Boss Number One (1985)

HouseHugo Boss
PerfumerPierre Wargnye
Parent Company at launchBetrix

About Boss Number One

The first fragrance by Hugo Boss was launched in 1985. The name was changed in 1998 to 'Number One' due to the release of a new Boss. The fragrance contains notes of bergamot, honey and patchouli.

Boss Number One fragrance notes

Reviews of Boss Number One

If I didn't know any better, I'd almost think this was an old ladies perfume. But I do know better, and I like it, although I don't think it would fit on me.

Most of the men's fragrances from the 1980s smells very harsh and oppressive to me: Kouros, Antaeus, Drakkar Noir, Lapidus, Santos, etc. He-man fragrances essentially.

Boss Number One is elegant and sophisticated in my opinion.
I've opined that current Halston 1-12, and Aramis run the risk of smelling like your older aunt's/grandma's perfume to anyone 30 and under. This is not quite that risky, although it definitely smells of its era.

If you've seen those ads from that decade of the suave gentleman, or the sharply dressed businessman on his day-to-day, I can see him wearing this fragrance.
14th November, 2017
(2017 formula) This fougere is well done and is quite uplifting. To me, it falls somewhere between Aramis and Lauder for men. Maybe a bit more masculine than the latter actually.
The base notes in this current formulation make for average longevity, and the sillage never reaches 80's era levels.
It is a feel good scent and deserves your attention, should you be seeking an affordable classic fougere.
Blind buy? Do it.
11th September, 2017 (last edited: 13th September, 2017)
Old-school men's powerhouse scent that is quite fresh and enjoyable.

I thought I'd pass out from the initial spray-on's intensity, but Boss Number One mellows out into a powdery sweet-spicy fougere meant for older wearers.

Not totally dated, Boss Number One is still a fragrance worth checking out.
04th May, 2017
Flat out like ripping off a bandage this patchouli and honey infused cologne by Hugo Boss isn't original.I'm afraid Givenchy Gentleman beat them to the punch.But I like Hugo Boss Number One a lot more.It seems richer in patchouli,more spicey,and there's something about Givenchy Gentleman I don't like...it's prissy...Number One smells more raw and manly!
01st January, 2017
On me, Number One lands somewhere between Brut and Grey Flannel. At its core, it's a nice mix of silvery violet leaf and lavender creating a very classic fougere smell, while lifted by mint and grounded with mace and cinnamon pie spices. It's less bright than Brut, which uses almost nuclear mint and wintergreen, while Number One is much more balanced. I've quite enjoyed wearing it. Thumbs up!
21st December, 2016
Vintage Boss from the 80s smells like a nice alternative to Lauder for Men. This also has funk, but it's restrained enough to work for a business meeting. It is sophisticated, but something is holding me back from true love, although maybe it could grow on me with a full bottle.

A little over a month after sampling this, I was still thinking about it, so I sampled some more and decided to buy a vintage bottle.
26th April, 2016 (last edited: 03rd June, 2016)

Add your review of Boss Number One

Shop for Boss Number One products online

Shop for Boss Number One at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Boss Number One

Member images of Boss Number One

There are no member images of Boss Number One yet. Why not be the first?