Mugler Cologne (2001)

HouseThierry Mugler
PerfumerAlberto Morillas
Parent CompanyGroupe Clarins

About Mugler Cologne

Inspired by the clean fresh scent of a soap from Mugler's childhood, Cologne was designed to appeal to people who don't really like fragrance!
Cologne draws on the tradition of early colognes, it is fresh and citrus-sy and is the olfactory opposite of the distinctive scent of Angel.
The scent contains a mystery ingredient, only known as 'S'... maybe it's Sausage?, Salmon?, Soap?, Selotape?.. or maybe its 'S-Perfume' all over again!
The bath line includes a scent free natural crystalline alum stone deodorant, which lasts an age, and you can add your own fragrance too.

Mugler Cologne fragrance notes

Reviews of Mugler Cologne

This reminds me of the citrussy vetiver sweetish cologne smell that wafts around warm places, and it's said to be based on a hotel soap from Morocco, which I can well believe. One of the first things that hits me when I land in warm places like Spain or Morocco is the smell of cologne rather than perfume everywhere you go. Here in Ireland I smell more traditionally feminine perfumes on the streets, but in Spain it's cologne, often sold in huge bottles in Spanish supermarkets and shops, and there's nothing more refreshing that splashing some from a bottle in the fridge when you crawl in after working on a hot day.

MC opens sweetly citrus with quite a bit of orange (neroli and petitgrain) rather than lemon, more Moroccan than French, and less 'flinty' than some of the sharper colognes I love. It is almost a generic clean smell but has a slightly quirky personality of its own which lifts it out, gives it depth, and makes it very attractive, particularly once some nice juicy vetiver kicks in. I've read reviews talking about a steam or barbershop quality, but for me I get something of that slightly chemical whiff of clean that you find in laundry/dry cleaner shops, where something from the dry cleaning fluid or indeed from steam generated by the process adds an edge to the sweet citrus, herby, musky laundry smells.

I like it very much but can find the neroli a little too sweet at times, but it always feels summery and I enjoy it on hot days or indeed in winter to remind me of warm places.
26th May, 2017
A great, green herbal scent that simply doesn't last long(not just on me, as is evident in the reviews!).
Slightly reminiscent of 4711 and others in that genre.

29th December, 2016
It's lucky it's getting a neutral from me. I get it, it's based off of a soap. That doesn't mean it has to have the longevity of it! Two sprays gets you nowhere with this (I usually stick to one), and I doubt adding more would help. I'm extremely disappointed in this regard.

That being said, it is a nice scent. I smell pickles at first (weird, I know), but within a minute I get the soap. It's a really nice, sour citrus, though it reminds me of Irish Spring in the dry down.

I can't recommend it simply because the price and longevity don't match up. If they can come out with a higher concentration version, then I'll consider grabbing it again.
20th December, 2016
Mugler Cologne is one of my favorites. It is clean, smells great, and is fresh. The only downside is that on my skin it only lasts 4 hours. If only they made this frag in an EDT or EDP.

Overall: 8.5/10
Longevity: 4/10
Sillage: 3/10
14th August, 2016
It is a blind buy with high hope after reading so many good reviews. But I am quite disappointed with its longevity and projection. The fresh scent lasts about 10 minutes on my skin and then it turns to soapy after shower scent. It is nice, but thats all, nothing special. And this soft fresh skin scent fades away in about 2 hours. Its really not worth the money.
13th July, 2016
Well as per Cologne it's great. Nice Scent, not to fruity yet Fresh. I am a Thierry Mugler fan and Longevity is not the best but Surely not disappointing.
14th June, 2016