Design for Men (1992)

HousePaul Sebastian
Parent CompanyElizabeth Arden Inc
Parent Company at launchPSI Paul Sebastian Inc

About Design for Men

Design for Men is a masculine fragrance by Paul Sebastian. The scent was launched in 1992

Reviews of Design for Men

I quite like this as a fresh scent with some staying power. The top notes of lavender, citrus (bergamot and grapefruit for sure, possibly others) and juniper berries blend with some sharp fresh ginger and other spices in the mid notes, then the cedar, oakmoss and musk notes of the base fade in subtly.

The component notes have some similarities with Cartier's Pasha, and to my nose they belong to the same family --- spicy fresh scents that straddle the line between a fresh chypre and a citrus fantasy. It's more of a "feel-good" scent than one to make a bold statement, but I enjoy having it in my collection and wearing it on warm days.
14th July, 2014 (last edited: 13th July, 2014)
Fell in love with this cologne first time I smelled it at the store many moons ago. A lightly oriental, fruity, spicy refreshing fragtance that is fun to wear. Yes, its somewhat synthetic vibe to it but its very well made.
01st May, 2014
Quite a neat design, with a fougère ending

Lavender and amber start from the beginning, and citrus notes are present on the side. Nonetheless, it starts off on an overall somber note. Later a fuity component brightens is up a bit, and further into the drydown cedar and moss start to predominate. Indeed, like in a good number of its contemporaries, throughout the last few hours it is the oakmoss that shines; and whilst this scent has a synthetic feel, the base notes, especially the oakmoss, are quite well done. Overall a very wearable composition that in the latter parts becomes a respectable fougère fragrance. It has good silage and projection, and an excellent longevity on me of about eight hours.

13th August, 2013
I like Paul Sebastian "Fine Cologne" and I love "Casual", so I was predisposed to like this perfume, and even after reading the comments here I decided to buy it after all and find by myself how good it is.
Well, it is as bad as the comments, a total disapointment for me, but then again, I deserved it by not listening to you guys.
I gave it away. good ridance
An unequivocal thumbs down
27th February, 2012
In the words of shamu1: "Next, imagine what Casual would smell like if you added shampoo and a synthetic raw beef smell to it."

HA! I quite agree. Design for Men is a cheap, overtly chemical citrus that smells like a cheap shampoo from the 80's. Nauseating and very "cologne guy" like.
14th February, 2011
shamu1 Show all reviews
Okay, it's 180 degree turnaround time for me with Design For Men. Now that I've actually WORN this scent for a full day, I can say that it's pretty good. This puts Design behind the eight ball, since most people won't have the chance to really wear this without buying a bottle. It's not like you can take your shirt off in the middle of a store and spray yourself down with this.

This is a woody spicy, light oriental fragrance, similar to Escape For Men, only a little sweeter, due to light amber and tonka bean in the base notes. Sure, it contains some synthetic ingredients, but so what? I'll bet your favorite cologne, whatever that may be, is loaded with them. In the case of Design For Men, the synthetics are blended well, so that they feel like they belong in there. The notes all balance out very well, making this a comfortable fragrance to wear.

It projects well and lasts all day, so this is good value. If you like woody spicy styled fragrances like Escape, then this is worth picking up, since it's so inexpensive. Wearing this for a day is a MUCH different experience than sampling it on the back of your hand in a store, trust me.

MY RATING: 7/10
08th February, 2011 (last edited: 10th March, 2012)

Add your review of Design for Men

Shop for Design for Men products online

Shop for Design for Men at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Design for Men

Member images of Design for Men

There are no member images of Design for Men yet. Why not be the first?