Aspen for Men (1989)
    by Coty (orig. by Quintessence)

Average Rating: 3

118ml Cologne
    118ml Cologne
    60ml Cologne

Reviews of Aspen for Men

Showing 1 to 6 of 63 reviews.

wormstir's avatar

I'd been putting off a blind buy of Aspen for ages, but finally caved in and am very glad I did - this really does smell very similar to Green Irish Tweed - the difference being that in GIT the notes are much more natural, separate and pronounced. Obviously GIT is by far the better of the two fragrances but I can guarantee you that the vast majority of people smelling Aspen on you would never notice the difference.

I also find Aspen to be closer to Cool Water than GIT, but much superior to Cool Water, having a smoother and softer feel, without the shouty loud topnotes that CW has, and a pleasant woodsy drydown.

Personally I don't really get much in the way of pine from this but lots of others seem to. Longevity of around 2-3 hours, which I suppose is to be expected from a scent this cheap. Apart from that, big thumbs up, especially for an autumn daytime scent.

17 September, 2014 (Last Edited: 18 September, 2014)

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Fougère

Having just subjected myself to a string of cynical abominations by designer houses of much greater pretense than Coty, Aspen comes as exactly the breath of fresh air its name implies. It may smell like a deodorant stick, but then so do a majority of new masculine designer releases at four or five times the price. At least with Aspen you get what you pay for, and not less.

The basic motif is a crisp, fruity fougère in the accustomed post-Cool Water/Green Irish Tweed manner, mercifully light on the overused aquatic Calone molecule. Aspen’s other distinguishing features are a refreshing pine sap and wintergreen accord in the top notes and a woody drydown that’s more subdued, less aggressively cloying, than the worst of its ilk. Not bad for under $20, and vastly preferable to the gruesome body sprays it competes with on the drugstore shelves.

08 June, 2014 (Last Edited: 24 July, 2014)

Beach Girl's avatar

It seems a bit amusing to me that my very first review on Basenotes is for a men's fragrance, but here goes.

I'd been searching for a woodsy, fresh fragrance for a while but unfortunately none of the women's scents could give me what I was looking for. Finally one day, after seeing the name 'Aspen' on this lovely green bottle I sneaked a spray and immediately fell in love. This scent mirrored my thoughts of what a hike up a wooded mountain trail smells like, and I've been on quite a few. The most noticeable notes on my skin are the bergamot and the balsam fir along with a touch of lavender. I love this stuff, it's awesome!

19 May, 2014

Olfsense's avatar

I never wore this stuff back in the day so I have no sense of nostalgia attached to this sent. Decided to blind buy a bottle after reading some reviews here.

Not being an avid fragrance wearer, I don't have the refined nose to pick out top, middle, or bottom notes but what I can say is that this is some nasty smelling stuff. To my nose, it has a "green" scent which could be promising but is covered up by a reeking alcohol scent that never really goes away as it dries. 10 minutes is about all I could stand before washing it off.

I read comparisons to Cool Water and Green Irish Tweed - two fragrances with which is also have no experience. I sincerely hope the comparison to GIT is WAY off as it was one I wanted to check out.

30th March, 2014

Dr.Hohum's avatar

Found the 2.7 oz cologne on clearance for $5 at a local department chain (regularly $20). I recall Cool Water when it was first out and yes, this is similar, but warmer as many reviewers note. No, not particularly pine-y, if at all, but a decent scent. No idea how long it'll last on me but it's worth $5 in any case.

23 March, 2014

Archer51's avatar

This was my first cologne I got when I was a a younger teen. I remember going to the drugstore with my dad and we picked this one out. It is a nice scent I wear during the fall/winter but can be worn year-round. I have always enjoyed it and have those memories tied to it haha. Plus it's very affordable!

15 March, 2014

• Time Left: 29 days
    Aspen For Men After Shave 1.0 Oz. By Coty. Unboxed
    • Time Left: 14 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    COTY* 4pc Cologne Set/Lot GRAVITY+PREFERRED STOCK+JOVAN MUSK+ASPEN .5oz each 2/3
    Aspen By Coty 1.0oz./29.5ml Aftershave Splash For Men New In Old Box