Boss Number One (1985)

HouseHugo Boss
PerfumerPierre Wargnye
Parent Company at launchBetrix

About Boss Number One

The first fragrance by Hugo Boss was launched in 1985. The name was changed in 1998 to 'Number One' due to the release of a new Boss. The fragrance contains notes of bergamot, honey and patchouli.

Boss Number One fragrance notes

Reviews of Boss Number One

Dated and well-constructed. Good scent for <you guessed it> a boss in the office. Smells good on others but, whether vintage or newer, you got to be ok with honey.

Oh Honey, too much honey for me.
30th December, 2017
I came so close to buying chanel anteaus (it ain't cheap even tho times have moved on), I'd been looking for a typical 80's hairy chest type of scent for ages. Kouros is too loud and pissy for my liking and anteaus lacks strong character and balls , I find aramis excellent in many ways tho..Boss number 1 just nails everything perfectly in all departments tho for me. What a masterpiece of masculine power and sheer animalic silage. When I smell this I instantly think of Wall Street and success. The best thing about boss number 1 tho is that it is never over the top or comical, the fragrance genuinely is balanced to perfection with all the characteristic notes of the 80's fragrances blended so harmoniously. These sort of fragrances are due a come back soon guilty absolute is testing the water a bit recently but when the time come's I'll be more than happy with this masterpiece.
16th December, 2017
Okay, 1985's Boss Number One.
The opening is a very classic, crisp, cologne-y smelling type of 80s fragrance. I like that about it. It comes across as slightly sophisticated and formal.
Then it gets powdery. A little too powdery, with a dash of dirtiness in there. To my unsophisticated nose, it smells like something someone's great aunt would wear. "Dandy" is what comes to mind at this point.
Finally, as it dries down more and becomes more of a skin scent, it loses that powdery-ness and actually smells masculine. The honey and dirtiness is most prominent at this stage, and as you keep smelling it, it alternates between those two notes and something else. I don't know what it is, but overall, that skin scent dry down is the best part of it.

And yeah, I can sort of detect the pissy/urine note that some people say it has. I mean, I don't think it smells like pee, but I can see how some people might interpret it that way, especially in relation to how modern men's fragrances smell like.

Overall, I think it's okay. It definitely has character, it has that nostalgic, classic style to it, but the powdery part of keeps me from buying it. But if you're a fan of 1980s fragrances like me, definitely try it out.

14th November, 2017 (last edited: 04th January, 2018)
(2017 formula) This fougere is well done and is quite uplifting. To me, it falls somewhere between Aramis and Lauder for men. Maybe a bit more masculine than the latter actually.
The base notes in this current formulation make for average longevity, and the sillage never reaches 80's era levels.
It is a feel good scent and deserves your attention, should you be seeking an affordable classic fougere.
Blind buy? Do it.
11th September, 2017 (last edited: 13th September, 2017)
Old-school men's powerhouse scent that is quite fresh and enjoyable.

I thought I'd pass out from the initial spray-on's intensity, but Boss Number One mellows out into a powdery sweet-spicy fougere meant for older wearers.

Not totally dated, Boss Number One is still a fragrance worth checking out.
04th May, 2017
I wish I could praise this scent because this is similar to Givenchy Gentleman in the patchouli and honey aspect.In fact the first time you smell Number One you might find Givenchy's formula to be cleaner,delicate,and lower in projection.

Never again will I wear this which is a shame because I love patchouli and the tobacco came off nicely.Thinking back almost 20 years ago part of it was the honey...too much of it and overly sweet.In the honey though lied this disgusting piss quality which I only imagine I could reference with violet.
01st January, 2017 (last edited: 04th February, 2018)

Add your review of Boss Number One

Shop for Boss Number One products online

Shop for Boss Number One at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Boss Number One

Member images of Boss Number One

There are no member images of Boss Number One yet. Why not be the first?