Cool Water (1988)

PackagingPeter Schmidt
Parent CompanyBenckiser > Coty Inc > Coty Prestige
Parent Company at launchBeecham Cosmetics > Lancaster Group

About Cool Water

One of the best selling fragrances ever. This fragrance along with Eternity by Calvin Klein, sparked a reinterest in the fresh fougere market. A Cool Water for Women was launched in 1997.

Cool Water fragrance notes

Reviews of Cool Water

I don't think anybody who is familiar with fragrances at all doesn't know what Cool Water smells like. It is just part of the human DNA now. Clean and powdery. Modern fougere. Will be recognizable to most, and will seem a bit low class because of its prior ubiquity, and its immediately recognizable profile. It is a good fragrance. Usable anywhere anytime.
07th September, 2019
Cool Water wasn’t the first aquatic on the scene but it was the first to make it big. And to find out why, we can compare it with Pierre Cardin’s Bleu Marine which came out a couple of years earlier.

Bleu Marine was basically a fougère touched up with salty-aquatic and tree fruit nuances. In 1986 the aquatic had hardly been born and this was all very new; little surprise then that the aquatic element in Bleu Marine was rather tentative.

Although Cool Water's message was very similar, it delivered it in a much bolder and legible way. Here the salty-aquatic and tree fruits are pushed right to the fore, and the fougère sits at the back. It's as though they are both saying the same thing but Blue Marine is talking out of the back of its head.

Cool Water was a winner; not because it was a novelty, but because it was on trend, daring, and spoke with perfect diction.

*****
20th August, 2019
I cannot believe that this monstrosity and Eternity are the top 2 best selling Men's perfumes of all time...

I never smelled this back in the day when it had debuted, maybe because I was only 7 and better that I hadn't because now, now that my nose is honed to a razor from decades of smelling good scents and horrible scents, my God this is absolutely disgusting. I would hate to wear this. I did a sample spritz on my arm and couldn't even hack a whole hour. This hurts my mucous membranes.

After 10 minutes this goes directly into an overpoweringly strong, metallic, aquatic musky think that reminds me 'strongly' of Animale for Men. Not Animale Animale, 'Animale'.

This just goes to show that the majority of humans don't know shit about a proper perfume because it is far beyond my comprehension how this nasty chemical soup is still a best seller.

By the way, the flacon that I had picked up is from Lancaster with the cursive writing on the front.
03rd August, 2019
When I spray this, I wonder if my olfactory system is incorrectly wired. To me, it smells entirely unlike the usual descriptions. I don't find it even remotely "fresh" (citrus, lavender, herbs, marine...): rather, it's almost immediately sweet (amber? musk?) and vaguely spicy (coriander? sandalwood?). It's not unpleasant. But it's definitely not "fresh" to me. Maybe my nose is broke.
27th June, 2019
This rating is for the vintage, original Script-Logo version.

I had the original in 1988, and outstanding memories of it. To me, it always smelled slightly different, but complex, depending on the day, weather, etc. I only recently rekindled my interest in fragrances. So I got a bottle of the current issue and tried it--nothing like I remembered...it smelled mostly like Windex. I wondered what happened? A little research led me down the path of the IFRA regulations, and the supposition and general consensus that CW was ruined by reformulation.

I tried to buy a vintage bottle from eBay, but the first one that I got was a fraud--smelled rotten, not even a nice Windex smell, lol. I returned that and did more research. The vintage bottles are the ones where both "Davidoff" and "Cool Water" are in a script font (like an original MXR Phase 90 if you are a guitarist)...found one from a reliable seller, and cracked it open....

And there it was, the memories of being at the beach or always wanting to be there, the lavender, the complexity, the slightly-different each day morphing of the scent, of a nicer time, when things made more sense and there was a world of possibilities. Yes, I paid a bit too much, but it was like a time machine in a bottle, and it reminded me that I still have roads and beaches left ahead of me and the drive to make things happen. Too much to expect of a fragrance? It's the power of olfactory nostalgia. That's what I paid for, and why it's the number-one-of-all-time item in my fragrance collection. It makes me happy, and I am glad to have it back. I missed it...and only the real thing would do. It reminds me of who I am. The current version is nothing like the original, and the original is amazing--just be aware of the difference.
12th June, 2019
What can I say about Cool Water that hasn't already been said?

Let me get a few things out of the way, first. This actually came out (1988) after Green Irish Tweed by Creed (1985). It's just that most people hadn't heard of GIT due to its extreme price tag and limited availability, and the fact that Cool Water was nothing short of being rife among the general public when it was released. I bring this up because Cool Water is often compared to Green Irish Tweed, and there are definite similarities. This is most likely due to the fact that Pierre Bourdon was perfumer on both scents, so you're not getting a "cheaper" version or "ripoff" of Green Irish Tweed, so much as you're getting a variation of it.

I'm biased in my review of this as I associate this fragrance with the time that it came out and for the unfortunate fact that when I was in high school, Cool Water became the alternative for a shower after gym class, or for some people, bathing in general. When I smell Cool Water, I inevitably brace myself for the base notes of armpit sweat and BO that I for so long associated with this fragrance. It is what it is, and I doubt I'll ever be able to break the association.

That said, Cool Water is the grandaddy of aquatics (though this is a fougere), as this is really the first scent I can think of that legitimately smells like a take on water. This is a daytime scent that works well during the spring/summer and is safe enough to be worn anywhere. This is the true definition of a dumb-grab. It paved the way for hundreds of derivative scents and on its own merits, it's hard to dislike. Of course, if you remember the times when people seemed to essentially delouse themselves in this stuff (along with Drakkar Noir (1982) and Eternity for Men (1989)), it may skew your ability to have total fondness for it. When thinking about this scent in an agnostic way, focusing strictly on its physical qualities, it's hard not to like it.

If you're looking for a good warm weather workhorse, pick up a bottle. It's inexpensive and you can find it anywhere. If you suffer the illness that many people here -- myself included -- have that causes you to collect bottle after bottle of fragrance, you should buy this and have it just for the sake of reference alone. It is an icon, a legend -- slice it however you want -- and it's earned its fame and stature. Thumbs up, without hesitation.
29th May, 2019

Add your review of Cool Water

Shop for Cool Water products online

Shop for Cool Water at online perfumeries

Cool Water Frozen For Women EDT Spray 3.4 Oz. By Davidoff.

End Date: Sunday Dec-8-2019 8:43:03 PST

COOLWATER SEA ROSE PACIFIC SUMMER 3.4 EDT SP FOR WOMEN

End Date: Sunday Dec-8-2019 9:14:03 PST
Buy It Now for only: $17.22
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

DAVIDOFF- COOL WATER- EDT SPRAY- 2.5 FL OZ- NEW UNSEALED (Y48)

End Date: Sunday Dec-8-2019 9:17:38 PST

DAVIDOFF COOL WATER SUMMER DIVE LIMITED EDITION EDT 4.2 OZ

End Date: Sunday Dec-8-2019 9:45:50 PST
Buy It Now for only: $54.95
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Cool Water Deep By Davdoff After Shave Lotion 3.4 oz/100 ml- Unboxed for Men New

End Date: Sunday Dec-8-2019 9:47:05 PST