Cool Water (1988)

PackagingPeter Schmidt
Parent CompanyBenckiser > Coty Inc > Coty Prestige
Parent Company at launchBeecham Cosmetics > Lancaster Group

About Cool Water

One of the best selling fragrances ever. This fragrance along with Eternity by Calvin Klein, sparked a reinterest in the fresh fougere market. A Cool Water for women was launched in 1997.

Cool Water fragrance notes

Reviews of Cool Water

Fond memories of this one. Back in the mid 90's when I first started wearing it I thought was the business. Women loved it and it was instantly recognizable. I tried it recently and of course it doesn't hold the same appeal at 40 years of age as it did when I was 19. Saying that.....If you are 16 - 18 and looking to get into fragrances you could do a lot worse than Cool Water. It actually beats some of the new cheaper releases nowadays. Gotta give it the thumbs up!!!
29th November, 2017
Get it. I get compliments all the time, good sillage, and decent longevity. If youre not a perfumist, you'd have a hard time telling this from one of the greatest fragrances of all time, Green Irish Tweed. For $30, even for $60, I'd buy this every time. I always have some! Great for summer, and once it dries down, great for night as it's just a classy, somewhat mysterious scent. Love it!
08th November, 2017
Poppinj's review is pretty on the nose. At the time, Cool Water sent everything that came before it to the old folks home. But now, despite Cool Water still having a "freshness" to it, it not longer feels new.

Supposedly this has quite a bit of Dihydromyrcenol in it. I guess that's why it attacks my sense of smell so sharply, and gives me a headache.
This is a wonderfully unique style of fragrance (if you don't count GIT), but it's far too sharp for me to enjoy it.
I think it's something to be enjoyed in the context of the era it came out. It was a great response to the typical men's fragrances at the time: Polo, Quorum, Drakkar Noir, etc.
Today though? It's like it's trying to beat you over the head with how fresh and water-like it is. It's an overly strong aquatic.
18th September, 2017 (last edited: 07th October, 2017)
Sniffed this in passing at a perfume store earlier. It's probably a very great frag, but unfortunately for that sales lady, I'm a proud owner of Creed GIT and although I can understand the comparison, this just doesn't even come close to GIT in terms of quality and sophistication. It comes off as cheap, synthetic, and kitchen cleaner -esque to my nose. Call me a pretentious Creed fanboy if you want, I just really wasn't impressed by this.
22nd August, 2017 (last edited: 07th September, 2017)
When I smell a frgrance I'm immediately transported back to that time and the memories they invoke. I was introduced to Cool Water while living on the Gulf Coast around 1992. My friend had it and one day before going to the beach I spritzed some on. The love affair was instant!!! It smells like the name. It has that seabreeze scent too it, open,airy, fresh and clean.
Unlike the powerhouse fragrances of the 80's this was the first in the aquatic frangrances for me. It's like walking on the beach on a sunny day with a good breeze coming in off the water. I recently purchased a bottle again about a year ago and wear it on occasion. It's one of those fragrances that get better the longer it is on. At application you get that blast of the top notes of lavender and peppermint mixed with the jasmine and hint of rosemary. It slowly evolves with the sandalwood and musk notes coming forward as the floral notes go into the background. It's one of those fragrances that are not overbearing even if over applied as many guys tend to do with frangrances. The sillage is respectable enough to catch ones attention but not to the point your a walking room freshener. I'd like to say it's very alluring as in the situations I've smelled it on others made me want to get closer. Ironic thing is I've had a couple friends in my life and the mere mention of this fragrance they ran out and bought it just to wear around me. It was like a silent communicator of their feelings and both very rarely wore colognes. Like them saying you told me you like this stuff now come and get me sort a thing.
This is a great fragrance to wear in the summer or any situation where your going to be warm and work up a sweat. Working outside, the gym, at a barbecue or the beach. It really stands up well to one sweating where it doesn't mix with the sweat to become some horrible abomination like some fragrances can. It just keeps you smelling clean and really does have good staying power.
16th May, 2017
A somewhat "clean" scent straight from the '80s, sadly overused today but still very enjoyable in his freshness.

Today is a very affordable fragrance (online, not in stores) and thus very recommendable.
Probably one of the fragrances that someone should always have in his arsenal.

It's a shame that this is the last really good scent still on sale from Davidoff.
19th March, 2017