By Man (1998)
    by Dolce & Gabbana

By Man Fragrance Notes

By Man information

An oriental fragrance from the house of Dolce & Gabbana. The packaging is a striking zebra pattern, which makes it look like a bit of a seventies throw-back. The female version has cheetah spots.

Reviews of By Man

Showing 1 to 6 of 51 reviews.

Anna_V's avatar
    Anna_V

D&G By perfumer

Max's Gavarry divine creations By for man and woman!!!

Bring them back...

03 August, 2013

rbaker's avatar
    rbaker

A lighter gourmand-style

There is a lot of nutmeg and less pepper when it starts off, and then the hedione kicks in. Later on a floral touch leads to wood note, before the ambery aromas emerges. This all makes a well-blended, smooth, rich and warm scent that is of nigh gourmand-like richness, but never too heavy or cloying. Projection and silage are good, and longevity is absolutely excellent at over ten hours, albeit closer to my skin towards the end. One of D&Gs finest.

30th July, 2013

blood-orange's avatar
    blood-orange

I happened to stumble randomly across this fragrance in my local department store. While it has indeed been discontinued, this particular store is still selling it.

This fragrance, that I luckily had the opportunity to test, is quite amazing and unique. Perhaps it is its unique nature that caused this fragrance a lack of sales.

By for Men is a combination of herbaceousness, pepper and nuts. The scent itself is rather bold, a big commander of presence.

I found this perfume to be both sexy and soothing, particularly with the lavender note. In all honesty, I wore this fragrance on two occasions, and I concluded that this fragrance could be unisex.

The tobacco and sandalwood in the drydown, ends By for Men with a deliciously rich smokiness which I really enjoyed. Every time I think of this fragrance's beauty it makes me quite angry to think that in the near future, this fragrance will be a distant memory.

The longevity was very good and the sillage quite strong. The bottle design was also a hit with me. It's such a shame that Dolce & Gabbana didn't think this fragrance was worthy of remaining in their collection for the long-term. By for Men is refreshingly modern, and I feel that it deserves more praise than more recent releases like The One for Men and the Anthology series.

NB. This review was written in late 2010. I believe this fragrance is no longer in stock at that particular store.

01st March, 2012 (Last Edited: 05 June, 2012)

TOMMY.LUCCHESSE's avatar
    TOMMY.LUCCHESSE

GREAT FRAGRANCE!!! a little too femenine at times but a fragrance that will bring compliments from the ladies,,once it hits the dry down it starts smelling more masculine like leather an woody a very unique smell BUT still will have to go with armani code in wish it smells in some way símilar but it gets compliments in higher ways...

07 January, 2012

Fletch31's avatar
    Fletch31

When I want warm, comforting, sexy assuredness I reach for D&G BY. The sad thing is I never smelled this until 2002 because I was so put off by the chintzy bottle design. I had a friend rave about this and I destinctly remember laughing him off close-mindedly as he flashed me his bottle proclaiming it was "the stuff". I had never smelled it on him. Much later, at first smell I was hooked. I can only imagine that the gauche packaging helped attribute to its discontinuation. It looked like a bargin bin crap offering by appearance but oh how I was wrong. Can't judge a book by its cover - It was a hard lesson to learn. Now I am paying top dollar to amass backups for 1.7oz sizes to avoid getting scammed by fakes. I deserve it I guess.

La Nuite de L'Homme by YSL is somewhat similiar to BY but weaker and sweeter than this powerful masterpiece. I can only pray for D&G to rerelease it.

04 May, 2011

PradaG's avatar
    PradaG

This is my "Holy Grail" as well as my signature. I love everything about this fragrance EXCEPT the fact that it is so expensive since being discontinued and the majority of the ones on the online market are fakes so beware. This is one of the few scents I close my eyes to while taking a slow sniff and exhale a whispered "ahhhhhhh". Beastly longevity and silage I give this unique scent a 10/10.

01st April, 2011