Bowling Green (1986)

HouseGeoffrey Beene
Parent CompanyElizabeth Arden Inc
Parent Company at launchElf Aquitaine > Sanofi Beauté

About Bowling Green

Bowling Green is a masculine fragrance by Geoffrey Beene. The scent was launched in 1986

Bowling Green fragrance notes

Reviews of Bowling Green

ad_scott Show all reviews
This is a remarkable scent. On first sniff it is Drakkar Noir's cousin, however I prefer Bowling Green as it's more natural, calm and classy than its kinsman. I don't mind Drakkar Noir but I found it too stout and more on the artificial side.

The name of Bowling Green fits well with the scent - it's different tones of green grass and trees which are taken care of by a greenkeeper. EDT is sturdy in projection, sillage and longevity.

Remindful of the putting green at the golf club after a little rain in spring time. Fresh lemon in the opening then it calms to pine and fir. It's different greens all the way through, like a lavish golf course or a graceful landscape; not any woods really, just greens. Bowling Green is a classic, every gentleman/fragrance collector should own it.
11th March, 2016
Oviatt Show all reviews
So aptly named, this is a stroll along an herbaceous border in an English garden, the freshly cut grass clinging to your shoes. This is all about freshness and being out of doors as opposed to the urban, indoors refinement of the monumental Grey Flannel. This never found its market the way that Grey Flannel did and--as often happens with sophomore efforts--it was fairly quickly sidelined. For many years I kept a bottle of this in my shaving kit, so I associate it with travel to fun places. One of my travels took me to stay in a house in the English countryside and when I came down in the morning, my hostess couldn't get over how good I smelled--she told me that she wore Vent Vert and that my cologne smelled like a manly version of the Balmain perfume.
11th August, 2015
I'm suprised to see lemon as a top note, not so noticeable to me.

When wearing Bowling Green all I can think of first is fir/forest green and then some fresh herbaceous notes. Then maybe somewhere in the background some citric, maybe.

I can't make up my mind as to whether this is a cool/cold or wart/hot scent. I'm also surprised to see it gets overwhelmingly a spring/summer vote. When I've worn this I tend to think of it more as a cool climate fragrance.

Another thing about this Geoffrey Beene product is that it brings to mind more formal events and a scent for those over 30. I'm not going to hold it against you if you're younger and give it a go though.

12th March, 2015
Genre: Fougère

Bowling Green’s sunny, green herbaceous opening accord is the perfect olfactory expression of its name. The grassy notes recede only slightly with time, making way as they do for a succulent lemon that’s a dead ringer for the one that anchors the wonderful Monsieur Balmain. A warm, well-defined cardamom, soft lavender, and some bracing coniferous notes fill out the structure, and once these manifest themselves Bowling Green goes along on a steady, linear course for a couple of hours before shifting into a sandalwood-and-spice dominated drydown. Oddly transparent and “modern” smelling for something done in the mid ‘80s, and I’m sad to see it discontinued. On the plus side, it can still be found very cheaply, and is very much worth owning for fans of green and citrus fragrances.
09th June, 2014 (last edited: 10th June, 2014)
rbaker Show all reviews
Green freshness

Lemon, bergamot, lavender and basil - the opening blast has lots of traditional citrus, but the added herbal greenness is striking. With a touch of fruitiness that is balanced by just the right amount of cardamom. Moss adds another note, and cedarwood arises in the base. Whilst the later stages are nice, is is the first hour after the opening that is phenomenally good. Adequate silage and projection, but pretty much gone after two hours, although I get the occasional whiff another hour. Very well done, straightforward without fuss.

10th August, 2013
I love this scent and it is (was) a very good deal for the money, I still own maybe half a bottle but I will not miss it once it is gone because ther are other scents that are very similar to replace it.
Trophee (Lancombe) is almost indistinguishable, but I still like BG better. M pour Monsieur (Marc de la Morandiere) is practically identical, with the difference that MpM is made with better quality materials, but it is hard to find. Finally, Loewe pH is a much better version of BG, so if you are missing BG get yourself a bottle of Loewe pH and will forget BG for good. Loewe pH is much better, refined, sophisticated while maintaining the spirit of BG alive, in another words, BG is to me the crude version of LpH.
At any rate, BG was a better value for the money because it was priced well below all those just mentioned.
23rd September, 2012 (last edited: 05th October, 2012)

Add your review of Bowling Green

Shop for Bowling Green products online

Shop for Bowling Green at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Bowling Green

Member images of Bowling Green

There are no member images of Bowling Green yet. Why not be the first?