Bel Ami (1986)

HouseHermès
PerfumerJean-Louis Sieuzac
PerfumerJean-Claude Ellena

About Bel Ami

Bel Ami was launched in 1986 by Hermès. The fragrance was originally created by Jean-Louis Sieuzac. The scent was updated by Jean-Claude Ellena in recent years.

The company say:

Irresistibly charming and masculine. An audacious mix of cardamom, amber, patchouli and leather

Bel Ami fragrance notes

Reviews of Bel Ami

Some say Cool Water is the fragrance of the 80s. I believe this is the business fragrance of the 80s. Masculine and powerful, this fragrance evokes the sense of "Roaring 80s". I bought this fragrance across the street from the World Trade Center as my memento to New York and Wall Street.

Oak Moss, Vetiver are the main players that I can sense. I find it more wearable and inoffensive than Terre, so I wear this to work most days. Extraordinary fragrance that will always be in my collection.
28th April, 2017
Zowiee Show all reviews
Love this one for its "strength of character". Beautifully masculine from start to finish with longer than average performance. I have a bottle each of the vintage and non- vintage, with the newer version a bit sharper in a good way. Imagine that!
26th March, 2017
A famous rendition of the patchouli and leather riff that I am fond of - perhaps the most famous. Bel Ami distinguishes itself by being dry in tone, and although incorporating minimal spicy and fresh notes, manages to showcase the leather in a non-aggressive manner, while remaining unremittingly masculine. The impression I get from Bel Ami is that it's all about a few good quality accords put together sympathetically and without ostentation: a bit like a simply-cooked meal with the best ingredients; you don't need to do too much with them. I also find it flattering to wear, and it would be terrific paired with any kind of formal attire. I don't find it to have potent performance, but somehow it's not a problem. Another point is that the best of it, for me, comes well into the drydown. Its continued popularity is no mystery.
02nd February, 2017
NASTY GATEKEEPER: Halt! Who would cross into the Realm of Contentment must answer me these questions three, ere the other side he see.
DNDB: I have paid great sums in coin and effort in my journey to this point. I am not afraid. Ask away!
NASTY GATEKEEPER: What is your name?
DNDB: My name is Buzier, humble fragrance enthusiast from the Land of Lincoln.
NASTY GATEKEEPER: What is your journey's quest?
DNDB: Unsure at times, it ended up that I was searching for the Holy Grail of spicy, masculine, leather chypres.
NASTY GATEKEEPER: What did you find that has so satisfied your notion of the ideal?
DNDB: Bel Ami, in it's earlier iterations, of course! Now quit taking up my valuable time and allow me to pass!
NASTY GATEKEEPER: Right. Off you go.
DNDZ: Oh... well thank you. Thank you very much!
20th December, 2016
Bel Ami - "good friend" indeed. ;^> My first Hermes purchase and still an endeared scent in my collection. Bel Ami is classy, warm, and fit for formal wear. Tastefully balanced woods, patchouli and citrus, along with the whiffs of vanilla and lavender. Not loud and overbearing; a dignified treasure for the mature wearer.
08th December, 2016
This review is for the current formulation. This fragrance is not just beautiful, it is elite perfumery in 3D high definition, showing off complex and pronounced detours at each stage of development that play off a stunning, elegant, masculine leather accord. Surely the perfumers who have contributed to this fragrance over its various incarnations are showing off here, like Jimmy Page inserting a 3 minute solo right in the middle of Stairway to Heaven because only the best rock anthem is worthy of showing his talent.

The development of this fragrance occupies a far greater spectrum than that of the more modern Bel Ami Vetiver, itself a highly accomplished fragrance. The opening in Bel Ami is more impressive, the leather in the heart of the fragrance is decidedly more masculine, and there are all sorts of things going on besides that I am not qualified to comment on.

08th April, 2016