Derrick (1978)

Parent Company at launchNorton Simon > Max Factor

About Derrick

Derrick is a masculine fragrance by Orlane. The scent was launched in 1978

Reviews of Derrick

A spicy manly jus, reminiscent of Krizia Uomo but with a side of latex. I am sure it isn't actually latex but I pick up a latex note in some fragrances and this is one of them. Overall a pretty nice spicy scent.
27th January, 2014
An "old school" spicy/soapy scent. A bit like Red by GBH but not as well blended. It's a little "rough round the edges" The bottle looks like a land rover petrol can!!! But it was cheap and I quite like Derrick.
18th March, 2013 (last edited: 23rd March, 2013)
shamu1 Show all reviews
Derrick smells like a poor man's JHL. Foetidus wasn't kidding when he wrote that this is a pure spice fragrance, and nothing but spices. Cinnamon, clove, wood, carnation, patchouli, vetiver, cumin and oakmoss all seem to be in here, providing sandpaper-like texture and overall feel. It's not the strongest fragrance in the world, which is a good thing because if it were your nose wood bleed.

Derrick comes from the 1970s school of power scents - ultra woody, spicy, dry and bold, but without the TNT-like power and sillage of the later fragrances in the 80's. It does smell dated, and anyone who wears Seventies styled masculines will recognize this immediately as a member of that club.

My only complaint is that it's not particularly well blended. This is a crude, rough and linear scent, and it can sometimes get tiresome to wear. It smells dark, austere, and unsmiling, but it lacks the complexity and quality of a Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme. I like Derrick, but it's not something I'll be reaching for very often. Sillage and longevity are good.

MY RATING: 7/10
31st March, 2011
Derrick is an interesting fragrance Ė quite unusual. It seems like a very serious scent: there seems to be no sweet in it. I certainly canít find any florals in it. It is almost 100% spice and woods and moss. Iím surprised that a designer or mainstream fragrance would be this dry and (smelled close) dark, even in 1978. Besides its spiciness and woods, there isnít much else to it. The spices Ė cinnamon, pepper, clove, ginger, nutmeg, and coriander Ė form a unified pungency the individual notes of which, I canít separate out except for the cloves. The baseís patchouli, sandalwood, and oakmoss form a dry, light, textured background through the run of the fragrance. MisterK makes a reference to amber, but I canít find it, although I donít doubt that it is there: They couldnít make a fragrance with no sweet notes, could they? Derrick is an odd fragrance that I give a thumbís up simply because it is so unique. Itís quite a linear scent and it has less than average longevity (itís an EDC). But what I find makes it unusual is that, sniffed near the skin, it smells deep and dark and dry, but its sillage is not at all strong. Derrick strikes me as being very light. Since itís so inexpensive, Iím going to buy a bottle just in case I will someday want to wear a light, dry, masculine, fragrance like this. I havenít seen another one like it.
14th March, 2008
Im glad I bought this as a blind buy almost a year ago ,, Its sweetness is mild and hidden deep in its makeup of spices ,, I wear it in rotation with and find it interesting ,, 4/5
28th November, 2007
Maybe it was and it is still cheap, but the fragrance is very nice. It can remind some of you Jovan Sex Appeal or Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur, but I think that Derrick is much more better than both of them. Jovan has more of Vanilia and PC has more of carnation to me, but Derrick has a little bit spicy and rosy scent which makes it very suitable for evening use or for a romantic occasion. I first received it as a gift from my mom in 1986 as a romantic fragrance, but being as young man a "romatic fragrance" did not mean much to me then, but later on I have learned what it means. My girl friends then found it a very nice and romantic scent and even today women still find it as a nice romatic scent. I'm still using this fragrance and I'm glad that I can still find it.
02nd June, 2007

Add your review of Derrick

Shop for Derrick products online

Shop for Derrick at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Derrick

Member images of Derrick

There are no member images of Derrick yet. Why not be the first?