Brut (1964)

HouseFabergé
PerfumerKarl Mann
Parent CompanyPallinghurst Resources

About Brut

It's Brut! What more can be said....

Brut fragrance notes

Reviews of Brut

This is for the Special Reserve cologne spray with the medallion.

Let me get my criticisms of this fragrance out of the way:
-This smells very dated. It's so far removed from what people are wearing and have BEEN wearing that scent association goes straight away to grandpa.
-Reminds me of the original Old Spice. It's spicy, heavy and over powering. I don't like spicy fragrances. Lapel roll's review is on the money when he says that Brut is almost like an oriental.

Now the good things about it:
+It's a nostalgic scent. Even though I wouldn't want to wear this in the summer, it reminds me of that season and playing tennis. And showering after a game and using the Brut spray on deodorant. This was a popular one way back in the day.
+the dry down is solid and doesn't go dirty.

SMELLS LIKE:
Old Spice. Not directly, but that general style of heavy, spicy, aftershave type of smell.

CONCLUSION:
I won't be wearing this ever. It's just too much. I might try the plastic bottled Brut cologne splash to see if it's a little lighter or diluted.
I'll probably update this review with a comparison of both.

In the meantime, for the era it was produced in, it's great.
07th July, 2018 (last edited: 12th July, 2018)
Green and lemony toned with both barbershop talc and wood in a powder structure with a little vanilla.Rich in dry lemon and some anise.This sits at a hard thumbs down for me...never cared for the way lemon and anise come off which is in a weird way.It smells like this is a rotten lemon pulled out of a dumpster getting baked in the summer heat.The bitter anise is the mold on the lemon which contributes that dried sunbaked feel and these two generate heat...nasty combination.If Brut replaced this with something nicer to flow with this manly barbershop feel it would get a thumbs up easily at the low price.I just can't work with that rancid lemon and anise at all.
27th May, 2018
This review is for a NOS Fabergé-formula early/mid-1990s splash EdT. Semi-vintage (my definition of original/true vintage is 'pre-barcode' - this one has a barcode, therefore semi-vintage).

Note break-downs are not my thing. All I can say, is that it smells truly great! The 'colour' of the scent is a deep, warm moss-green.
The fragrance itself is aromatic, green, creamy and mossy, with a touch of powder 'n' spice and everything nice. Smooth and well-blended.
On my skin, performance is well above average. Longevity is 6+ hours, projection is good for the first couple of hours, then settles down leaving a creamy, mossy ambery trail still detectable to those around you.

This is my first Fabergé-made Brut that I own. Up untill this, I've only had the current Parfums Prestige version which, frankly, isn't bad at all. Current version is actually, imo, much more powdery and has a kinda 'medicinal' aroma to it (which isn't a bad thing) adding a certain sharpness to the scent while still retaining it's aromatic warmth, and still unmistakeably Brut.

There's a lot of vintage fragrances that I want, but there's only a couple that I really need and Brut is certainly one of them.

/martin

18th May, 2018
So I've been writing these reviews for over ten years now and it's taken me this long to review Brut. I guess it's just that Brut needs more than just a summary of its notes. It's an iconic smell, in the strongest sense of the term, right in there with mom's apple pie or Thanksgiving dinner or the smell of a Christmas tree. It's written into our consciousness and our collective memory in a way that no other perfume is (except for maybe Chanel No 5).

So what does it smell like? A fusion of mint and violet leaf melting into a lavender/tonka fougere, sweet with mace and neroli, balanced with a pinch of fusty bergamot. But really, the notes don't matter because it smells like Brut. It smells like Grandpa visiting for the holidays. It smells like your dad taking your mom out for dinner and bowling. It smells like you putting on a splash of your dad's cologne when you're dressing up for your first homecoming dance. It smells like gross 70's singles bars, and it also smells like family and love.

If you haven't smelled Brut lately, please give it a sniff.
15th March, 2018
Stardate 20170330:

Fabrege Version:
When I was in middle school, my father got promoted to a new role in different part of the country. So when we were moving the main mover honcho was doing the dressing table and he saw my father's bottle of Brut. He did not know cologne and never wore them and so I spritzed some on him. He was happy and had a grin - a weird one.

A few days later when we were unpacking in our new home my father could not find his Brut. It never made it to our new place. My father chalked it up to things-that-go-missing-when-one-moves. I knew better.

To this day, whenever I smell Brut, I think of that episode in my life. I never could wear Brut since then. I recently got a Fabrege bottle for cheap (after Colin Maillard mentioned in one of the vintage threads ) hoping that I would be over it.
But no I still hate it.

But I love Rive Gauche PH - which is Brut minus Vanilla, SW, Ylang and Jasmine.
I think it is the vanilla and Ylang that make this fragrance a scrubber. They don't belong in this structure.
30th March, 2017
One of the first scents I had worn as a teen decades ago, and one that I still respect.

Brut is the embodiment of mass market fougere scents for men: Full, warm, bracing fragrances that weren't afraid to be noticed. Brut is spicy, woody, having a clean start and nice finish. As an after shave, it was a real gem to wear; I and other males in my family have used Brut many times in our lives, so there is that sentimental connection for me.

This one is a great cologne and after shave to wear when you just want to smell nice without being too hung up on brand name recognition. It does the job well, and is no doubt a legendary scent worth checking out.
14th March, 2017

BRUT BLUE by Faberge Cologne Spray 3.0 oz for Men edc New in Box

• USD $9.44
  • Time Left: 26 days
  • Shipping from: United States

BRUT by Faberge Cologne Perfume For Men 25.6 5 3oz Spray 100% Original Brand NEW

• USD $8.95
  • Time Left: 3 days
  • Shipping from: United States

Vintage Original Brut Eau De Cologne by Faberge Miniature Bottle (Lot of 10) NEW

• Time Left: 18 days