Brut Musk (1986)

Parent Company at launchRiklis Family Corp

About Brut Musk

Brut Musk is a masculine fragrance by Fabergé. The scent was launched in 1986

Reviews of Brut Musk

The current aftershave version of this can be picked up for very little money (in Europe at least) and it is no longer made by Fabergé; the company was bought out by Unilever ages ago and it is distributed under the name 'Parfums Prestige'. Fabergé was resurrected by some entrepreneur or other but they don't make Brut (or anything at all it seems).

Okay...I got the aftershave and the EDT of this and the aftershave was the more expensive. The EDT cost me...1.99 (euros)! Astonishing. Both were in the new curved bottles. I sprayed the tester of the EDT on my hand in the shop and aside from the initial blast it remained the same sort of aroma from start to finish; apart from the very end. It's not that fresh, it's more like a warm glow with touches of vanilla and moss and, I suppose, the musk it is named for. There was, dare I say, the odd pale faecal note at times and I panicked a few times in case anyone caught a whiff of it. Right at the very end it turned to a caramelised sugar smell, which was a bit odd. I'm going to try again on a day when I can stay at home all day.

The aftershave is a slightly different beast it seems to me. It's fresher when it goes on and actually smells a little like Brut 33 used to smell like in the late 70s: greener, some lavender, a little powdery, a touch of vanilla. Actually a quite decent and masculine aroma in the way Denim is. A worthy aftershave splash.

For the price the aftershave is worth it, but the EDT seems to be a bit hit and miss for some reason. If you're a Brut user the musk aftershave is a good rotation for the colder months.

Pros: price, nostalgic fragrance, masculine in an old-school way. Not plasticky.
Cons: a bit linear and generic.
20th June, 2015 (last edited: 23rd June, 2015)
I own only the aftershave which is very much like the original version only with some musk and woods added which makes it less fresh and more heavy and masculine. This one is more for fall-winter while the original is more for spring-summer imo. Like the original this one also has huge sillage first half hour and lasts when applied heavily like 4 hours which is excellent.
Rating: 7/10
12th May, 2013
Ok, I've been avoiding review-writing as although my collection is expanding at a rate of knots, I don't feel I have a wide enough fragrance vocabulary. That said, this is really rather lovely. It's mega-amber and a soft musk, the western kind that is entirely unrelated to the musk attars I also collect.
The actual musk is more Coty Musk for Men than Jovan Musk, but the amber accord almost drowns it out. The regular Brut powderyness is still very evident and you can tell they are related in a side-by-side test.

I've got the EDT and the deo body spray (the latter is indeed very tenacious) and it is my go-to scent for cold days when I want to be wrapped in coziness. It's like a hug in a bottle, and I have had compliments (and hugs!) to go with it. If you are into definite note separation, pedigree and movement between top, heart and basenotes, avoid. If you want to smell like a soft woolly sweater and get hugs from women (as well as wearing something that will probably lift your spirits on a damp, cold day) get this.

I understand the EDT versions of the new Faberge Brut versions aren't found easily in the US, so I'd advise trawling eBay because all are available here. (Musk, Oceans, Passion, Alaska, Eau de Brut.) I haven't tried Passion or Eau de Brut but the others are also good. I might be brave and go write reviews for them, too.
22nd October, 2011
Stacy Show all reviews
This fragrance has nice citrus top notes that dry down to tobacco-y, spicy woods. My husband walked by one day and smelled SO good to me. It was a nostalgic scent, like a memory of an old movie with a loving grandfather who smelled of fresh pipe tobacco, leather and oranges. I asked him what cologne he was wearing. He said he wasn't wearing any, it was his new deodorant from Brut. I've heard that the cologne version of this can be quite strong, so if you just want a light smell of this fragrance, get the deodorant instead! The scent lasts all day and is very subtle, like it's just the wonderful fragrance of your skin. Yum. ^_^
01st June, 2011
Another excellent variation on the original Brut classic. This one is very manly and perfect for a winter's night out. It's certainly a very affordable scent that stands out amongst it's cheapo rivals, although I'd put it behind the original and Oceans in my Brut collection.
13th June, 2009
Nice and classy, very manly. The fragrance though does not stay on for long on me.
02nd July, 2008

Add your review of Brut Musk

Shop for Brut Musk products online

Search Amazon for Brut Musk

Member images of Brut Musk

There are no member images of Brut Musk yet. Why not be the first?