Devin (1978)

PerfumerBernard Chant
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies > Aramis and Designer Fragrances
Parent Company at launchEstee Lauder Companies

About Devin

A green style fragrance launched by Aramis in 1978.
FIFI award winner in 1978

Devin fragrance notes

Reviews of Devin

Aramis Devin was a blind buy for me in my recent interest to try out vintage juices. Now I didn't hate it, however this is far different than what I expected, based on reviews. As a scent itself, it is not hideous. It doesn't make me want to vomid, it is actually pleasant as a normal scent. However can't imagine it as something for a man to put on his skin and go to the office, or to an event!. I'd say it suits more to a grandma, or to a priest!

Top: I get a crisp citrusy smell, overlayed with significant bergamot. This goes away in few minutes.

Mid: Very floral and green. Jasmin is the main smell I could pick, perhaps that's why I didn't find it masculine. Also some leathery, creamy, green vibe going on here. I also smell a soft orange blossom, but that could well be something else..

Base: Now that's where it goes really bad. I must quote my girlfriend here: "This smells like inside of a church, the church candles!" And you know what, it is so true. The base is what you smell in those old churches, the moisty incense, candle-like smell. To make it worse, it is the majority of its lifecycle on your skin.

Overall, I can use this as an aftershave, maybe at home every now and then as a cologne like my grandma used to make at home - but no way near a classy, elegant man scent I had in mind. A no brainer to try before buy, definetely NOT FOR EVERYONE.
15th August, 2017
I like fragrances which are on the woody, green and leathery side. Got hooked to Cartier's EDT and EDT Concentree and have been using them for close to 15 years!

Anyways this one is about Aramis Devin. The small bottle does pack a punch!
On day 1, i sprayed a generous amount of this Devi(l)n and i regretted it the whole day. I thought it would settle down but this devi(l)n clung onto me like a badger and the intensity barely subsided even towards the end of the day.

Not one to give up on fragrances easily, I gave the fragrance a try on Day 2 and I toned down the quantity in a big way - restricting myself to just 4-5 quick sprays...and the results were fabulous.
On Day 2 I found that the fragrance was not too strong in the beginning and nicely lingered towards the end of the day.
Of course it kinda died out slowly after 10 hours+ but it persisted a long while and emitted very earthy notes.

So Devi(l)n Aramis is a basic, earthy elements like fragrance - wood, leather and farm/fields.
Needs to be worn in small quantities for best results.
13th May, 2017
I was gifted Devin one year as a hint to step outside the classic Aramis EDT as a relative of mine claimed that Devin was a finer juice...no it isn't.A very heavy base and amber,with cinnamon submerged in it.Carnation and moss but fused together it smells off-putting,damp, and rotten.There is an animalic quality to Devin a little too rich but that green/floral rot just makes you want to scrub this cologne off.

Two wearings and I chucked it...couldn't stand the stuff.
16th January, 2017
Devin just about gets a thumps up. At first the Aramis house note threatens to overpower the construction. After some wears the true character becomes perceptible although the lack of power in combination with superior blending make analysis pretty tough.

This creation from 1978 is green, sunny and woody. It has a very pleasurable opening which proceeds to an interplay with a fairly strong animalic phase which makes me think of the way fresh wooden furniture tends to smell dirty. The dry down radiates a quiet masculine aura that is quite comforting.

Devin by all rights should be a good to great fragrance but in the end misses character. It's just too muted (although this admittedly makes it easy to wear.) I can't help equating Devin to an good-looking square jaw who loves the outdoors but has a dull personality.

Devin is a precursor to more interesting scents like the beautiful Heritage and eccentric Jules. But it is affordable, easy to find, well-made and straight-up manly without being in your face about it. The kind of scent that wears well in autumn and winter when wearing a nice thick sweater.
14th January, 2017 (last edited: 01st March, 2017)
green,woody and slightly animalic, definitely old school, but such a pleasure to wear
30th September, 2016
A scrubber for me.
Galbanum was too overpowering.
Too bitter green for my taste
05th June, 2016

Add your review of Devin

Shop for Devin products online

Shop for Devin at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Devin

Member images of Devin

There are no member images of Devin yet. Why not be the first?