Brut (1964)

HouseFabergé
PerfumerKarl Mann
Parent CompanyPallinghurst Resources

About Brut

It's Brut! What more can be said....

Brut fragrance notes

Reviews of Brut

There was always a bottle of this floating around during my childhood and following a recent article I read about the comeback of these scents with the young hipster types I thought why not?

In the UK the most common products you see are the Antiperspirant, deodorant and the 100ML glass bottle Aftershave. I had bought the Antiperspirant some months ago. I quite liked it but moved on. So yesterday after having only smelled Brut Aftershave as a child I finally wore it. It's nowhere near as strong as I remember but that's not totally a bad thing in my view. There are some similarities to Rive Gauche Pour Homme but understand they are similar in the way a Timex can be modelled on a Rolex but they will never be equal in detail.

So it is with Brut. That classic smell is there but very much toned down from what I remember. Am I crazy about it? Not really. I've smelled better but I've certainly smelled worse. I slapped some more on again today before I went out. As I was walking down the street I could smell it around me. It was pleasant enough but that's all. I think this is a try-it-for-yourself fragrance. You may love it, you may loathe it or may just be OK with it. For me personally, it was good enough for Elvis who apparently used so much of it you could smell him before he walked into the room. So, if he liked it, it can't be all bad.

07th August, 2018
This is a review for Brut Prestige -

This stuff is nothing like the original. I wore Brut as a teen, and this modern version has neither the bite, the spice, and especially not the strength of the original. The original Brut was named aptly - it was brutish. This modern-day version should be renamed "Soy" or "Soy Boy".

The scent itself is a mild, weaker, version of the original. It did not impress me at all. As for strength, I tried this both on body as well as clothing. The scent dissipates in an hour or two. This scent almost perfectly mirrors the emasculation of the male gender in today's society. If you're a soy boy, snowflake, male-feminist, etc, who strongly believes that there is a patriarchy, and that the male gender is extremely oppressive, this is the scent for you. It's submissive and guaranteed not to offend.

Worthless, emasculated replica of the original. RIP Brut
25th July, 2018
This is for the Special Reserve cologne spray with the medallion.

I always dug Brut products. To me, the aftershave and deodorant used to be synonymous with getting clean, right after hitting the locker room showers. At least back in the day. I think Axe replaced Brut as the school athlete's choice of deodorant.

Anyway, this stuff is so much more potent and strong than the stuff they sell in the plastic bottle. This is more like an oriental fragrance to me. Really thick and heavy.
I think this stuff is too strong.
This smells very dated, especially when it gets down to that spicy powdery dry down phase.

SMELLS LIKE:
The original Old Spice. Not exactly the same, but same vibe: powdery spicy.

CONCLUSION:
It's a classic scent, but even for someone like me who typically likes classics, this one is just far too dated and heavy for me to enjoy.

07th July, 2018 (last edited: 12th September, 2018)
Green and lemony toned with both barbershop talc and wood in a powder structure with a little vanilla.Rich in dry lemon and some anise.This sits at a hard thumbs down for me...never cared for the way lemon and anise come off which is in a weird way.It smells like this is a rotten lemon pulled out of a dumpster getting baked in the summer heat.The bitter anise is the mold on the lemon which contributes that dried sunbaked feel and these two generate heat...nasty combination.If Brut replaced this with something nicer to flow with this manly barbershop feel it would get a thumbs up easily at the low price.I just can't work with that rancid lemon and anise at all.
27th May, 2018
This review is for a NOS Fabergé-formula early/mid-1990s splash EdT. Semi-vintage (my definition of original/true vintage is 'pre-barcode' - this one has a barcode, therefore semi-vintage).

Note break-downs are not my thing. All I can say, is that it smells truly great! The 'colour' of the scent is a deep, warm moss-green.
The fragrance itself is aromatic, green, creamy and mossy, with a touch of powder 'n' spice and everything nice. Smooth and well-blended.
On my skin, performance is well above average. Longevity is 6+ hours, projection is good for the first couple of hours, then settles down leaving a creamy, mossy ambery trail still detectable to those around you.

This is my first Fabergé-made Brut that I own. Up untill this, I've only had the current Parfums Prestige version which, frankly, isn't bad at all. Current version is actually, imo, much more powdery and has a kinda 'medicinal' aroma to it (which isn't a bad thing) adding a certain sharpness to the scent while still retaining it's aromatic warmth, and still unmistakeably Brut.

There's a lot of vintage fragrances that I want, but there's only a couple that I really need and Brut is certainly one of them.

/martin

18th May, 2018
So I've been writing these reviews for over ten years now and it's taken me this long to review Brut. I guess it's just that Brut needs more than just a summary of its notes. It's an iconic smell, in the strongest sense of the term, right in there with mom's apple pie or Thanksgiving dinner or the smell of a Christmas tree. It's written into our consciousness and our collective memory in a way that no other perfume is (except for maybe Chanel No 5).

So what does it smell like? A fusion of mint and violet leaf melting into a lavender/tonka fougere, sweet with mace and neroli, balanced with a pinch of fusty bergamot. But really, the notes don't matter because it smells like Brut. It smells like Grandpa visiting for the holidays. It smells like your dad taking your mom out for dinner and bowling. It smells like you putting on a splash of your dad's cologne when you're dressing up for your first homecoming dance. It smells like gross 70's singles bars, and it also smells like family and love.

If you haven't smelled Brut lately, please give it a sniff.
15th March, 2018

Add your review of Brut

Shop for Brut products online

Brut Cologne by Faberge Perfume Men 3 oz 88ml (Original-Glass Bottle) New In Box

End Date: Saturday Nov-17-2018 8:23:19 PST

Lot Of 3 Vintage Faberge Brut Spray Lotion & Splash On Lotion Cologne

End Date: Saturday Nov-17-2018 19:08:29 PST
Buy It Now for only: $25.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

NEW IN BOX VINTAGE FABERGE BRUT FOR MEN LOTION MINI 3/8 OZ.

End Date: Saturday Nov-17-2018 19:14:47 PST