Cool Water (1988)

PackagingPeter Schmidt
Parent CompanyBenckiser > Coty Inc > Coty Prestige
Parent Company at launchBeecham Cosmetics > Lancaster Group

About Cool Water

One of the best selling fragrances ever. This fragrance along with Eternity by Calvin Klein, sparked a reinterest in the fresh fougere market. A Cool Water for women was launched in 1997.

Cool Water fragrance notes

Reviews of Cool Water

I loved this cologne in middle school. But then again, I didn't no jack about cologne back then. All I knew was that it smelled completely different from what my dad wore, so Cool Water was essentially cologne for my generation (even though it came out in 1988).

Poppinj's review is pretty on the nose. At the time, Cool Water sent everything that came before it to the old folks home. But now, despite Cool Water still having a "freshness" to it, you see older guys occasionally wearing it because that's what they wore when they were young.

What makes it bad for me, is that I wore this in middle school, and it was so popular that I find it almost repulsive now. Which is weird because it's a nice scent that I can appreciate when getting a sample in Macy's. But if I smell it today on people, or even on myself, it's like getting dog piled by bad memories.

If you're somehow not familiar with Cool Water, I think you'll love it. However, how can you not be familiar with it?

18th September, 2017
Sniffed this in passing at a perfume store earlier. It's probably a very great frag, but unfortunately for that sales lady, I'm a proud owner of Creed GIT and although I can understand the comparison, this just doesn't even come close to GIT in terms of quality and sophistication. It comes off as cheap, synthetic, and kitchen cleaner -esque to my nose. Call me a pretentious Creed fanboy if you want, I just really wasn't impressed by this.
22nd August, 2017 (last edited: 07th September, 2017)
When I smell a frgrance I'm immediately transported back to that time and the memories they invoke. I was introduced to Cool Water while living on the Gulf Coast around 1992. My friend had it and one day before going to the beach I spritzed some on. The love affair was instant!!! It smells like the name. It has that seabreeze scent too it, open,airy, fresh and clean.
Unlike the powerhouse fragrances of the 80's this was the first in the aquatic frangrances for me. It's like walking on the beach on a sunny day with a good breeze coming in off the water. I recently purchased a bottle again about a year ago and wear it on occasion. It's one of those fragrances that get better the longer it is on. At application you get that blast of the top notes of lavender and peppermint mixed with the jasmine and hint of rosemary. It slowly evolves with the sandalwood and musk notes coming forward as the floral notes go into the background. It's one of those fragrances that are not overbearing even if over applied as many guys tend to do with frangrances. The sillage is respectable enough to catch ones attention but not to the point your a walking room freshener. I'd like to say it's very alluring as in the situations I've smelled it on others made me want to get closer. Ironic thing is I've had a couple friends in my life and the mere mention of this fragrance they ran out and bought it just to wear around me. It was like a silent communicator of their feelings and both very rarely wore colognes. Like them saying you told me you like this stuff now come and get me sort a thing.
This is a great fragrance to wear in the summer or any situation where your going to be warm and work up a sweat. Working outside, the gym, at a barbecue or the beach. It really stands up well to one sweating where it doesn't mix with the sweat to become some horrible abomination like some fragrances can. It just keeps you smelling clean and really does have good staying power.
16th May, 2017
A somewhat "clean" scent straight from the '80s, sadly overused today but still very enjoyable in his freshness.

Today is a very affordable fragrance (online, not in stores) and thus very recommendable.
Probably one of the fragrances that someone should always have in his arsenal.

It's a shame that this is the last really good scent still on sale from Davidoff.
19th March, 2017
I remember when in the late 1980's a new breed of men's fragrances were emerging. Aromatic aquatic fresh fougeres (AAFF) were led by New West, Cool Water and Eternity.

With this new class of fragrances, all of the previous traditional men's 80's powerhouse scents were considered old, heavy and suddenly out of style. The effect of these AAFF scents continues to this day and have been rigorously copied and campaigned by virtually every designer and fragrance house on this planet. Almost to the point of overkill in my opinion.

The extremely gifted Pierre Bourdon was the nose responsible for Cool Water. Just amazing that only seven years earlier he was also the creator of that 80's powerhouse Kouros; another fragrance the defined the earlier portion of that decade.

I like Cool Water but I'm also reminded that every guy back in the late 1980's and early 1990's wore this one to death, hence the neutral rating. Along with Eternity, you could not go anywhere in public without inhaling this from a stranger in a contained space. The subways, airports, malls, clubs and bars reeked of these AAFF variations for years to follow. It's almost as if in one fell "SWOOP", the dominance of New West/Cool Water/Eternity killed everything in its path between the years of 1988-1996. Gone were the heavy exotic creations like Patou pour Homme, Jean Desprez Versailles, Derby by Guerlain as manufacturers and fragrance houses rushed to join the AAFF bandwagon.

It's been mentioned numerous times by Basenotes reviewers that Cool Water is an "older guys scent", or perhaps what your "Uncle, Dad or Grand-Dad" wears. This makes me laugh, as perhaps all those "Club Kids" who wore Cool Water/Eternity back in the late 80's and 90's are now settled down with families and they are still sporting the same scent, refusing to let go.....
16th February, 2017
Every fraghead needs to own this. It's a wonderful scent and yes, everyone knows what it is and smells like, but that doesn't make it bad. It's actually a top notch juice. It lasts all day and ages very well. I have two bottles that are 10 years old and still smell the way the did when they were new.
30th August, 2016