Devin (1978)

PerfumerBernard Chant
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies > Aramis and Designer Fragrances
Parent Company at launchEstee Lauder Companies

About Devin

A green style fragrance launched by Aramis in 1978.
FIFI award winner in 1978

Devin fragrance notes

Reviews of Devin

Oviatt Show all reviews
Relentlessly green, this could only have come from the Aramis/Lauder laboratories. It shares so much with Alliage and Private Collection--both Lauder feminines--that it truly is part of a much bigger movement. That movement included the seminal Polo--they are classmates, but Polo got voted valedictorian while Devin remained quietly on the sidelines--a big man on campus, to be sure, but not the top dog. Devin is so piney, bitter, green and bracing that it is a real period piece (those were the years of green frags) but would smell stunningly original on a twenty year old today. The re-issue smells exactly like I remember it and while I actually prefer Polo, I do enjoy wearing this and thinking about a time when fresh, green, strong men's fragrances ruled the roost. Wearing this is like having suede elbow patches on your tweed blazer--old school, but back in fashion. Like all Aramis scents, amazing sillage and longevity and all at a great price point.
08th February, 2015
Chet56 Show all reviews
I was a young Student Naval Aviator when a young lady working at a fragrance counter stretched the rules and gave me a GWP set of Devin. (She said something about knowing I was just starting out in the world and needing every advantage I could get.) I wound up liking it better than my original purchase. Devin was a contrast to the heavier, muskier, heavily macho fragrances of the day. The pastoral, country scent also fit my personality well, and I liked the fragrance myself (which is Rule One for any fragrance I wear - if EYE don't like it, I'm not going to wear it). I'm very happy that Devin is still available and I'm likely to wear it again to remind me of my long-vanished youth.
17th September, 2014
Genre: Green

If I remember correctly, this was the first fragrance I ever owned -- it was given to me as a gift when I was in high school. (OK, I just dated myself.) Now, decades later, I'm wearing it again with renewed appreciation. In a sea of chemical spill aquatics and bland Cool Water clones, Devin shines like a beacon of distinction and originality. Wedged in somewhere between the green chypres and the leather chypres, Devin opens green with sweet lemon zest, then quickly reveals spices, fruity esters, rich jasmine, and leather. The grand drydown, balanced between leather tang earthy oakmoss, manages to be at once outdoorsy and sophisticated.

Devin's scale and complexity leave most modern masculine scents smelling thin and puny by comparison; its poise and balance make much of what has come since smell hopelessly clumsy. Why anything this good hasn't already been discontinued is beyond me. Now that oakmoss is all but illegal, it probably will be.
12th June, 2014
I really enjoy the bracing evergreen opening - Northern trees with a mentholated pine and galbanum blend. It begins very airy and fresh. When the top starts to peel away the artemisia starts to poke out and starts turning bitter, while a sour oakmoss creeps up from behind. Here is what I don't like; the late heart transitioning into the base smells like a screechy, sickly version of the frankincense chypre of Halston Limited or Ho Hang Club. While not nearly as offensive on skin, wherever it rubbed off on my shirt Devin's end phase smells a little nauseating and is somehow as strong as or stronger than the opening blast. The inky black incenses and sour greens jumps up the volume too high and lose the crisp counterweight needed to keep Devin in check.
21st February, 2014
Another winner from Aramis. So glad they brought back Devin, Tuscany, New West, and Aramis 900. All four are outstanding Classics.

Devin is a captivating fragrance that exudes richness and class. It is captivating, warm, manly and ideal for daily use or special occasions. I get many compliments when I wear this fragrance, as I have worn it for many years! It is in my top 10. Although I do like the original packaging better. I highly recommend this fragrance!
15th December, 2013
kbe Show all reviews
Another Aramis Reissue Home Run

The reissue is mossy, leathery, herbal, tangy with some lavender thrown in the mix. Heavy, dark and pleasantly bitter from the get-go much like the hops effect I experience from a pint of top quality dark ale. Sillage and lasting power of the reissue seems somewhat less than the vintage but the overall impression is that they both are very similar.

18th October, 2013

Add your review of Devin

Shop for Devin products online

Shop for Devin at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Devin

Member images of Devin

There are no member images of Devin yet. Why not be the first?