Banana Republic Classic (1995)
    by Banana Republic

Shop for Banana Republic Classic products online

50ml EdT
    $31.28*
    50ml EdT
    (*converted from GBP 18.70)

Reviews of Banana Republic Classic

Showing 1 to 6 of 28 reviews.

The_Cologneist's avatar
    The_Cologneist

A nice, casual, citrus/floral.

Classic is an appropriate name for this one. To me, this is a classic scent, or event classy. Sophisticated, refined, elegant; can be dressed up or down, yet very simple, versatile, and appealing to everyone. In fact, I don't know a single person that doesn't like this one. While it doesn't really garner compliments to me, because of its lack in projection.. those who I have asked to smell it on me, have given nothing but positive feedback.

Classic opens up with a lot of bergamot. Bergamot, bergamot, bergamot. Nothing but bergamot really. You wanna know what bergamot oil smells like? Check out this one. Within 10 minutes, the other notes begin to emerge. Still mostly bergamot, some other citrus notes, the smell of cotton, and then a huge blast of honeysuckle, about 30 minutes in. Along with the honeysuckle, a nice dose of musk that ties the base together. It stays like this for a good 8-10 hours on me, but projection is pretty weak. It smells really similar to something that I just can't quite put my finger on; I am tempted to say Versace pour Homme.

If you can find it on sale at discounters, it's a good, safe blind buy. I was able to get a 2-pack of 1.7 oz bottles at TJ Maxx for 20 bucks. Great deal.

Pros: Simple, versatile, longevity.
    Cons: Projection, availability."

08 August, 2013

Darvant's avatar
    Darvant

A soapy classic lemonade. Clean and woody/green in a light way.

19 October, 2012

Randy Marsh's avatar
    Randy Marsh

Very nice. Citrusy, summery, subtle and clean. Does not last long but the bassnotes are heavenly fresh. I find the smell lingers longer on clothing than it does on my skin. Doesn't stand out in terms of longevity or pungence, but doesn't offend either. B+/A-

08 September, 2011

_Enigma_'s avatar
    _Enigma_
    Costa Rica Costa Rica

Probably the most citrus fragrance of my collection. Imagine a mixture of limes, lemons, tangerines and mandarins. Yes, this has got to be the Vitamin C of colognes!
    Very refreshing and "clean" scent but unfortunately the longevity and sillage are very weak as I only get about 2 -3 hours. It´s a good summer scent but nothing out of the ordinary.

11th August, 2011

sherapop's avatar
    sherapop

Banana Republic CLASSIC is indeed a classic, rather masculine-smelling cologne. The composition reminds me quite a bit of the Calvin Klein omnisex jug perfumes: somewhat aquatic, somewhat citrusy, vague and indistinct as far as specific notes are concerned. Among the synthetic floral renditions, this one may contain water lily or lotus or something else light and inobtrusive, compatible with these sorts of modern scents, which also sometimes contain tea notes—and this one may as well. CLASSIC is really quite evasive, when all is said and sniffed, a sort of “one-size-fits-all” fragrance. As this fragrance dries down, a vetiver-like note becomes more and more evident, making this seem, again, a classic made-for-men perfume. Overall this sort of modern (largely synthetic) perfume, comprising primarily “abstract” notes, does not appeal to me very much, but for those looking for this sort of thing, I'm sure that CLASSIC would do quite well. Nothing to get excited about, but also nothing to offend.

02 July, 2011 (Last Edited: 09 July, 2011)

different-scents's avatar
    different-scents

I first owned a mini of this years ago, and I would wear it on random occasions when I wanted to smell fresh without attracting much attention. Even one day when I worked for a perfume distributor, one of the workers commented on the scent one day because she knew it wasn't one of the bottles we carried.

When I smell this in the bottle, it smells very citrus. I get a strong lemon scent. It's a nice scent. There's some type of mossy background behind it. It's real light, and mostly unrecognizable. When I spray it on, the initial blast is pure alcohol scent. It dries down and for a short time the top notes really smell great.

Somewhere in the mid notes I feel it gets too femme for me to truly like this scent. The base almost disappears and leaves a vague trace of some scent that used to be there. In this sense, it is a good daytime work cologne. I think it's mostly for men, but certain women could easily wear this because it's definitely unisex.

I remember when I bought my mini bottle it was in the men's section of Banana Republic, so I really am unsure how it is marketed. Something I am going to try now that I got a new 1.7 oz bottle is to try layering this with something a bit stronger and more masculine. If I find a good combo, I believe it would be a nice blend.

**I will add that I used to do this with Candies for Men, which was way too sweet on it's own, but layered with some woody masculine scents, it would work great**

16 September, 2010 (Last Edited: 28 September, 2010)

Add your review of Banana Republic Classic