Basenotes needs your help!

If you have found this site valuable, useful or entertaining, would you be willing to support us? Our current goal is to upgrade our ageing forum system and bring it to the modern age! Find out More here

Derby (1985)

PackagingRobert Granai
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton
Parent Company at launchGuerlain

About Derby

Reissued in 2005 for the renovated flagship Guerlain store on the Champs-Elysees.

Derby fragrance notes

Reviews of Derby

As expected of Guerlain, Derby is made with quality ingredients. Beyond that, I don't understand why this fragrance is so universally loved. It doesn't blend with your body chemistry, so it will smell the same on everyone. It has a thick, cloying-sweet harshness to, similar to Poison (remember that one?!). I admit that I hate rose, and this has a significant dose of that, so that may color my review. Overall, though, it strikes me as a kitchen-sink kind of blend, with too many elements battling. One part "old man" cologne, one part open-shirt-with-a-male-symbol - it just doesn't work for me. Heritage and several other Guerlains are among my favorites (not Habit Rouge, though, LOTS of rose), so choose wisely.
28th February, 2018

Derby's existence
Not truly violating
Perfume's second law

The first being that
Truth is conserved, the second
That beauty must fade

Seen more beautif'lly
Through Coco's eye: Style remains
While fashion passes

Never truly loved
By the masses, its motion
Never up nor down

Perpetually
Hiding short dinosaur days
From long scrutiny

By some solar cell
Hidden from the accountants
Midst our fragrant love

A toast to Derby
One day to depart from us
Always remembered

In some better place
Truth and beauty both conserved
By rules above ours.
10th December, 2017
When I have the time, I treat myself to a straight razor shave. Following it up with Clubman after shave has always felt like being pampered in an old-fashioned barber shop.

Derby (I have the reformulated version) takes that pampered, nostalgic feeling to a whole new level. It's what Clubman wishes it was. Citrusy sweet, powdery, and leathery, it's already one of my favorite scents, and works well with my body chemistry. The 5 ml decant I got won't last long, so I hope I can find a full bottle at a good price soon!
19th August, 2017
Stardate 20170619:

A great masculine of bygone era. A very well blended fragrance and I had tough time picking up notes. Hot spice, artemesia, floral notes (rose perhaps) and leather.
But it is not the individual notes that make this great but their interplay with one another

Reformulation has been kind to it and this is often available for a substantial discount online. Look for it and snap it up.
19th June, 2017
Quite happy with this classic! I get a little bit of vetiver, some floral here and there, and a hint of leather as it goes on. However at the same time it's also clean and soapy somehow.

Took me a while to find it but I'm glad I found a split on this forum so I could add it to the collection.
16th March, 2017