Azzaro pour Homme (1978)

PackagingPierre Dinand
Parent CompanyGroupe Clarins
Parent Company at launchMäurer & Wirtz

About Azzaro pour Homme

Launched in 1978, this masculine scent is one of Europe's biggest sellers. A true classic.

Azzaro pour Homme fragrance notes

Reviews of Azzaro pour Homme

Boldly going where many men have been before, I venture to review this 80's classic scent in its current reformulation.

The initial blast is a combination of citrus and anise, a heavy synthetic blend mixing with a top note of lavender. It has an overwhelming dosage of artificiality that I don't particular enjoy, but it dries down to something much better: an oakmoss, earthy green scent with hints of basil and berries. Very pleasant after the initial 20 minutes.

The longevity is fine: I only put on 4-5 sprays and probably could have added a few more more, it projects for several hours and dries down shortly after. What you would expect for an EdT. The sillage is good-just past an arm's length. Nothing about either of those two categories screams monstrous to me, the most beastial aspect being how overly synthesized and artificial the scent is.

It has more depth to it than modern fragrances that you'll pay 2-3 times as much for: there are a variety of notes that play together well that add together for a somewhat complex scent. Much better than some of the current "club" scents of a younger audience. It smells more vintage than dated to my nose, as it doesn't have some of the powdery backdrop of its 1970-80s peers (which is a good thing).

It has its place, and that place is as a somewhat above average fougere that could easily belong in any professional man's scent collection.

28th February, 2018
I just can't get my nose to enjoy this. A sweet, somewhat metallic, musky concoction. It meshes with the 80's vibe very well, some offerings which I've really enjoyed. This, however, just does not sit right on my skin and smelled like cheap drugstore cologne.

Literally, unbecoming stuff that a teenager would wear on a first date. It smelled like a hundred other colognes that all have the same linear, transparent, "cologney" scent. For sure try before you buy.
14th February, 2018
This is for the most recent reformulation: sprayer comes off to refill bottle, "AZZARO pour homme" printed in black at the top, "AZZARO" named embossed on the bottom.
Opening has a nice, classic alcohol-blast, then it immediately becomes this lemony/citrus/almost powdery-like scent, with a soapiness in the background. I think it might be off-putting for a lot of people at this point. Not gross or anything, but just really strong.
After about an hour or so you get a more soapy, damp dry down.
I wanted to like this.
Like I said, opening is that classic men's cologne smell, but for my taste it just is "okay."
The soapy smell is pretty boring compared to designer fragrances that came out a few years later.

If your younger and casual, this comes across as for the sensitive individual. If your a little older, or dressed in formal attire, it's for someone who wants to give the impression of gentlemanly or refined.

Is this like Paco Rabanne PH? Yeah, I get the similarities, but I find that Paco is the superior fragrance. That one is more masculine, more dirty in the middle, more clean in the dry down, and overall more interesting.

I think this one is little overrated, but maybe the reformulation I have isn't nearly as good as the vintage stuff. It's only okay but I wouldn't wear it.

18th January, 2018
Among my favorite aromatic fougeres ever. Barbershop. Anise is well-blended. Versatile. Outstanding value. I know pre-2010. FUNCTIONAL. Wet shaver in his 50s here.
02nd November, 2017
Picked up a vintage flacon of this that's a pre-barcode atomized version with the rounded cap and to be completely honest... meh.

I live for 80's creations as I'm a child of the beginning of the 1980's and Azzaro doesn't move me one bit, in fact kinda turns my stomach, just a hair. Keep in mind for this review that what I'm smelling here is basically an original formula. It's 'tolerable' if I were to experience this on another individual but, I will never wear this, ever. To my nose there's not one iota of anything that I would consider as exciting in this mix. It smells like a slightly musty shaving creme of some sort that radiates strongly with a mild olfactory illusion of old lady lurking around in the background for the entire duration, that's the stomach churning part for me. The overall effect is that of a musty, non-descript soapiness, not really too appealing to my seasoned nose and nothing that I would ever have the desire to smell of. There's hardly any note separation whatsoever, it's just this blended up blob or better yet, the blending in this is to the max which results to being nauseatingly linear in nature. Azzaro creates a smell and that's it, very boring in my opinion. Also, the soapiness in this is strange that pretty much dominates everything from beginning to end. Excellent longevity and decent sillage though.

I really wouldn't use the term 'dated' per se because I've smelled some perfumes for men that take the cake in that department but I will say benign for sure. Sad really, that flacon is awesome but the liquid inside is something that I'll never ever wear, and why would I want to when there are a plethora of mind boggling 80's perfumes for men at my fingertips that make me giddy with joy for hours on end every single time I spray them on... like Kouros. I'll think I'll go bathe and then bask in the awesomeness of Kouros, or maybe even Macassar, that one really blows my mind. That's what I require and desire, complexity and the ultimate nirvana of olfactory pleasure, not sleepy boring soapy shaving creme time like Azzaro Pour Homme, what a lazy lame scent this is.

So sorry Azzaro but you my old friend are average at best, if that. I don't even want to think about how bad that reformulation is, God those reformulations scare me. I had high hopes for this one but in the end, it is what it is.
12th October, 2017
I was always a fan of old-school, barbershoplike gentlemen scents. However I never had the guts to use an actual one (except TF Men) due to extreme "old man", "dad" vibes they give.

Azzaro Pour Homme starts similar, but shortly after it turns into an amazing versatile thing! It's like, if you smell it on a youngster, you'd say hmm eh - if you'd smell it on a well dressed middle aged man, you'd say on spot! Perfect for office use, makes you feel the after-shave freshness all along. I don't like the first couple of minutes because it's too harsh, I think anise and levander makes it too crisp. But really in few minutes it settles into the ideal "man scent".

Longevity is a problem with this one, so I spray an extra one or two and it lasts for an entire office day. One thing to keep in mind that you can give headaches to some people if they are near in the initial blast!
04th July, 2017