Chaz (1975)

About Chaz

FIFI awards winner in 1976

Reviews of Chaz

Chet56 Show all reviews
My experience is very similar to ccritic's: a girlfriend gave me a bottle of Chaz EDT for Christmas 1977 during my senior year of college. I only wear fragrances I like myself, and I wore Chaz almost exclusively the rest of my senior year. Because it was strong, I tended to wear it only at night for going out. Chaz always received a great response from my girlfriends and my friends' dates and girlfriends. It has a deep, almost musky woody-citrusy affect that suited that era extremely well still evokes great memories, and remains relevant today, so I wear it occasionally even today. I take advantage of the fact that you can still find Chaz via web outlets.
29th December, 2014
I was given Chaz by a girl I was dating in college, back around 1976. That's really all the recommendation it needed (although having Tom Selleck as its spokesmmodel probably didn't hurt). Once it started to disappear I grabbed the last bottles I could find and still guard what is left. The scent ... 40 years on ... still makes women crazy. (Probably because they don't recognize it anymore but, still, anything that works, works).
04th October, 2014
Chaz is a floral fougere that comes across almost like a leathery chypre. It bears more than a passing resemblance to Balenciaga's Portos, which lacks the distinctive Tonka note of a true fougere, but otherwise has many similarities --- fresh citrus and green topnotes giving way to wood, spices, moss and leather. A product of the disco era, it does have some of that brashness about it, but also a sophistication well beyond that of John Travolta's Tony Manero character in "Saturday Night Fever." I have the original Revlon formula, which is quite long-lasting on my skin.

H&R's Fragrance Guide lists the notes as:

TOP: Lavender, rosemary, laurel, bergamot, lemon
MIDDLE: Geranium, carnation, pine, coriander, cinnamon, clary sage, cyclamen
BASE: Cedarwood, moss, musk, tonka, amber

Splash on some Chaz, put on the Trammps' "Disco Inferno" and burn the mutha' down!
10th June, 2014
Review of the original Revlon formulation:
An mandarin-citrus opening that has a somewhat boozy component with a green touch that is very pleasant; it is followed by a herbal moment before developing into a wood-based scent. In the drydown a gentle patchouli leads to a warm amber note, which in the later stages is sided by a restrained moss base. Never loud, this is balanced, well-blended, never heavy and not without a touch of elegance. Decent silage and projection, and four hours of longevity on my skin. Good on a cool spring day.
02nd December, 2013
My First ever scent.

This cologne I remember was my first mens cologne to buy in a store. I may have tried Brut or Old spice given to me as gifts though. I didn't know any thing about mens colognes in how to shop for them or how to pick them out at that time. I bought it in either late 1979 or 1980. After awhile I quit wearing the cologne but I still had some left in the bottle. Eventually it went bad and then I threw it out. I heard they re-packaged it with a new look on the bottle and package several years ago. I don't know if they reformulated it too.? The old formula smelled so strong and very woody. My Mom smelled it on me one time and to her it smelled like wood. I heard its' discontinued now and I don't know if they sell it anywhere. I really don't care, as I don't like the scent anymore.

Pros: Woody type of scent.
Cons: Smells too strong."

23rd September, 2013
shamu1 Show all reviews

This is a totally dull, yawn-inducing 1970s-styled aromatic spicy scent (i.e., citrus on top of spicy wood notes and patchouli) with ZERO projection. I don't have the original Revlon version, but I can't believe that this has been reformulated all that drastically from the Revlon, because this still smells like a total 70's fragrance. When you can smell it.

A perfect scent for the guy who hates smelling fragrance, but loves the concept of wearing it. I hate this scent.

MY RATING: 3/10
30th September, 2010 (last edited: 06th October, 2010)

Add your review of Chaz

Shop for Chaz products online

Search Amazon for Chaz

Member images of Chaz

There are no member images of Chaz yet. Why not be the first?