Azzaro pour Homme (1978)

Average Rating: 4

Based on 821 ratings

Azzaro pour Homme Fragrance Notes

Azzaro pour Homme information

Launched in 1978, this masculine scent is one of Europe's biggest sellers. A true classic.

Shop for Azzaro pour Homme products online

125ml EdT

Reviews of Azzaro pour Homme

Showing 1 to 6 of 215 reviews.

D.Jackson's avatar

I'm giving this a neutral rating because I just can't decide if I love it or hate it. It is definitely a powerhouse. When you put this on it stands up and punches you right in the face. I'm no good at describing scents or picking out the different notes so I won't bother. The opening is the part I don't like. There is a really dirty note in there that I don't like. But don't run right to sink and wash it off because it changes drastically throughout its life cycle. After 2-3 hours the dirty note is still there but it's subdued a lot. And this soft powdery note starts to emerge and becomes quite prevalent. After an 8 or 10 hour work day the scent is still there so longevity is certainly not a problem.

11th April, 2015

clamnole's avatar

An unbelievably good fragrance that I was completely unfamiliar with from the late 70's. Reminds me very much of Rive Gauche, but to my nose the lavender is blended with more spice and woods, so it's a little less "barbershop" and more "gentleman's salon" like. It's a heavy fragrance that I want to wear with a suit and tie to my next important business meeting. Gives me a sense of masculine power that is so missed by modern designer houses today. Something every fragrance collector should experience and own.

26th March, 2015

freewheelingvagabond's avatar

India India

I had some performance issues with Azzaro pour Homme. It would not project after a while, and would seem to be almost gone in about 4-5 hours. I finished up my bottle about a year back, but now I feel I want to give it a second try.

The opening of Azzaro pour Homme is one of the greatest olfactory sensations that must be experienced by any fragrance lover at least once. It is a superb spicy concoction where I can pick out the lavender and the anise. This is the phase of Azzaro that I love the most; unfortunately it doesn't last longer than about 30 minutes in my skin. In what follows, the fragrance dies down to a soft and mildly spicy heart. There is a barbershop vibe and just a hint of soapiness. This heart phase transcends to a satisfying soft base while the soapy barbershop feel is retained.

Overall it is a very, very good fragrance. I will not call it great personally because of two reasons: one, it doesn't perform very well on my skin; two, I feel that Rive Gauche pour Homme, with which it shares many elements of class and character, is a better fragrance. Having said that, Azzaro pour Homme has my appreciation and respect for being what it is and its history and heritage.

Since it seems to perform well on others on the average, I would say definitely seek this one out.

22nd February, 2015

Colin Maillard's avatar

Timeless. Not sure if it’s just an impression, but for some reasons I rarely see this mentioned among the “best masculines ever”, or at least among the best classic fougères – the more elegant and higher quality ones. Perhaps because of the subsequent decrease of Azzaro’s quality (Chrome flankers and the likes), or its excessively “functional” bottle with that brownish glass straight out of the ‘70s. Or because it’s so good, versatile and inexpensive everyone loves it – too “pop”, shortly, to reach the podium next to Guerlain’s or Chanel’s classics. Well, to me it deserves that entirely. Although I review this only now, to me it’s easily one of the most beautiful and perfect masculine perfumes ever made. A proper pillar which is not only a milestone, but is still today completely modern, elegant, good, versatile, simple but unforgettable, together exceedingly pleasant to wear – to this extent, actually quite more than other more appreciated classic fragrances (masterpieces, but perhaps more formal, or more outdated). What amazes me the most and what makes Azzaro pour Homme so unique and sets the difference with most of other fougères is the irresistible, manly, silky cleanliness of the herbal-floral accord of citrus, sage, lavender and anise: it’s cozy, fresh, gently sweet, bright and radiant but also velvety and “virile”, which then perfectly drifts on an endless drydown more on mossy-woody notes. Sage and anise give something here which you won’t find anywhere else. Perfect for any age, any time, any mood, without being generic or shallow – just perfect. Not much to say: one of the true masterpieces of masculine perfumery of any time. I am more familiar with the vintage version, which to me smells slightly richer and darker, but the current version is a must as well. Close relatives: Balmain Ebène (fresher, more formal), Aramis Tuscany (woodier, darker, and a bit more "meh").

02nd February, 2015 (Last Edited: 03rd February, 2015)

sjg3839's avatar

Starts out slightly harsh, but that only last for a few minutes. Mellows down to a true barbershop vibe fragrance. I definitely get a retro feel with APH. As previously mentioned, it smells very close to Rive Gauche on the drydown (which is a good thing). 7/10

29th January, 2015

JackTwist's avatar

One of the very best fougeres ever created.

With nods to Kouros and Yatagan, Azzaro Pour Homme balances all of its ingredients perfectly, but with, for me, an emphasis on the dirty animalic musk note beneath it all.

Turin rightly gives it five stars, calls it "anisic lavender," and dubs it the best fougere ever made. I heartily agree.

At first blast, and it is a blast, the vetiver, patchouli and musk assault one with the essence of masculinity. Later the lavender and petitgrain tame and rein it in, but it never loses its wildness, only the unrestrained expression of it.

One of the truly great men's scents and thankfully, still available in its original formulation.

07th November, 2014