cK one (1994)

PackagingFabien Baron
Parent CompanyBenckiser > Coty Inc > Coty Prestige
Parent Company at launchUnilever

About cK one

This popular fragrance from Calvin Klein kicked off the whole unisex buzz when it was released in 1994. Of course there were unisex fragrances before cK One (4711 by Muelhens for example) but it was Calvin Klein that made it sexy.

Reviews of cK one

I bought CK One when it first came out because it seemed to me to be cutting edge at the time of the newly popular fresh scents that were hitting the market in the 90's. It didn't disappoint, I loved wearing it to casual dinners or afternoon sports events. In fact, I think I kept it in my locker at my country club for most of the time I owned it.

I still like the scent today, but it's not one I want to own again. I'm older and it doesn't feel or smell right for me anymore.

Great fragrance for a young man IMO, and definately a winner for Calvin Klein and Co.
13th February, 2015
This really should be pronounced 'one', rhyming with 'zone', as opposed to 'one', rhyming with 'won'. Why? Because it features a grotesque assembly of every crappy synthetic aroma-chemical in the world ending in '-one'. Hedione, calone, calvone, alpha-ionone, thujone, dihydrojasmone, cyclopentadecanone, gamma-decalactone...

It's like somebody used a rhyming dictionary to assemble the recipe.

I do believe this is the most vile thing I have ever smelled, and that includes Davidoff Cool Water, as well as an accidental fire in a sanitary disposal bin in the female toilets of a university hall of residence: don't ask.

The revulsion I feel is at once emotional, cerebral, and visceral. I don't know what to do first: vomit, double-bag the bottle, or incite violence against the perpetrators. Under that umbrella I would include not only the perfumers, but everyone in the CK organisation involved in the decision to bring this to market, anybody who chooses this for their partner, and anyone who stinks of the stuff. The whole chain. Follow the money. Nail the supplier as well as the user. Cut off the head of the snake, as well as its malodorous rattle.

The fragrance pyramid as presented above is distant from the reality.

The top note is paradichlorobenzene, known to cause nausea and dizziness, as well as creating that sharp, irritating feeling of having snorted laundry detergent.

In the middle is the aforementioned hideous agglutination of everything ending in (-one).

The base is nothing, just the skid-marked underpants of the middle layer.

It's a disaster. A total disaster.

22nd January, 2015 (last edited: 13th February, 2015)
Roja Dove tells us that Calvin Klein's successful "unisex" marketing for this inexpensive and synthetic laden "fresh" scent, resulted in the largest selling scent of all time - CK1.

He tells us that "it used enormous quantities of synthetic materials and had an unbridled floral heart based around….lily of the valley, freesia, rose, violet and jasmine….top notes of bergamot, lemon, mandarin and a "green tea" complex." The base is a "light chypre structure with oak moss, cedar wood, nutmeg, sandalwood and a gargantuan synthetic musk."

Turin calls CK1 a "radiant citrus" and gives it four stars. Barbara Herman lauds its eau fraiche style.

I found it to be simply a light herbal citrus scent that was to my nose undistinguished.

Top notes: Bergamot, Cardamom, Mandarin, Lemon, Pineapple, Papaya
Heart notes: Jasmine, Violet, Rose, Nutmeg, Orris, Muguet, Freesia
Base notes: Sandalwood, Amber, Musk, Cedar, Oakmoss, Green Tea, Cedar
20th October, 2014
I'm quite fond of this fragrance. My sister's signature fragrance, and I associate it with her and her home, lots of fun times with her during some special chapters in our lives. It's fresh and clean, slightly citrus-y and in a word, "pleasant".

I recognize it occasionally when out and about, as it's noticeable on others, but not loud. A colleague of mine also wore it and I'd compliment her often on her fragrance choice. It leaves a homey trail when the wearer passes, always making me smile.

When I moved on from that place of work, she gifted me with a bottle to remind me of her, which I still use occasionally. It's very comforting and was such a sweet memento.
18th October, 2014
I think this is great. There is a feeling to it that I find similar to M.I. by Creed and it can be had for so cheap. I had one of those super cheap "our version of" knock-off bottles when I was a young teenager, but I bought a legit bottle last year and the smell is delightful: fruity and floral with just the right amount of territory-marking musk.
22nd August, 2014
I know cK one has a good reputation, but it just smells plain to me. Not unpleasant, but really generic. Granted, this may also be because everybody - I mean *everybody* - wore this when I was a teenager.
30th July, 2014

Add your review of cK one

Shop for cK one products online

Shop for cK one at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for cK one

Member images of cK one

There are no member images of cK one yet. Why not be the first?