Claiborne for Men (1989)

HouseLiz Claiborne
Parent CompanyElizabeth Arden Inc
Parent Company at launchClaiborne Cosmetics

About Claiborne for Men

Claiborne for Men is a masculine fragrance by Liz Claiborne. The scent was launched in 1989

Claiborne for Men fragrance notes

Reviews of Claiborne for Men

When I was in high school, a teacher somehow ended up with a huge box of miniatures of this. She let the students have them, so needless to say everyone smelled like this for a year. This is one of the few colognes to me that smells the same as back in the day. Not sure if that is because it IS vintage because that's all that's left or they are still making it the same way, but I still like it. Smells like the 90s but that's ok. I do get a plastic grassy feel from it. Distinct bottle.
23rd March, 2014
This is to me a "rainy day" fragrance. It's not listed in the pyramid above, but I definitely smell fresh ginger in the top and middle transition --- it there isn't actual ginger here, I'll be really surprised, and there must be some combination of other notes that smells exactly like fresh-cut ginger root. The freshness of the citrus, ginger, juniper, lavender and ozone is what conjures up the rainy day feel for me. Damp days are the only times I think of wearing this, and it seems to suit the overall impression.

Although I like the fragrance from the bottle, something about it doesn't quite work with my skin chemistry, so I very rarely wear it.
01st March, 2014
It's has an acquired taste like scotch. It's very strong and when used lightly works in the winter. Can be overpowering... I recommend two light sprays on wrists then dab on neck.
16th February, 2014
Throwback greenery

I don't smell the citrus in this at all, since I associate citrus with brighter, "happier" scents. This one evokes dark green forest smells, probably from the oakmoss. Herbal to my nose, rather dark. It does have some zing, a kind of sharpness, but not the Lemon Pledge type smell most people usually associate with citrus. Although to me the first hour or so is rather heavy and brooding, it does drop off rather rapidly and that's a good thing ... in tropical climes like here in Manila stronger scents are rather off-putting. Throw in a throwback scent like this and it's going to put quizzical looks on people around me. I like the drydown better than the top. Reviewing this w/o an unfair bias on how it's a cheapo and widely available -- where I'm at it's not and it's really hard to find...bought this blind based on readings I encountered here on BN and I'm pretty happy with it.

21st October, 2013
Like Claiborne's Mambo, this is a non-scent to my skin and nose.

I liberally doused myself with this on a number of occasions. At first I perceived a dry, green pleasant scent, but after a few minutes it totally disappears.

Even if it remained on my skin, I would not rate the scent above average. If rumors are true that it is discontinued, I can understand why.
11th September, 2012
shamu1 Show all reviews
I don't know why everyone says this is discontinued. Like Halston 1-12, you can't walk into a Marshalls or TJ's anywhere in this country without finding a bottle of Claiborne For Men on the shelf.

Having said that, I'm giving my full endorsement of this scent. I don't find it cheap or synthetic smelling at all. Rather, this is an excellent strong citrus fragrance that has amazing longevity. It is excellent value and smells great. I could wear this every day.

Claiborne For Men smells like an dry, green citrus chypre, but it also smells like an 80's scent as well. That's because there's leather and oakmoss in this, and they give the scent some richness and weight, Eighties style, though I wouldn't call this a heavy fragrance or a "power fragrance". It strikes a nice balance between dry, transparent citrus and rich leathery chypre. What more can you ask for in a fragrance?

MY RATING: 8/10
04th July, 2012

Add your review of Claiborne for Men

Shop for Claiborne for Men products online

Shop for Claiborne for Men at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Claiborne for Men

Member images of Claiborne for Men

There are no member images of Claiborne for Men yet. Why not be the first?