Azzaro pour Homme (1978)

PackagingPierre Dinand
Parent CompanyGroupe Clarins
Parent Company at launchMäurer & Wirtz

About Azzaro pour Homme

Launched in 1978, this masculine scent is one of Europe's biggest sellers. A true classic.

Azzaro pour Homme fragrance notes

Reviews of Azzaro pour Homme

Extremely unpleasant, importunate, hard-tone scent. Never more.
15th June, 2017
First time I smelled this on a blotter, I felt a tingling down my spine. I barely knew what an aromatic fougère was back then and all I cared about was that its herbal, vintage smell was truly captivating. Some months later a friend gave me his almost full 100ml bottle as a gift and I was more than excited. Sadly, the results on my skin were pretty disappointing.

Smell wise I mostly get anise, patchouli, basil and ambergris. It stars herbal, fresh and the opening makes quite an impression. As it gets to the heart the patchouli gets more and more prominent, until it takes the back seat and it lets a sweet amber lead the way. This is an all season friendly scent, but I find it to be a tad more enjoyable during the summer, unfolding its qualities best on cool summer evenings. Oddly enough for an all season friendly scent, I can’t quite fit this in my everyday rotation or find the right occasion to wear it. Too weak to be a signature scent, too mature for my looks (as other people have stated), so I prefer to wear this one at home, mostly.

I will probably never find out how vintage Azzaro pour Homme smells like, but I can really sense that this is a watered down version of a legend. The initial blast is strong and while this fragrance gives you the impression of a longevity/sillage monster, that’s far from the truth. After half an hour this stays extremely close to the skin and on some days it’s barely noticeable after the two hour mark. Quite sad, because this scent always gave me the impression that it wants to make a statement. I’m not one of those people that want to fill a room with their scents, but I expected a stronger presence out of this one.
30th May, 2017
I lived through the 70's, 80's, 90's and 00's without even owning a bottle of Azzaro Pour Homme.
Tested numerous times and always came to the same conclusion of mediocrity. It's a generic non-offensive scent that actually smells nicer on others. *I once had a very young client back in the 80's that was on deaths door, and he smelled divine wearing A.P.H. It's a memory that will forever be imbedded in my mind; to look that bad but to smell that great!.....

From all the positive reviews here on Basenotes, and the fragrance notes listed above; I decided to purchase a bottle and thoroughly wear test. It's nice but linear. I can't say that it's great, nor can I say this is a milestone in men's perfumery. I can say that Azzaro is an affordable fragrance that's wildly available to the masses, and those that enjoy it are passionate about it. I just need more 'oomph' personally for my tastes.....
07th February, 2017
As a scent from the late 70's I was eager to try Azzaro Pour Homme...I didn't like it at all from the department store's tester.Mostly just a white cloudy(vanilla?) like base to it with a dash of musk.This struck me as a Vanilla Musk women's body spray.A little bit of anise and a really sweet mint note that smelled like a handful of crushed up wintergreen mints.Most likely that was the basil.Azzaro PH smells fresh but it smells of really lo-fi ingredients and lacks imagination.How anyone can sit this beside the classics and praise it highly and call it a milestone?..not in my book.And I sure as heck never smelled this in the air in my youth.
14th January, 2017
Clean and classic is how I'd describe ApH.

Balanced and masculine fragrance with fresh citrus and woody notes lingering pleasantly. And the amber-musk foundation in the base keeps it stable.

Great standard scent for me. And the newest Intense version is even greater, capitalizing on what makes ApH a delight to wear and turning up the volume several notches!! ;>
28th December, 2016
One of the most reviewed scents out there, and for good reason, its an inexpensive sophisticated classic for sure. Most have tried it. If you have not, I would highly recommend you consider it.

Is APH a powerhouse, a barbershop or a gourmand? Kinda sorta yes to all; but, on the other hand it defies such basic description. Its from the era of powerhouses and packs a pretty big punch (potent and long lasting); but, it doesn't have the brashness, the big synthetic vibe nor the need to walk off the initial blast. It's lavender plus notes will rightly summon barbershop associations, yet it is more than that as well. The gourmand link is also made very strongly. I always think of an anise and fennel heavy Italian seasoning blend plus lemon juice combination that would befit a hearty red sauced pasta feast. The lemon in this seams to hold up quite a bit better/longer than in most other frags, don't know why.

I always enjoy this one, so it will stay in my must have collection. Its not for the meek wall paper huggers, maybe not for the aqua only lovers either, yet it will always have a strong following for very good reason.
06th December, 2016