Antaeus (1981)

PerfumerJacques Polge
PackagingJacques Helleu
Parent CompanyWertheimer

About Antaeus

Antaeus was a handsome hero, son of Greek Goddess of the Earth, Gaeia and God of the Sea, Poseidon.
A warm, woody fragrance with notes of Sage, Patchouli and Labdanum.

Antaeus fragrance notes

Reviews of Antaeus

I've often gone through many bottles of scent before settled on something for sure. Often this means much sampling, wearing in different settings, weather and so on. It takes a while for me to like a scent but alas we often get the kick when we least expect it and from the least obvious person or association.

Antaeus to me was dismissed many years ago as a "grandpa" scent as a cousin of mine once said. But that's when Chanel produced duds and before I became a fragrance freak.

It was the concept brought about by "Ambra" of Acqua di Parma's signle note collection that made me wonder "rose and leather - really?". I hated the AdP for its content of norlimbanol but the idea stuck in my head that this had been thought of before. Reading a blog later that month dawned on me that this was indeed a case of deja vu - Antaeus!

The slightly rosey, beeswaxy, leathery and soapy-clean scent that I dismissed before, trying and re-trying to understand or like is what caught my eye (nose?) not long before.

As luck would have it, I stumbled on a vintage bottle of the regular EdT (not the Sport version). It's not that far off the current stuff (2017 - well done Chanel!) and the strength of this means you need to go easy on the trigger. It's perfect for casual or formal. You get whiffs of it throughout the day and my young kids think it makes me smell like I've just got out of the shower. What a scent! Way ahead of its time and that soapy clean/rose/beeswax combination make this quite unique. Perfectly balanced and do be enjoyed responsibly (i.e. in reasonable doses).
18th October, 2017
Gloss black don't look back
Coco macho ain't got time
For style that don't last.
02nd October, 2017
Classic, sophisticated, mature, classy, manly. Just wonderful. This is what a Man should smell like!!!!
25th August, 2017
Zowiee Show all reviews
Love this fragrance. Thankfully it's not the beast of the 80's! Still a beautifully balanced warm and woodsy scent. I actually prefer the modern version.
21st April, 2017
I've never smelled the vintage one, this was among those that I ignored during its time. I just got the current formulation from Nordstroms. And I love it! Only for formal suit and tie? I wore it to the office although I did only one spray on my chest. Stayed with me the whole day and into bedtime! No regrets!
24th March, 2017 (last edited: 27th March, 2017)
Slightly soapy and leathery upon initial spray. Has a rough and smooth side, which goes to show why Antaeus has been liked for years. A masculine fragrance indeed that has a light woody drydown. 7/10
06th March, 2017

Add your review of Antaeus

Shop for Antaeus products online

Shop for Antaeus at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Antaeus