Bowling Green (1986)

HouseGeoffrey Beene
Parent CompanyRevlon Inc > Elizabeth Arden Inc
Parent Company at launchElf Aquitaine > Sanofi Beauté

About Bowling Green

Bowling Green is a masculine fragrance by Geoffrey Beene. The scent was launched in 1986

Bowling Green fragrance notes

Reviews of Bowling Green

Mind blowing stuff, really. This had to have been inspired by Green Irish Tweed.

I am amazed that something like this isn't as loved as something like Fahrenheit. Although they are so very different, they both present that classic aura, they bring you back to the 80s, but they are both still very modern.

Bowling Green opens up with an amazing lemon verbena note, I mean, breathtaking, vibrant, uplifting, even better than the lemon verbena top note in Green Irish Tweed, which is hard to top. It blends smoothly with a noticeable bergamot. About 10 minutes in, the bergamot fades, the lemon verbena remains strong, and it becomes more herbal, and green. The pine note is excellent, it's not modern, but it's not dated, it fits in well. As it dries, it becomes more lavender heavy.

Unfortunately toward the 2 hour mark, the beauty starts to fall apart. Not to say it's bad, because it's still good, but not great. The base smells sort of cheap. It's hard to tell what I am even smelling at this point. A somewhat wet mossy, musky, floral. It kind of incorporates pieces of Grey Flannel, only much much lighter.

The first 2 hours are gorgeous. Even younger guys will probably love this. Don't be biased and dismiss a fragrance for its age. If this was remarketed and redone today, with a different label, I guarantee people would talk about what a modern classic this will be.

We are fortunate that Geoffrey Beene either brought this back out of discontinuation, or somebody found a massive stockpile of this somewhere and they've been selling all over the internet for $15-20 bucks for a 4 oz bottle. One of the best bang for your bucks out there. I have not smelled the original, and I am sure it's been reformulated just like everything else has, so I can't say how this used to be. I can say how it is now, and it is excellent!
24th May, 2017
For an inexpensive juice, Bowling Green impresses. Snappy summer barbershop with bergamot, flawed only by its quick fade like Eau de Grey Flannel. It simmers down to a pachouli base; I don't love that element, it's OK. This would make a splendid Vacation favorite during a month at the Cape.
16th March, 2017 (last edited: 30th March, 2017)
Not the one in the picture, this is the original Sanofi one with a little cloth tied round the cap.

It's different, evidently. I get a little citrus and it's spicy and green but the pale sweet fruity core - that runs all the way down - smells like pear. And that makes it a little ... flaccid.

Pear fougère. Nice but not outstanding.

***/*
30th August, 2016 (last edited: 14th September, 2017)
ad_scott Show all reviews
This is a remarkable scent. On first sniff it is Drakkar Noir's cousin, however I prefer Bowling Green as it's more natural, calm and classy than its kinsman. I don't mind Drakkar Noir but I found it too stout and more on the artificial side.

The name of Bowling Green fits well with the scent - it's different tones of green grass and trees which are taken care of by a greenkeeper. EDT is sturdy in projection, sillage and longevity.

Remindful of the putting green at the golf club after a little rain in spring time. Fresh lemon in the opening then it calms to pine and fir. It's different greens all the way through, like a lavish golf course or a graceful landscape; not any woods really, just greens. Bowling Green is a classic, every gentleman/fragrance collector should own it.
11th March, 2016
Oviatt Show all reviews
So aptly named, this is a stroll along an herbaceous border in an English garden, the freshly cut grass clinging to your shoes. This is all about freshness and being out of doors as opposed to the urban, indoors refinement of the monumental Grey Flannel. This never found its market the way that Grey Flannel did and--as often happens with sophomore efforts--it was fairly quickly sidelined. For many years I kept a bottle of this in my shaving kit, so I associate it with travel to fun places. One of my travels took me to stay in a house in the English countryside and when I came down in the morning, my hostess couldn't get over how good I smelled--she told me that she wore Vent Vert and that my cologne smelled like a manly version of the Balmain perfume.
11th August, 2015
I'm suprised to see lemon as a top note, not so noticeable to me.

When wearing Bowling Green all I can think of first is fir/forest green and then some fresh herbaceous notes. Then maybe somewhere in the background some citric, maybe.

I can't make up my mind as to whether this is a cool/cold or wart/hot scent. I'm also surprised to see it gets overwhelmingly a spring/summer vote. When I've worn this I tend to think of it more as a cool climate fragrance.

Another thing about this Geoffrey Beene product is that it brings to mind more formal events and a scent for those over 30. I'm not going to hold it against you if you're younger and give it a go though.

12th March, 2015

Add your review of Bowling Green

Shop for Bowling Green products online

Shop for Bowling Green at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Bowling Green

Member images of Bowling Green

There are no member images of Bowling Green yet. Why not be the first?