Devin (1978)

PerfumerBernard Chant
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies > Aramis and Designer Fragrances
Parent Company at launchEstee Lauder Companies

About Devin

A green style fragrance launched by Aramis in 1978.
FIFI award winner in 1978

Devin fragrance notes

Reviews of Devin

There's no denying that Devin and Yatagan are similar, but that doesn't mean that just because Devin came out two years later it has to be a copy of Yatagan. They approach roughly the same destination but each one gets there by different means. Where Yatagan is more animalic and has chamomile and leather, Devin takes a more vegetalised route with pollen and celeriac.

Another reason why Devin isn't necessarily a copy is because they both, in different ways seem to derive from Bernard Chant's own tour de force Aromatics Elixir - just minus the rose and the coriander.

Devin is lighter and smoother than Yatagan, and this allows it to better express the frankly weird theme that makes these two so similar to each other, and so different from anything else I have smelled.

It's the heightened clarity of the way Devin articulates this characteristic theme that makes it the better work overall, and this may be the reason why it got a FiFi and Yatagan didn't. Also,the award may have been partly retrospective because when Aromatics was first released the FiFi's didn't exist.

****
01st February, 2019 (last edited: 05th February, 2019)
A perfect blend of green plant stems and florals over a leathery chypre base. It's distinctive, yet casual and unassuming.

The most prominent notes are the galbanum, artemisia and jasmine, with touches of pine and carnation. The galbanum and artemisia provide that bitter-green smell from the sap of freshly cut stems that you smell when you walk into a florist. The pine here is smooth and not at all mentholated as it is in Polo green, making it more garden green than forest or golf-course green. The jasmine brings a bit of florals and a sort-of hay-like animalic pong that blends the greens with the leather as the fragrance develops. The dry down is a subtle amber and oakmoss that slowly sweeten up the fragrance as the bitter green notes subside.

The result is that the vibe is much more casual outdoors picnic than the stuffy country-club association you might get from Polo. The performance fits in with this casual vibe - it lasts a good 8 hours, always there but never projecting obnoxiously. This suits me perfectly, I use it as my weekend daytime scent year round.

10/10.

09th September, 2018
It was the 70s, and as young ballet dancers we mostly wore Eau de Love, Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose, Sweet Earth solid perfumes by Coty, Muguet (also by Coty) and Jovan Grass Oil, which I sure wish I had now.

At some point my friend Dorian got a bottle of Alliage, and then I got it, too, since it was supposed to be a "sport fragrance" - I remember a magazine ad with Karen Graham in a white tennis hat. The bitter green opening was different from anything I'd smelled, and I really loved it. But trying it a year or so ago in revisiting all things green, I still loved the bitter green, but not the drydown.

So I was excited to discover Devin.

This is a masculine?! Not to question anybody's masculinity, but it's got the greens from Alliage plus a sweet, resinous base - classic Lauder with components I recognize from Youth Dew - so I'm happy to claim it as one of my current favorites.

My mind drifted just now to Goutal's Eau de Camille, which had a similar green and leafy (privet) opening and evolved into a juxtaposition of green + sweet syringa and honeysuckle. Devin really IS butch compared to the ephemeral Goutal, yet I think my instant love for the Goutal when it came out was probably due in part to a subliminal association I made to my old friend Alliage. I don't really think of myself as much of a Lauder person, but as someone who grew up in the States as a card-carrying member of 20th Century mall culture, they actually played a big part in forming my taste in fragrance.

Devin's inexpensive, but it doesn't smell cheap, and the lasting power is like an EDP. So now I check out classic masculines based on this discovery - who knows what else I've been missing all these years?
09th August, 2018
My old friend Devin
Your clarity, class and warmth
Remembered fondly.

An old style made new
A ladies' man - clean but with
A whiff of scandal.

The truer scandal
That I walked away from you
For an illusion.

Fragrance not my own
Costume, pretense, vanity
False fragrance, false love.

Lessons of my life
Learned, forgotten, learned again
As I smell you now.

Yet you aged quite well
Growing even more refined
With each passing year.

Go in peace, old friend
Let us keep what can be kept
Your beauty, my age.
18th July, 2018
This is exactly like a mixture of Caron Yatagan and Halston Z-14. Absolutely beautiful. Excellent longevity and sillage for a cologne. Yet another masterpiece by the house of Aramis. Aramis NEVER disappoints. Easy on the trigger. Do not spray the same spot twice, or the animalic note overwhelms. Spray your shirt also. Perfection.
20th June, 2018 (last edited: 24th June, 2018)
outstanding classic. absolutely oldschool masculine.
18th May, 2018

Add your review of Devin

Shop for Devin products online

Shop for Devin at online perfumeries

DEVIN by Aramis Cologne Spray 3.4 oz for Men

Devin by Aramis for Men 0.25 oz Country EDC Mini (No Box) Brand New

End Date: Saturday Mar-23-2019 21:44:59 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $14.99
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Aramis Devin By Aramis Eau De Cologne Spray 3.4 Oz (new Packing)

End Date: Sunday Mar-24-2019 0:44:14 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $24.05

(10mL) SAMPLE~ARAMIS DEVIN COUNTRY EAU DE COLOGNE for men (10mL) COLOGNE SAMPLE

End Date: Sunday Mar-24-2019 5:21:21 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $15.95
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

DEVIN BY ARAMIS COUNTRY EAU DE COLOGNE 3.4 OUNCE FOR MEN NEW!!

End Date: Sunday Mar-24-2019 9:19:35 PDT

DEVIN by Aramis Eau De Cologne Spray (Tester) 3.4 oz for Men

End Date: Monday Mar-25-2019 0:09:41 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $29.33

Member images of Devin

There are no member images of Devin yet. Why not be the first?