Aquaman (2001)

HouseRochas
PerfumerJacques Cavallier
SupplierFirmenich

About Aquaman

A fresh, clean, uplifting fragrance in a marine-blue bottle. Ideal for the Summer.

Aquaman fragrance notes

Reviews of Aquaman

I would have never thought I would have liked this, but as they say, one must never judge the book by its cover. And that applies in particular with perfumes. So don’t get fooled by the lame superhero name, the kind of cheap (yet wonderfully handy and ergonomic) bottle, the shiny blue colour, and overall that juvenile MTV Summer Chart kind of esthetics. The fragrance is way more complex, darker and fascinating than it may seem. And above all, phew! - it smells really nice. To my nose Aquaman is an extremely pleasant Mediterranean blend of aromatic notes of grass, balsamic-green “dark” herbs (like sage and olive tree leaves, that kind of “dark”, dry, aromatic greenness), something slightly floral-anisic on the barbershop side (lavender or similar, or maybe sage again) pepper, nutmeg and a spicy-woody base. Shortly an aromatic fougère brilliantly translated into summer-aquatic terms but using balsamic-herbal “words” instead of calone or fruits, slightly close to Fendi Thereoma Uomo's kind of league but more catchy than that. All smells unexpectedly true-to-life (I won’t say “natural”, but I don’t get anything particularly synthetic-metallic), and also surprisingly “watery” indeed, albeit in a more unusual way: a sort of humid, sultry muskiness which does indeed convey a feel of luke warm azure water. Nothing salty and nothing “ozonic”, rather a liquid, somehow even dark smell of condensation water stuffed with bracing balsamic-peppery-herbal nuances. Nothing heavy though.

What I enjoy the most here and what actually led me to consider this fragrance with more attention is that Aquaman has just a really good sillage, something inexplicably pleasant to feel around you, slightly different from what you smell close to skin. It’s like a whiff of extremely realistic “medicinal balsamicness” you feel around yourself. Truly nice. For some reasons this smells way more herbal and Mediterranean than many other fragrances clearly associated to that inspiration – and at the same time, it has very little to do with the “synthetic aquatic family” it can be easily compared to judging by the bottle and the esthetic. I like these little gems hiding these nice unexpected surprises. I think Aquaman can still be found for cheap, so if you’re looking for a less generic option for something fresh and balsamic, give this a chance. You’ll smell nice and (fairly) different.

7-7,5/10
14th May, 2015
The grapefruit-eucalyptus opening is gently fresh, and mixed with coriander very soon. The drydown tries to be floral but remains rather bland, yet the base with its cedar tones intermingled with a pleasant cardamom is a bit more convincing. This scent does not deny its synthetic character but it is quite well made overall. Decent silage and projection and, surprisingly for such an aquatic composition, over nine hours of longevity.
16th May, 2014
This is a spicy aquatic, and generally speaking I am ambivalent to this type of fragrance. I get plenty of cardamom here along with aquatic notes. If this is your type of thing, give it a try. It isn’t for me though.
17th January, 2010
I owned this for awhile and thought it was pretty nice and very versatile. I wouldn't call it "aquatic." It's very very dry and spicy, if not especially attractive. The topnotes are bracing and refreshing - especially the sparking grapefruit/eucalyptus top, which I really enjoy. Longevity is minimal.
11th November, 2009
I remember that I liked this one quite a bit when it came out, but after sometime I got tired of it and eventually throw my bottle away.

Nostrils burningly sharp blend of grapefruits, eucalyptus, cardamom and spiky woods that hasn’t been polished. Kind of entertaining juice, and even quite unique, but very annoying and tiring in a long run. Worth to try, though.

Bottle looks very good but I had a serious leaking problem with mine; that is why I couldn’t sell it onwards but I had to put into a garbage can.
03rd February, 2009
Oh look, another dull faceless aquatic men fragrance. Not awful but not in the slightest bit interesting.
20th October, 2008

Add your review of Aquaman

Shop for Aquaman products online

Search Amazon for Aquaman

Member images of Aquaman

There are no member images of Aquaman yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Aquaman