Clubman Special Reserve

Clubman Special Reserve information

HousePinaud
Parent CompanyAmerican International Beauty Group

About Clubman Special Reserve

Clubman Special Reserve is a masculine fragrance by Pinaud.

Reviews of Clubman Special Reserve

I am a Pinaud enthusiast. I was enchanted by Clubman, so I ordered everything Pinaud makes(since the line costs an average of a dollar an ounce, this was a reasonable proceeding). In America, you can order them all from the Walgreen's website, with free shipping if the order comes to $25, which you can easily make up with other pharmacy items a courtesy the Pinaud website, Clubmanonline only offers on orders over $75, as well as charging a few dollars more per bottle!

Unfortunately for me, most of them didn't work out. The Lime Sec and Citrus Musk didn't hold on me at all, (I never get duration from citrus scents, which has forever put Koelnwasser, which I love, out of my reach.) I was a little surprised to find that Lilac Vegetal and Classic Vanilla didn't hold on me either.

The Bay Rum did hold, but all Bay Rums end up a bit vinegary on me, so that was out.

No complaints about the fragrances themselves: they were, so far as I could tell, very nice, just not a good match for my skin chemistry.

The Special Reserve I give very high marks. It is a classic spicy-leathery masculine cologne, which has both staying power and presence. It's rather more aristocratic than Clubman: a more delicate blend of scents, and I had to apply it liberally, whereas with Clubman "just a dab will do you."

I would say this was a first-rate middle-range cologne, nearly comparable to the best products of Caswell Massey or L'Occitaine for for quality. A bit like Dewar's Whisky, which has a complex smoky taste out of all proportion to its modest price.

Make no mistake, this is not a great cologne: no one would mistake it for one of G. Trumper's creations. But it is a very agreeable, masculine scent, which at $5.50 for 6 ounces is well worth a try, and, for those of us without an unlimited budget, a fine addition to the permanent repertory.
15th August, 2015
I gotta give this fragrance my thumbs up, how could you not if you can get a huge 180 mL bottle for $5.99.
I get a strong birch tar note on opening which gives this scent a kind of burned rubber feel, but is not too bad, then it calms down to give a very good impression of leather and the spices come in to complement the leather very nicely. Then it turns woodier but the spicy leather remains the dominant note on drydown.
It makes me feel refreshed and is great to splash on after a shower, but I don't over do it like I do with other Pinauds like Lime Sec or Citrus Musk because this one will bite you back if you splash too much.
If you want bang for your buck, this one will do it, a real bargain no matter how you look at it.
17th November, 2014
Like many of the Clubman line, on opening this up, one's first reaction is "Whoa!". And in the millisecond after the understandable impulse to chuck it in the trash, one tries it on. And one ruminates. And maybe waits a day and tries it again. And then even if one decides "it's not for me," you find yourself thinking about it, and deciding, "maybe just one more splash...". And finally finding suddenly that there is something not just redeemable, but "special" about Special Reserve.

I do get lots of leather here, but I get lots of spicy patchouli too, and a cedary pencil-like fragrance, but without the harsh chemical smell of Dana's version of English Leather. And also something that is just right--and meaning just right on one's skin. I agree with previous reviews that out of the bottle, to the uninitiated, this is an abomination, like something gone wrong in one's fridge or like being served shoe polish when you asked for mousse. But like most of the Pinaud line, the proof is in the wearing. And each time I wear it, I insist it's not my favorite of the Pinauds--and then I find myself wearing it again.
22nd March, 2014 (last edited: 28th March, 2014)
Clubman PInaud Special Reserve After Shave Lotion is a rather linear and yet at the same time complex fragrance upon first generous splashes (DO NOT over-splash with this one) with heavy top-notes of base dark spice and ceylon cinnamon along with pine tar and light burnt rubber.

Mid-notes offer up a heavier smoldering amber ember, well-worn leather, balsam fir and mandarin orange. It stays that way through a fairly long and subtle "fade-out" dry-down. This is a surprisingly potent composition from House of Pinaud...a fairly powerful fragrance with a worthy longevity, respectable sillage (when applied judiciously) being sold at "bargain basement" pricing all adds up to a must-have...believe me, get it and you'll agree.

A value-oriented and timeless fragrance from Edouard Pinaud that's within everybody's budget ...what more could you ask for?
01st March, 2014
I bought a bottle of this in part based on the reviews here, and because I quite like Pinaud Clubman. I was expecting a smokey, leathery scent, with a hint of herbs.

That's not at all what this is. Out of the bottle, it's extremely spicy - like somebody mixed off brand Aqua Velva with off brand Old Spice then turned the volume up to 11. It's obnoxious and smells like something somebody would make if they had only heard of aftershave but had never experienced it before.

I applied some anyway because I know from my experience with Pinaud's Lilac Vegetal and Clubman that Pinaud AS usually smells awful out of the bottle, but dries down to something much nicer.

Unfortunately not so much here. The allspice scent fades quickly thankfully, but what's left is mostly herbal - it smells sort of like patchouli and - and - dill and coriander? There is a distinct pickle scent here complete with a slight vinegary sweetness. There is a very faint leather smell hiding behind this herbiness. But basically this smells like sweet pickles sitting on top of an old leather bound book. There are many other scents peeking out here and there but the pickling spice smell dominates.
29th January, 2014 (last edited: 07th February, 2014)
jlentz Show all reviews
I looked around and found this after reading the rave reviews here. It looks as if I stand alone with my perception of this wreck. I get nothing more from this than a sickening Lilac/Leather odor, with more than a hint of plastic from the bottle. I liken it to one of those cheap spray on scents at a car wash. The only redeeming factor if that it's dirt cheap, but still not remotely worth the price.
02nd November, 2013

Add your review of Clubman Special Reserve

Shop for Clubman Special Reserve products online

Search Amazon for Clubman Special Reserve

Member images of Clubman Special Reserve

There are no member images of Clubman Special Reserve yet. Why not be the first?