Chamade pour Homme (1999)
by Guerlain

Chamade pour Homme information

Year of Launch1999
AvailabilityIn Production / Limited Edition

HouseGuerlain
PerfumerJean Paul Guerlain
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Chamade pour Homme

Chamade pour Homme is a masculine fragrance by Guerlain. The scent was launched in 1999 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Jean Paul Guerlain

Chamade pour Homme fragrance notes

Reviews of Chamade pour Homme

Spicy and smooth, Chamade Pour Homme reminds me a great deal of Bel Ami without the heaviness of the latter. It is after all a Guerlain.

The nutmeg may be accompanied by a bit of unidentified cinnamon, as the spice effect is sweet rather than bitter. There is a bit of Oud in the "precious woods," for this re-release, but not enough to turn me off to it.

My nose does not detect the floral note of hyacinth, which surprises me, as it is one of my very favorite florals and I surround myself with the flowering plants every spring. Identifiable to me or not, the floral sweetness combines well with the spice notes.

An excellent masculine, not outstanding in any way, but perfectly decent. One wonders why it had to re-use the classic "Chamade" tag, and not just stand on its own. Worth a sniff.
22nd October, 2017
rbaker Show all reviews
The lovely and crispy bergamot in the opening is given a touch of spiciness that consists of a gentle peppery notes, a gentle black pepper that is. Restrained crispness is the appropriate comment here.

The drydown turns floral, and violet with added violet leaf are in the foreground. Hyacinth and a whif of geranium are also present, the former more so than the latter.

The base looses the florals fast, replacing them with woods and leather. The leather is not exciting at all; neither a smooth new Italian nappa leather nor a gasoline fuelled harsh tannin impression. The wood is pleasant, but a bit non-distinct.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection and ten hours of longevity.

Compared with Coriolan, it has less lemon input to the top notes, is more floral in the middle, lacks the absinthe booziness and is less crisp in the base. On me Chamade pour homme is more subdued and less spright in colour.

A pleasant scent for cooler summer days. 3/5.
07th February, 2017
Certain fragrances exert a siren call upon me as spring rounds the bend – Guerlain’s Chamade, Tauer’s Zeta and Sisley’s Eau de Campagne. Chamade pour Homme has recently joined those ranks, a perfume that infused my being with a desire to grab a bottle the moment I sniffed it. I held out for half a year, but each subsequent encounter just confirmed this as a must have.
Chamade pour Homme’s main premise is bold and straightforward – an upfront, garden fresh hyacinth note juxtaposed against a classy (and classic) barbershop ensemble. But my goodness, it works some magic; it is such a confident and invigorating scent, confirming Jean-Paul Guerlain’s genius at creating floral prominent perfumes that fit easily within traditional ‘masculines’.
I suspect noses more attuned to the barbershop aspects may not find anything all that special about Chamade pour Homme as they will hone in on the fairly traditional violet leaf, pepper and clean vetiver backing, with a generous dose of foliage greens. But it’s that hyacinth – heady, unctuous and yet dewy fresh – that’s the sparkling gem set against this backdrop that lifts CpH to the ranks of the extraordinary, the difference between crystal and glass.
Spray generously and luxuriate.
15th March, 2015
Genre: Chypre

Side-by-side comparison confirmed for me what others have attested: that Chamade pour Homme is more or less the same scent as the defunct Coriolan and the limited distribution L’Ame d’un Héros. If Chamade pour Homme differs at all from L’Ame d’un Héros (besides in color), it’s in the drydown, which might be slightly less refined, less powdery, and less animalic. The very subtle difference may just as well be due to batch variation in ingredients or sample age as to any difference in composition, and I see no reason for anyone to own both of these scents.
11th June, 2014
Most of time I wear this fragrance in the evening, as I find it has a romantic note. To me it smells initially floral, a strong scent of hyacinth, violet and rose, pleasant and refined. After a while it becomes even more sensual, with a leathery tone to it.
19th September, 2010
I too have done a side by side comparison of Chamade pour Homme and Coriolan. They do belong to the same family, and have some things in common, but the difference between them is significant as far as I'm concerned. I find CPH to be much more refined and elegant than Coriolan. Whereas Coriolan is a bitter spicy chypre, CPH is a much more green floral chypre.

Coriolan opens with smack in the face of lemon leaves and petigrain on top of a plethora of spices beneath a base of austere leather and patchouli (which notes are evident from the opening).

CPH, on the other hand opens with a very elegant black pepper and bergamot. The heart is green floral: A perfect blend of hyacinth and violet notes with a hint of nutmeg and green aldehydes. The leather in the base of CPH has none of the rawness of Coriolan and it sits on a bed of sandal and vetiver rather than the patchouli of Coriolan.

Are there some similarities between the two fragrances? You bet. How similar are they? Well, unlike many of my friends, I actually happen to like Coriolan, but it has none of the refinement or elegance of Chamade Pour Homme. CPH is a green floral chypre, whereas Coriolan is a bitter, spicy leather chypre. Is CPH worth a trip to Paris? I think so. In fact I just got back home with a bottle!
12th July, 2010

Add your review of Chamade pour Homme

Shop for Chamade pour Homme products online

Search Amazon for Chamade pour Homme

Member images of Chamade pour Homme

There are no member images of Chamade pour Homme yet. Why not be the first?