Devin (1978)

PerfumerBernard Chant
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies > Aramis and Designer Fragrances
Parent Company at launchEstee Lauder Companies

About Devin

A green style fragrance launched by Aramis in 1978.
FIFI award winner in 1978

Devin fragrance notes

Reviews of Devin

I’m shocked for two reasons – Devin is still made and it’s still great. Don’t quite know who buys this anymore but it may have a cult following and you can count me in that cult too. Definitely influenced by Halston’s Z-14, Bernard Chant pushed Devin further by taking the Amber-meets-Leather-meets-Oak Moss base of Z-14 and adding in a resinous Pine note combined with a distinct Carnation note. Devin could be the love child of Z-14 and Polo Green but it never feels heavy-hitting like those two can be. It seems to quietly occupy its own space that’s perfect for wearing on a cold winter day.

26th April, 2016
Bought a bottle of this in the late 70's.It was quite bold in flavour and projected well,had marvelous sillage and longevity. The quality of the the pine and cedar was superb and captured an ethereal, conifer quality I have rarely witnessed until recent.
Heeley's Phoenicia.
I have yet to taste the contemporary. It is a prize if it has retained the magic.
I suspect not as I looked at the price so dear for the Vintage and the inexpensive contemporary.
07th February, 2016
This is an interesting scent which on dry down is great and exactly what I have been looking for... Starts off a little sweet and bitter... The bitter is almost off putting but as it disapates the sweetness mellows the scent... This isn't as smooth as Tuscany or Havana but is no less amazing... Smells like a Christmas tree with the pine, cedar and oakmoss... This lasts for several hours as it morphs into a faint leather scent. Enjoy.
15th September, 2015 (last edited: 17th September, 2015)
A masculine floral chypre highlighted by a lasting sweet, grassy orange-wormwood, hyacinth-pine, amber-leather structure. Like 900 and Tuscany, it smells natural and relaxed, quiet and elegant. I find the balance (and integration) of fresh, bitter and sweet to be a little off, although, surprisingly, the sweetness works really well in hot and humid weather. Very, very pleasing.
13th July, 2015
Oviatt Show all reviews
Relentlessly green, this could only have come from the Aramis/Lauder laboratories. It shares so much with Alliage and Private Collection--both Lauder feminines--that it truly is part of a much bigger movement. That movement included the seminal Polo--they are classmates, but Polo got voted valedictorian while Devin remained quietly on the sidelines--a big man on campus, to be sure, but not the top dog. Devin is so piney, bitter, green and bracing that it is a real period piece (those were the years of green frags) but would smell stunningly original on a twenty year old today. The re-issue smells exactly like I remember it and while I actually prefer Polo, I do enjoy wearing this and thinking about a time when fresh, green, strong men's fragrances ruled the roost. Wearing this is like having suede elbow patches on your tweed blazer--old school, but back in fashion. Like all Aramis scents, amazing sillage and longevity and all at a great price point.
08th February, 2015
Chet56 Show all reviews
I was a young Student Naval Aviator when a young lady working at a fragrance counter stretched the rules and gave me a GWP set of Devin. (She said something about knowing I was just starting out in the world and needing every advantage I could get.) I wound up liking it better than my original purchase. Devin was a contrast to the heavier, muskier, heavily macho fragrances of the day. The pastoral, country scent also fit my personality well, and I liked the fragrance myself (which is Rule One for any fragrance I wear - if EYE don't like it, I'm not going to wear it). I'm very happy that Devin is still available and I'm likely to wear it again to remind me of my long-vanished youth.
17th September, 2014

Add your review of Devin

Shop for Devin products online

Shop for Devin at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Devin

Member images of Devin

There are no member images of Devin yet. Why not be the first?