Déclaration (1998)

Year of Launch1998

HouseCartier
PerfumerJean-Claude Ellena

About Déclaration

This woody creation from Cartier was created (apparently) for "Men in Love... Experiencing Passion!" It doesn't say whether by wearing it you get to experience passion! Worth a try though!

Déclaration fragrance notes

Reviews of Déclaration

I hadn't appreciated this classy scent for many years; it was too rich and woody for my tastes.

But after a decade or so, I have come around to appreciating Cartier's Déclaration. It isn't for everyone, with its lush floral and woody character suited for formal occasions and older wearers. It is a polarizing scent, a love it or hate it fragrance that needs to be sampled before one makes up his (or her) mind about it.

Great living legend of a scent that is worth checking out for the serious collector.
17th February, 2017
This starts off really nice, clean, cool and sophisticated. The impression I get is "green citrus" but unfortunately when it settles I get a mostly floral note, maybe a hint of vetiver but it is really weak. The sillage is okay and the longevity is about average.
27th January, 2017
A semi fresh and heavy spicy fragrance with lots of characters that smells formal and dandy.
Right at the start I can smell a fresh and bitter citrusy scent that while it’s fresh, it has a noticeable warmth quality from lots of spices and a mellow green, clean and kind of soapy aura in the background and there are easy to detect floral notes right beside them. when I say floral notes do not freak out! I can’t point at any particular flower but I will guarantee that they are not pretty and fluffy ones that remind you of women fragrances. they do smell very rough, wild and manly. it’s a classic scent but at the same time with a modern twist and you can feel Jean-Claude Ellena’s signature all over it.

As time goes by and in the mid that fresh citrusy smell goes in the background but the bitterness of the orange peel remains while scent gets warmer, sweeter and kind of waxy/creamy. that easy to detect spicy aura is still there specially nutmeg and cardamom plus a mellow earthy feel from vetiver and those lovely and kind of exotic floral notes in the background!

In the base scent didn’t change that much. everything just starts to mellow down and get smoother but the earthy feel gets a little stronger also scent gets slightly smoky and woody with kind of an oily feel and less spicy.

Projection is above average and longevity is around 4-5 hours on the skin. it’s not a hot weather fragrance so please don’t use it in the summer! in my opinion this is a perfect fragrance for fall. when I’m smelling this it’s like fall is written all over it and also it’s a formal scent. I can’t imagine someone wearing this with sweatshirt and jeans!
If you like Terre D'Hermes check this one out but don't blind buy it. it's even more daring than Terre D'Hermes!
18th November, 2016
Every time I come across this, the same image flits across my mind; one I can't mention for fear of giving offense. So I'll keep it short: not for me. The cumin just makes it unwearable. Even worse, unlike 99% of other scents out there, I can't even imagine anyone else liking it, which clearly they do.

Declaration of love? More like declaration of war.
02nd June, 2016
This smells very much like Terre d'Hermes, which I truly dislike, but this one is a step above it in my opinion and deserves a Neutral rating because unlike the former, Declaration feels like a more complete fragrance, though still not one I find particularly pleasant. It may just be my nose but I also don't detect the Iso E blast that Terre d'Hermes depends on. Overall, while this isn't unpleasant and barren like its younger brother, it is still not something I will ever reach for.
28th May, 2016
There's something about Declaration that has always reminded me of my grandfather. It's nothing but good memories but I can't say my grandfather ever wore cologne and I highly doubt he did considering he was a simple man and a tabaco farmer. And yet, Declaration will always remind me of him.

Here's the tricky part, there was always some sort of fear on my part when it came to wearing Declaration in public. I didn't feel confident until 5 years later after initial purchase. Declaration is amazing. I hate that it took me so long to finally appreciate this gem.

Some people compare Declaration to TdH but there is no comparison in my opinion, considering Declaration is wonderful and TdH is nothing more than a clone of an orange cleansing solution. Skip TdH and go for Cartier.
28th May, 2016

Add your review of Déclaration

Shop for Déclaration products online

Shop for Déclaration at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Déclaration

Member images of Déclaration

There are no member images of Déclaration yet. Why not be the first?