Mugler Cologne (2001)

HouseThierry Mugler
PerfumerAlberto Morillas
Parent CompanyGroupe Clarins

About Mugler Cologne

Inspired by the clean fresh scent of a soap from Mugler's childhood, Cologne was designed to appeal to people who don't really like fragrance!
Cologne draws on the tradition of early colognes, it is fresh and citrus-sy and is the olfactory opposite of the distinctive scent of Angel.
The scent contains a mystery ingredient, only known as 'S'... maybe it's Sausage?, Salmon?, Soap?, Selotape?.. or maybe its 'S-Perfume' all over again!
The bath line includes a scent free natural crystalline alum stone deodorant, which lasts an age, and you can add your own fragrance too.

Mugler Cologne fragrance notes

Reviews of Mugler Cologne

Oviatt Show all reviews
Mugler Cologne is a wonderful take on traditional eau de cologne, such as the classic 4711, but with a distinctly Mediterranean feel to it. Where 4711 evokes Germanic baden and an alpine cleanliness, Mugler Cologne smells of warmer oceanside climes, in much the way Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino does. I can well imagine Mugler's childhood soap being the inspiration for this--I feel that I have used this very soap in several French-speaking countries. The other big difference is that classic eau de cologne can smell slightly antiseptic and clinical but Mugler Cologne, due to the soft musk in its base notes and the mysterious S-note, smells more of humanity. Clean humanity, to be sure. If an eau de cologne can be sexy, this one it it. This an amazingly versatile fragrance especially good for warm weather and warm climates, about as far from Mugler's other fragrances as it is possible to be! The grooming products are excellent.
29th September, 2017
Fresh, soapy and clean. Not something I would wear to the office or to dinner, but great for a weekend of running errands. This is on the opposite spectrum of what you'd expect from A*Men and its recognizable DNA. Still glad to have this as part of my collection, especially at the price I got it ($38 for large spray and shower gel gift set).
09th August, 2017
Very versatile, clean and fresh. Really good vetiver and neroli scent that is crowd-pleasing and easy to wear and enjoy in many temps and different events.

Projection is good and longevity is even better on me. Still going after 8 hours. It's EdT strength so don't worry about the Cologne name.
02nd July, 2017
This reminds me of the citrussy vetiver sweetish cologne smell that wafts around warm places, and it's said to be based on a hotel soap from Morocco, which I can well believe. One of the first things that hits me when I land in warm places like Spain or Morocco is the smell of cologne rather than perfume everywhere you go. Here in Ireland I smell more traditionally feminine perfumes on the streets, but in Spain it's cologne, often sold in huge bottles in Spanish supermarkets and shops, and there's nothing more refreshing that splashing some from a bottle in the fridge when you crawl in after working on a hot day.

MC opens sweetly citrus with quite a bit of orange (neroli and petitgrain) rather than lemon, more Moroccan than French, and less 'flinty' than some of the sharper colognes I love. It is almost a generic clean smell but has a slightly quirky personality of its own which lifts it out, gives it depth, and makes it very attractive, particularly once some nice juicy vetiver kicks in. I've read reviews talking about a steam or barbershop quality, but for me I get something of that slightly chemical whiff of clean that you find in laundry/dry cleaner shops, where something from the dry cleaning fluid or indeed from steam generated by the process adds an edge to the sweet citrus, herby, musky laundry smells.

I like it very much but can find the neroli a little too sweet at times, but it always feels summery and I enjoy it on hot days or indeed in winter to remind me of warm places.
26th May, 2017
A great, green herbal scent that simply doesn't last long(not just on me, as is evident in the reviews!).
Slightly reminiscent of 4711 and others in that genre.

29th December, 2016
It's lucky it's getting a neutral from me. I get it, it's based off of a soap. That doesn't mean it has to have the longevity of it! Two sprays gets you nowhere with this (I usually stick to one), and I doubt adding more would help. I'm extremely disappointed in this regard.

That being said, it is a nice scent. I smell pickles at first (weird, I know), but within a minute I get the soap. It's a really nice, sour citrus, though it reminds me of Irish Spring in the dry down.

I can't recommend it simply because the price and longevity don't match up. If they can come out with a higher concentration version, then I'll consider grabbing it again.
20th December, 2016