: 27th March, 2017)
Slightly soapy and leathery upon initial spray. Has a rough and smooth side, which goes to show why Antaeus has been liked for years. A masculine fragrance indeed that has a light woody drydown. 7/10
06th March, 2017
I bought this on a blind buy recently because it couldn't be found anywhere near me. I'd been looking for a very masculine scent that reminded me of what men wore in the 70's and 80's... and I found it with Antaeus.

I never had the chance of trying the original, but this current version is great IMO. I get 8+ hours out of it which is saying something for me - I usually complain of not getting more than just a couple of hours out of a fragrance because my skin just seems to consume it.

FYI - BN doesn't have rose listed as a note, but I definitely detect it in this formulation (just checked Fragrantica and they have it listed there so I'm correct). It's not overpowering, but is definitely there if you're senstive to rose being in your fragrances.
28th February, 2017
I have been wearing Antaeus for nearly 36 years and it still remains in my Top Ten Favorites.
This is one of the original 80's powerhouses that (for me) defined a generation; along with Patou Pour Homme, Kouros, JHL, Versailles, Polo, etc.....

After all these years Antaeus remains boozy, leathery and it downright reeks of old money and sex! It's certainly a fragrance that wears you and makes absolutely NO apologies about it.

I reserve wearing Antaeus now for special occasions, and most recently wore it to a very formal wedding. I had forgotten how powerful the projection of this is, and was accosted by various partygoers (of both sexes) all evening; telling me how incredible I smell.

While the IFRA guidelines have affected many fragrance houses and reduced many scents to a pale shell of what once was, the current formulation of Antaeus is still quite good. A bit lighter and a tad more floral then before, but still utterly beautiful and downright sexy. It still reminds me of old money.....
16th February, 2017

Add your review of Antaeus

Shop for Antaeus products online

Shop for Antaeus at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Antaeus