Arabie (2000)

HouseSerge Lutens
PerfumerChristopher Sheldrake
Parent CompanyShiseido

About Arabie

Arabie is a shared / unisex perfume by Serge Lutens. The scent was launched in 2000 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Christopher Sheldrake

Reviews of Arabie

cggn Show all reviews
On my skin this literally smells exactly like a slightly less sweet horchata, which is absolutely delightful to me. I love horchata but find that it's too sweet for excessive consumption, which is why I'm so thrilled that this gives the same ambiance except without the excessive sweetness. Much more wearable for a full day in my opinion.
06th March, 2016
a masterpiece....thats all I have to say about this scent.
20th November, 2015
Fruits, spice... and everything nice.

This is a fragrance with a personality! I really love how the fragrances of <i>Serge Lutens</i> manage to challenge me constantly. To me that is a sign of a very good fragrance you don't want a fragrance which is too predictable or similar to the same trends time and time again. Instead, here I find a fragrance which challenges my nose and which gets me interested.

What I love about <i>Arabie</i> is that Lutens and Sheldrake have thrown away the rule book here. Instead of having a top, middle and base, you get the whole weight of the fragrance in one spray. As soon as you spray you get the spices, the stewed fruit, the amber and resins and myrrh. It's an explosion of colour and spice all at once.

To me it smells very festive, like Christmas in fact. This is like rich heavy desserts of spiced fruits and rum and deep, rich flavours.

Some people say this smells like cooking. If that is true, then to me this represents more of desserts and dried fruits, or the process of making them. Cloves, cinnamon, plumbs, apricots & raisins. All these I get out of this fragrance. Very Moroccan! All these ingredients are found in Moroccan and Arab North African cuisine.

The ironic thing is that this fragrance is named <i>Arabie</i>, which means "Arabia". Now to me, anything "Arabian" (when applied to fragrances) means Oud, or Agarwood. Here, Sheldrake has interpreted all of these "oriental" notes through fruits and spices (and not with Oud). So I find it original and creative, and I really admire this fragrance.

Personally, I think to wear this one you have to be confidant in yourself, because people will notice that you smell "different". Basically you will smell like a walking, spicy fruitcake. But in a subtle way, because I want to stress that there is nothing too loud about this fragrance. People will smell you but it's not a beast.

Overall, I would advise people to wear this in cooler weather, and especially around Christmas. If anything, to me <i>Arabie</i> is the perfect Christmas fragrance. You <b><i>could</i></b> wear it all year round, but you need the confidence and personality for it, as you will be noticed, and in a good way too. Very original and creative effort by Lutens and Sheldrake with this one. Good stuff!
01st August, 2015
If I was to make my usual Christmas fruitcake, and then pour Rochas Femme into it alongside the brandy, it would be just like this. I love it, but probably will never wear it out of the house. Certainly not to work. Just to bed in winter.
10th July, 2015
Here it is folks - All of the thick overbearing syrupy cloying sweetness that Lutens haters love to hate. If you've ever wondered what they are talking about, look no further, because this is the place to find it.

I quite like it myself, and am glad that I have it, but you better know what you are in for when you reach for the trigger.
04th July, 2015
Arabie certainly has clove in it, but the clove doesn’t overpower the rest of the notes, although very noticeable. In a small way, it reminds me of L’Artisan’s Piment Brulant, but only because they both share a clove note. Arabie is definitely gourmand, while PB is more like a vegetable garden, raw and uncooked. Also, Arabie is definitely sweeter than PB because PB isn’t sweet at all. I suspect most people will either love it or hate it. It seems to drown itself, during drydown, in a watery base, as I suspect is typical with most Serge Lutens scents. Overall, during drydown, any pleasant smell is gone. I can certainly live without Arabie.
31st December, 2014

Add your review of Arabie

Shop for Arabie products online

Shop for Arabie at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Arabie

Member images of Arabie

There are no member images of Arabie yet. Why not be the first?