Bois du Portugal (1987)

HouseCreed
PerfumerPierre Bourdon
Parent CompanyCreed

About Bois du Portugal

Bois du Portugal is a masculine fragrance by Creed. The scent was launched in 1987 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Pierre Bourdon

Bois du Portugal fragrance notes

Reviews of Bois du Portugal

This is labeled a masculine cologne.
It is all about citrus and orange blossoms with a hint of bark seen through the branches.
It starts out as off puttingly feminine and slowly gets more serious and darker as it walks into the mysterious shades towards the trees but never looses that au pair's hand bag vibe.
Projection and longevity are poor.

Fragrance: 6/10
Projection: 6.75/10
Longevity: 5.75/10
21st May, 2019
The first time i smelt this i couldn't wait to wash it off. There was something in it which i thought was coriander that i hated.

However this also happened to me with Green Irish Tweed and Himalaya. Both of which are in my top 5 Creeds now. With this in mind i brought a bottle at a good price and now it is almost tied with Green Irish Tweed for second place. And definitely my favorite Creed for Fall and winter.

I really do love this fragrance now but like alot of great things in life you must give it time to appreciate it. I do get the old fashioned/mature vibe to this but I'd lean to more a timeless classic.

Im 28 and when i wear this i feel confident and invigorated!

Out of all my Creeds (15 bottles) i find this performs very well on me probably only second to Aventus.

The opening is dominated by bright Lavender, Cedar and Bergamot. After about 30mins is fades into a gorgeous woody drydown with a saltiness of the ambergris coming forward while the lavender lingers around. In the later stages of the drydown it goes into a creamy sandalwood salty gourmand almost chocolatey hint amongst it.

I have worn this and woke the next morning and smelt something lingering, i smell my arm where i applied it and it has this rich subtle chocolatey sandalwood scent which is very close to the skin. At first i thought that's not Bois Du Portugal but this has happened quite a few times.

This has so many different stages and even after wearing it many times it is still surprising me! It is very complex considering the amount of notes also very refined and balanced.

Although mainly suited for formal events or nights out it can be pulled off in any case by the right person.

Funnily enough my most compimented Creed followed by Aventus.

It is truly a timeless classic and will always be in my collection.

4.5/5
22nd April, 2019 (last edited: 03rd August, 2019)
This fragrance smells of green lavender with sandalwood and vetiver. It has a green, somewhat woody opening, and gets much more woody in drydown. It's very old-fashioned and masculine. The drydown also kind of reminds me of Lalique White (lemon-pepper-woods type accord). As with most Creeds, it has moderate-soft projection, and dies down into a skin scent in about 2-3 hours. Overall it's ok but nothing special in my opinion and way overpriced. There are other old-fashioned masculine scents that are far superior to this, for example Geo F. Trumper Eucris, or even Houbigant's Fougere Royal (the modern reissue).

3.5/5
28th February, 2019
Stately classic. This is a must have Creed fragrance. The bergamot provides the initial punch. Lavender comes in behind it to carry the tune and eventually the woods smooth it all out. This is NOT a casual scent but could be pulled off in shorts by the right guys.
24th February, 2019
It's been 15 or so years since I've been active on this site, and probably about the same amount of time since I last owned this fragrance. I bought it out of a sense of nostalgia. Of the 300 or so fragrances I once owned, I'm down to 10-15, and wanted to add a few of the old stalwarts.

Enter Creed Bois du Portugal. Summary - how have I gone the last 10-15 years without this? Especially this time of year (winter) in the northern climate (Minnesota) that I live in.

I'm not going to try to parse notes; for me, that's a fool's errand. This starts out with a strong and forceful blast, and projects (sillage) with the best of them. It mellows to wood, amber and a hint of soap, but remains strong, if perhaps sticking a little closer to the body.

The notes, whatever they might be, exude class throughout the evolution on the skin. On the dry side, without the overt sweetness I've found in other "formal" scents. While others have suggested this is a "special occasion" cologne, I disagree. Yes, it's all of that. But like wearing a top notch watch with a flannel shirt, BdP is more versatile than that. Flannel shirt, Explorer II, BdP - perfect packaging!

The trick with BdP - don't overspray. This is powerful stuff, and remains powerful for a long time. Too much - headache time. Trust me, I've done that to myself, and who knows how many others in my space. A spray or two is enough for me and those I care about! Don't make the mistake I did - "it's a Creed, I better go 6-8 sprays". BdP is not that kind of Creed (MI, SMW, etc), but rather comes across with an intensity more often reserved for EdPs.

I bought a 1.7 and thought the price was high. After receiving it, and realizing how little I need to spray to get the desired effect, this might be a bargain.
20th February, 2019 (last edited: 19th February, 2019)
What I can add to all the reviews and the genre it belongs in, I feel it is one of the best Creed offering. Great longevity and silage, as mentioned previously I would compare to Chanel Pour Monsieur without the huge lemon opening and regard it as a mature smelling fragrance. I wear a suit at work and it works well for me all day. One of the top fragrances from this house.
26th December, 2018

Add your review of Bois du Portugal

Shop for Bois du Portugal products online

Shop for Bois du Portugal at online perfumeries

Pick A Cologne Body Oil/Perfume Oil 1oz Plastic Bottle Scents .Listings # A-F

End Date: Monday Dec-9-2019 8:48:27 PST
Buy It Now for only: $13.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Creed Bois du Portugal 120ml Tester Batch 15Y01 Authentic & Fast from Finescents

End Date: Monday Dec-9-2019 13:12:36 PST