Bois de Violette (1992)

HouseSerge Lutens
PerfumerChristopher Sheldrake
Parent CompanyShiseido

About Bois de Violette

Bois de Violette is a shared / unisex perfume by Serge Lutens. The scent was launched in 1992 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Christopher Sheldrake

Reviews of Bois de Violette

This is a comfort-scent for me.

It's applying lipstick before a lone walk in the woods, just as the leaves begin to turn from summer to fall. The scent is really lovely. It is sweet, but the wood keeps it reined-in from becoming a pastry.

I think if you enjoy violet scents, this ought to be part of your wardrobe. It has "good bones".

I believe I'll need another bottle within the year.
27th October, 2015
Starts off with candy violets and then quickly moves into cedar. Much like Gris Clair the top and bottom notes fuse together and continue for a long time. The cedar is very strong and makes this a unisex scent with a smoky wood base. Well done.
23rd November, 2014
Genre: Floral Oriental

I was delighted to find Bois de Violette available for testing – even purchase – at Bergdorff’s recently, and given its reputation I plied my way past one of the most pretentious and ill-informed sales associates on planet earth to try it.

For me, wearing Bois de Violette was like lying in a snug cedar box filled with candied violets. Funereal, isn’t it? Well, Bois de Violette is not a "happy" scent. In fact, it’s close, dark, and thick, especially for its first hour on the skin. After that the lugubrious opening accord begins to sweeten and soften – first very slowly, then with exponential acceleration. Just when I think Bois de Violette is going to careen into the side rail of my tolerance for powdered sugar, its engine catches fire, and the resulting cloud of smoke redeems it for me. Once Bois de Violette settles in to its drydown I’m treated to the familiar smoky, spiced honey base that so many of the Lutens fragrances share.

Bois de Violette is an impressive, hard-hitting scent, one of those that I can admire without actually liking. All for the best, as far as my wallet is concerned, since it’s at least one much-praised niche fragrance that I won’t have to buy.

(An aside: Smelling the two side-by-side, it’s clear that Bois de Violette is the inspiration for Tom Ford’s ugly little Black Violet. Were Bois de Violette widely distributed in North America, Mr. Ford need not have bothered.)
09th June, 2014
A swarm of sweet blue-purple violets, adding up to a haze of sweet blue-purple scent. The cedar base is discernible after a few hours, but it remains firmly in the background. The violets here are both plasticky and candied, lending a juvenile, bubblegum-happy air to the perfume. I find violets difficult, though. No matter what the composition, they find a way to bully and talk over the other notes, leaving most violet scents (for me, at least) to perform as a singular blast of purple blue noise, sweet, high, and penetrating. The smell of violets in perfumery is so powerful and dominant that I cannot find any contrasts in tone/pitch or any significant development in fragrances that rely on them. And without contrast in tone, or development of a scent over time, you do not have sophistication. In my opinion.
26th May, 2014
Quarry Show all reviews
Genteel Bois de Violette offers the wearer the loveliest satisfaction in the categories of florals and greens, then rounds them out with that Lutens/Chanel bois interpretation. My favorite part is the violet top that makes my head swim delight upon application. The heart notes hum along with what I find to be a perfect touch of spice (which is to say, with timidity). The dry down makes me want to curl up in my own arms to smell the woody base right at nose-to-skin level. Chanel’s Bois des Iles is sweet and desirable in winter, but BdV's “bois” is less vanilla sweet, making it ideally suited for springtime temps. The only way to improve upon it is to spray more.
19th May, 2014
Celestial, classy, aerial. Powdery and bright, with a delicate and elegant structure of violet petals on woods. Overall, I get an unexplicable sense of "blue" colour here - try it wearing blue garments and you'll get what I mean! Quite close on skin but really persistent.

13th February, 2014 (last edited: 05th April, 2014)

Add your review of Bois de Violette

Shop for Bois de Violette products online

Shop for Bois de Violette at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Bois de Violette

Member images of Bois de Violette

There are no member images of Bois de Violette yet. Why not be the first?