Coriolan (1998)

PerfumerJean Paul Guerlain
PackagingRobert Granai
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Coriolan

Named after the 5th century Roman General, Gaius Marcus Coriolanus (who inspired the Shakespeare play Coriolanus).
The bottle is also based on a soldier image. It is a chypre fragrance and contains dominant notes of Lemon tree leaves, Juniper Berries and Everlasting Flower. Sadly, no longer available, but reorchestrated and relaunched as L'Ame d'un Héros in 2008.

Coriolan fragrance notes

Reviews of Coriolan

This herbal beauty,
Guerlain's lost rustic charmer,
Honored by Hommeage.
20th December, 2017
Coriolan was my signature scent (along with Le 3e Homme de Caron) for many years. I rarely wear it anymore since it’s discontinued and my stock is getting low.

Although listed as a chypre, I’ve always likened Coriolan as more of an aromatic fougere. It is a subtle, refined, elegant fragrance along the lines of Chanel Pour Homme Concentre and Tiffany For Men.
Most suited for business and formal wear;
It never fails to draw compliments from those surrounding you.

Of particular note; the original bottle is absolutely fantastic and I’m sure Guerlain spent a fortune on production and packaging.
30th November, 2017
Stardate 20170802:

A manly fougere of yesteryears. Immortelle adds a certain twist to it that makes it a bit different than traditional fougere.
Recommended
02nd August, 2017
Coriolan is notable for its development. As the top notes fade, a beautiful mid emerges. I'm slightly conflicted about it, as if it has an ingredient I don't really like, more prominent in the opening, that is overcome by other ingredients I love, more prominent in the mid and base. The overall effect is impressive, a beautiful, captivating smell, definitely something I would feel confident wearing routinely in the office; a smell that I think would grow on me more over time, and would grow on the people around me; a distinctive smell that would be memorable and recognizable, a signature-scent type of fragrance.
28th October, 2016
The floral ingredient immortelle, or "everlasting flower" burst upon the perfume scene in 1985 with Goutal's Sables. However, it did have a limited presence as early as the 1940s - Milot's Insolence contains it.

Immortelle is identical to the Indian cooking spice, fenugreek, sweet and pungent, and has been used sicne the 1980s with more frequency in scents for both men and women.

I have a small decant from the failed 1998 Guerlain men's scent, Coriolan and with age this smells to my nose like an immortelle soliflore. I get no other notes, just immortelle. It's as strong as Sables and like all Guerlains, rich in oils. As I loved Sables, I think Coriolan is a fine version for men.

Not a complex scent by any means, but if you like fenugreek, you will love Coriolan.
26th March, 2016
When Coriolan was released, the concerns were that it was already dated given it was 15 years in the making.

I was fortunate to chance upon 2 50ml bottles of this gem at a local fragrance store and was hesitant cause I am personally not a big fougere fan (am not crazy for oakmoss but appreciate it in small doses). So having read Colin's review previously, I hesitated for almost 2 months before deciding to make the purchase (and am happy that the 2 bottles were still there - the benefits of a nondescript small local store).

Onto the scent, I would say it's timeless and regal... Definitely nuanced but very delightful. Opens with bright lemon/neroli/bergamot and develops a mossy leather vibe. Coriolan reminds me of vintage Eau Sauvage in feel even although there are only a few similar notes (Lemon, Bergamot, Oakmoss, Patchouli and Vetiver). I like Coriolan better than vintage Eau Sauvage though.

It's a shame that this is discontinued, as I think it's a good refined scent.
19th July, 2015

Add your review of Coriolan

Shop for Coriolan products online

Shop for Coriolan at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Coriolan

Member images of Coriolan

There are no member images of Coriolan yet. Why not be the first?