Comme des Garçons White (1995)
by Comme des Garçons

Comme des Garçons White information

Year of Launch1995

HouseComme des Garçons
PerfumerMark Buxton
PackagingRei Kawakubo
PackagingMarc Atlan

About Comme des Garçons White

Comme des Garçons White is a shared / unisex perfume by Comme des Garçons. The scent was launched in 1995 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Mark Buxton. The bottle was designed by Marc Atlan and Rei Kawakubo

Reviews of Comme des Garçons White

In the opening I get rich woods, mainly cedar, with a touch of what smells to me like citrus, but I'm guessing must be the pomegranate note. As the fragrance unfolds, I detect herbal/spicy notes of coriander, pepper, nutmeg & clove, followed by a spicy rose in the heart. Ninety minutes in, it all dies down to a low hum of peppery woods, although I do get a whiff of lily of the valley, & later there's cinnamon in the base, fading out at around the seven hour mark.
Those first ninety minutes are pleasantly autumnal, smelling more golden-brown than white to me. After this, however, the fragrance seems to collapse in on itself, leaving me somewhat underwhelmed in the end.
02nd December, 2016
Now, this is my kind of fragrance! A spicy rose that is modern and masculine. It projects at medium level and lasts for quite a long time. It obviously blends the spices well, but cloves seem to be most prominent which gives it a bit of a carnation feel.

The rose itself is not very prominent, but it comes to the fore at times, and it goes very well the spices.

This fragrance works well in hot weather when you want to wear something exotic. It is unisex, though I think of it as more of a fragrance for males due to the dry rose and spices.
13th January, 2013
Another Comme Des Garcons I've been using for quite a while in the past. An extremely exotic concoction of cinnamon, other spices (a lot of) on a woody/floral/fruity base. The whole fragrance has the typical CDG's incensey signature, but here it's drastically toned down to intentionally become barely perceptible. It's more like an overall vibe than a real note/accord.

Intense, important and very very (very) distinctive. One of the best and most influential compositions by Mr Buxton. A personal favorite!
24th August, 2011
This one surprised me. Having grown a little bored of Comme des Garcons recently, I'd never gotten around to actually trying White. Slightly hungover one morning, I wanted something light and cool so I thought I'd give this a chance. I'm so happy I did! To my nose, this starts out like dry woods soaked in white wine. My wife says it smells like curry. I didn't get that at all at first. Soon, cinnamon follows and then the rose arrives. The woods in the drydown blend in perfectly. A really pleasant surprise - A beautiful, wonderfully made fragrance.
21st August, 2009
Peppery, minty, airy, spicy, rosy. Mostly cinnamon and florals with a cool sandalwood and vetiver drydown. Excellent.
14th December, 2008
A saleswoman handed me a bottle of White when I told her I was looking for something reminiscent of clove cigarettes. After sampling it, this struck me as a fairly close approximation. The clove is definitely present, along with some scents I associate with India, (sandalwood and cumin perhaps?) However, the smoky, boozy aspect of a clove cig is not present in White. Also, the sweetness factor was totally different. A clove cigarette has a subtle sweetness, the kind you might find in a fruit curry. White is sweet in a more synthetic, soda-pop way, which seems exactly how CdG might be inclined to interpret a pomegranate.

I can’t fault this fragrance for not being a fancy cigarette (as that is not at all its intention,) and I respect CdG’s attempt to create an oriental that is light, modern, and cool. Still, I can’t shake the feeling that this fragrance smells just a bit cheap.
23rd August, 2008