Chaz (1975)

Based on 17 ratings

Chaz information

FIFI awards winner in 1976

Reviews of Chaz

Showing 1 to 6 of 13 reviews.

Mysticman's avatar

Chaz is a floral fougere that comes across almost like a leathery chypre. It bears more than a passing resemblance to Balenciaga's Portos, which lacks the distinctive Tonka note of a true fougere, but otherwise has many similarities --- fresh citrus and green topnotes giving way to wood, spices, moss and leather. A product of the disco era, it does have some of that brashness about it, but also a sophistication well beyond that of John Travolta's Tony Manero character in "Saturday Night Fever." I have the original Revlon formula, which is quite long-lasting on my skin.

H&R's Fragrance Guide lists the notes as:

TOP: Lavender, rosemary, laurel, bergamot, lemon
    MIDDLE: Geranium, carnation, pine, coriander, cinnamon, clary sage, cyclamen
    BASE: Cedarwood, moss, musk, tonka, amber

Splash on some Chaz, put on the Trammps' "Disco Inferno" and burn the mutha' down!

10th June, 2014

rbaker's avatar

Review of the original Revlon formulation:
    An mandarin-citrus opening that has a somewhat boozy component with a green touch that is very pleasant; it is followed by a herbal moment before developing into a wood-based scent. In the drydown a gentle patchouli leads to a warm amber note, which in the later stages is sided by a restrained moss base. Never loud, this is balanced, well-blended, never heavy and not without a touch of elegance. Decent silage and projection, and four hours of longevity on my skin. Good on a cool spring day.

02 December, 2013

Palmjeff's avatar

My First ever scent.

This cologne I remember was my first mens cologne to buy in a store. I may have tried Brut or Old spice given to me as gifts though. I didn't know any thing about mens colognes in how to shop for them or how to pick them out at that time. I bought it in either late 1979 or 1980. After awhile I quit wearing the cologne but I still had some left in the bottle. Eventually it went bad and then I threw it out. I heard they re-packaged it with a new look on the bottle and package several years ago. I don't know if they reformulated it too.? The old formula smelled so strong and very woody. My Mom smelled it on me one time and to her it smelled like wood. I heard its' discontinued now and I don't know if they sell it anywhere. I really don't care, as I don't like the scent anymore.

Pros: Woody type of scent.
    Cons: Smells too strong."

23 September, 2013

shamu1's avatar

This is a totally dull, yawn-inducing 1970s-styled aromatic spicy scent (i.e., citrus on top of spicy wood notes and patchouli) with ZERO projection. I don't have the original Revlon version, but I can't believe that this has been reformulated all that drastically from the Revlon, because this still smells like a total 70's fragrance. When you can smell it.

A perfect scent for the guy who hates smelling fragrance, but loves the concept of wearing it. I hate this scent.

MY RATING: 3/10

30th September, 2010 (Last Edited: 06 October, 2010)

Swanky's avatar

The current rendition of this by Jean Philippe/LMD is junk. No sillage, no longevity and hardly any scent, period. Lasts for about 6 minutes in a very muted orange (think of an even lighter, weaker 4711), then vanishes. Don't be hoodwinked by the bargain price; spend your cash on Canoe or Old Spice if you have less than a sawbuck to sacrifice.

24 August, 2010

Bigsly's avatar

I have the vintage Revlon formulation. The opening is crude and "synthetic," which I've now learned to ignore with these older fragrances. Give it time, and it settles very nicely. Some have compare it to Zino, but I find Zino to be more complex and cruder. Zino also has a tobacco note that is missing here. Chaz seems to be a "woody/amber," but it's smoother than others with this kind of base. I'd describe it as a creamy woody/amber. Other than that, I'd guess there is some leather or suede, patchouli, spice, and perhaps an herbal element. It is not musky, and the wood note is much less powerful and wearable than the modern cedar notes so common in recent "men's" fragrances. I was surprised at how mellow this is, in fact, though I would advise against smelling it up close on the skin. It's one of those fragrances that needs to mix with air before it gets to you nose. Longevity is at least very good and projection/"sillage" is good. I don't spray much so it might have much stronger sillage is you spray 4 or 5 times per wearing. I don't find this too "old school" for those not used to such fragrances, but only spray once on your first wearing!

20th July, 2010

Add your review of Chaz

Search for on eBay United States

Vintage Chaz For Men After Shave 3/4 FL OZ Original Box (REVLON)
    • Listing Type: Buy it Now
    • Time Left: 6 days
    Chaz for Men by Revlon Cologne Spray .8 oz
    • Time Left: 5 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Vintage Chaz Eau De Cologne Splash for Men .5 fl.oz. by Revlon 95% Full USA Made
    • Time Left: 4 days
    CHAZ 2.25 OZ AFTER SHAVE SPLASH FOR MEN BY REVLON NEW IN BOX HARD TO FIND RARE
    • Time Left: 12 days
    RARE REVLON CHAZ FOR MEN COLOGNE .25 OZ 1/4 OZ MINIATURE MINI NEW OLD STOCK
    • Time Left: 27 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    VTG NEW REVLON CHAZ COLOGNE AFTERSHAVE SPLASH SHAVE BALM GIFT SET MEN 1 FL OZ EA
    • Listing Type: Auction
    • 0 Bid(s)
    • Time Left: 2 days
    STARTING BID
    (Shipping from United States)
    Chaz Cologne Splash 2.25 Oz. By Revlon. Vintage. Unbox.
    • Time Left: 12 days
    MUSK BY CHAZ REVLON COLOGNE SPRAY FOR MEN 2.25 oz / 65 ml
    • Time Left: 23 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    Chaz After Shave 1.0 Oz. By Revlon. Unbox.
    • Time Left: 6 days