Blend 30 (1978)
    by Dunhill

Blend 30 Fragrance Notes

Reviews of Blend 30

Showing 1 to 6 of 17 reviews.
    positive 14 Positive Reviewsneutral3 Neutral Reviewsnegative No Negative Reviews

drseid's avatar
    drseid

Blend 30 opens with a very herbal slightly green rosemary and clary sage duo with floral carnation and slightly sweet citric lemon support. Almost immediately one can detect the large dollop of oakmoss rising all the way from the base quite early, mixing with the green herbs as the scent enters its heart phase. The herbal green mossy accord now couples with a light spice resembling cinnamon as a subtle woody cedar emerges underpinned by mentholated aromatic lavender. During the dry-down the scent turns a bit sweeter as sandalwood and almost tobacco-like labdanum joins the green herbs to finish off the scent's development. Projection is average and longevity is just shy of average at about 6 hours.

Blend 30 has a small but extremely strong following; primarily from folks that enjoy vintage fragrances from the 70s and 80s. You can now add one more ardent supporter of Blend 30 to the list for sure. It has been mentioned elsewhere Blend 30 has a glancing resemblance to the great Patou pour Homme, and while to some that comparison would be utter sacrilege, I believe it is both sound and fair. Blend 30 is definitely greener, rough, sweet and aromatic than the more famous scent it somewhat resembles, but it really is not inferior to my nose. The notes in Blend 30 really are mixed quite well so I am sure I missed a lot of them, but all I can say is Blend 30 is the kind of scent where you just want to stop trying to pinpoint all the individual notes and just enjoy the discontinued symphonic composition. All this is done as you ponder why a great scent like Blend 30 was ever ended by Dunhill... and how are you going to come up with the $200+ a bottle cost it now commands on the after-market to acquire this extremely rare 4.5 out of 5 star gem.

19 January, 2013

rbaker's avatar
    rbaker

This has been with me for a few years before falling into disuse and I revived it a while ago. The opening is a spectacular dark boozy forest impression with lots of lavender, clove, and a bit of spicy citrus. Later a wood note is added, with geranium providing a touch of friendly softening. Further down in the base I get amber, wood, tobacco and leather. The complexity of this creation presents initially full on, but later recurrent whiffs of the various components emanate that nonetheless remain beautifully blended. The impression is that of a dark and moist English forest after rain. Silage and projection are very good, and the longevity is excellent with over seven hours. †Darker and less elegant than Patou PH, but nonetheless a masterpiece.

19 December, 2012 (Last Edited: 24 April, 2013)

pdschrader's avatar
    pdschrader

This was my signature scent from the time of its release until it was discontinued. It is still my favorite of all time. I finally bit the bullet and paid the cost of obtaining a sealed package via Ebay. Decades old, but smells just like I remember; complex and exquisite. I am going to assume that it will continue to smell that way for years to come, and use this purchase for special occasions only, like Christmas, New Year's and my anniversary. It is that good!

16 November, 2012 (Last Edited: 20th November, 2012)

MonkeyBars's avatar
    MonkeyBars

I can understand the praise for this old drugstore classic; the simple fragrances of yesteryear have so much more poise and naturalness than today's chemical weapons byproducts.

However, I also concur with Naed's detection of sulfurous notes. Gets a neutral from me because I recognize its quality, but also its faults -- the birch tar (an ingredient I unilaterally dislike) adds an unwelcome smoky "off" character.

07 March, 2012

bhanny's avatar
    bhanny

Ahh, one of my top five for sure. This starts very boozy and green. And when I say green, the juice is actually green. The booze I suspect is rum and/or cognac. The more I sample this I think there is some cognac. I have some white cognac essential oil I play around with and I think its there, balanced nicely with citrus, sage and lavender. As the drydown begins, I find some really outstanding mossy sandalwood and cedar. Add some subtle amber, musk and tonka as it finishes and wow, what a journey. Top notch, a must try if the opportunity arises.

Edit: The booziness I originally detected has waned, though still there. This is one of the nicest drydowns I have ever experienced. Lots of creamy sandalwood.

27 September, 2011 (Last Edited: 03 December, 2011)

Bartlebooth's avatar
    Bartlebooth
    Germany Germany

Blend 30 offers the wearer a great deal of comfort. It is long since discontinued, but cherished and admired by a number of aficionados with long memories.

The opening is at odds with the overall experience, being vehement, dominant, and even a little cacophonous. Itís quite a harsh lavender note that leads this wild bunch, underscored with sharp herbal ingredients and a distant citric presence.

Any bitterness and belligerence from the early phases is swiftly supplanted by fairly dirty carnation and geranium notes, and the general potency is reined in significantly. Dunhill seem happy to forego harmonious accords here, and simply allow note to play against note.

The drydown is restrained and warm, with the subtle byplay of herbs and distant dirty florals playing out to the finish. The projection is reticent, restrained and better experienced in the air than on the skin. It has a modest lifespan, but does perhaps linger longer than I imagine.Throughout the whole Blend 30 experience, a feint, but important tobacco presence is evident, but not in the least intrusive. It is an important property, and firmly connects it to its Dunhill roots.

I am continually impressed with this fragrance; each wearing reveals something new to me. First rate, and sadly missed.

26 March, 2011