Drakkar Noir (1982)

PerfumerPierre Wargnye
PackagingPierre Dinand
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > Prestige & Collections

About Drakkar Noir

A classic. Drakkar is the Viking word for dragon boat.

Reviews of Drakkar Noir

Well this classic fragrance has gone downhill quick in the 30+ years since it was introduced. I bought a tester bottle on eBay for less than $18 expecting the classic scent of days gone past and that's exactly what this fragrance is now: gone past. I usually spray on a test "cloud" on my long sleeved pullover to test out purchased fragrances application, notes and eventual drydown scent. It smells great from the beginning, a little hint of Right Guard deodorant, then the "piney" notes come through. I usually spray on about 8-10 spritzes so I can really get into the scent. Less than 90 minutes later, I can barely get a whiff of it without straining.

It's too bad that manufacturers are not concentrating on the quality of their products but more on the bottom line of what their fragrances add to their revenue.

Because of the low cost and low sillage/longevity, I'll probably use this on my bed linens to get a semi-good night sleep.

Au revoir, Drakkar.
12th January, 2019
If you haven't smelled this, and your expectation of it is based on its ignominious place in popular culture, you might be surprised to discover that it smells like Christmas trees.

That's right. Drakkar Noir is primarily based around a dry (not sweet), prickly, sticky pine sap smell. Thankfully, it doesn't remind one so much of a certain household cleaning product as of actual green pine needles, freshly fallen pine cones, and the sticky, jagged limbs of a Christmas tree. It's essentially that (rather nice) smell, surrounded in a big pillowy cloud of dryer exhaust, redolent with the soapy, lavendery perfume of fabric softener. This laundry smell is due to the notoriously heavy dose of dihydromyrcenol. Pine and laundry is a weird combination, to be sure, but it's testament to Drakkar's commercial persistence that the accord somehow makes sense.

Does it smell sexy, manly, macho, horny, crude, disgusting, cheap, ridiculous? (I.e., any of the things you might expect given its status as a recurring punchline?) Nah, not really. It has a sort of whimsical old man vibe. Like something you might encounter in the presence of Dr. Seuss.

Anyway, on me it lasts all day, and so long as you don't overspray it's not too loud. As the day wears on, the pine recedes, and what remains takes on a sort of odd but fresh Gestalt. I can't see this becoming a staple of my wardrobe, but it would be fun to keep around and perhaps wear during the winter holidays.
12th November, 2018
hcr Show all reviews
This sample I just got is a lot soapier and less strong than the bottle I had back in the 90s. That stuff was powerful but intoxicating. This is not the same. I give my thumbs up for the original which was, for better or worse, the cologne of my teenage years.
13th May, 2018
This and Polo Original were considered the epitome of a men's fragrance from the 80's to mid 90's...fizzling out quite a bit from the aquatics era takeover or should I say trend. The purpose behind Drakkar Noir was a black leather fragrance that gave fresh/invigorating qualities.It's dark but cool and transparent in it's sharp finesse.

Here's the notes I always detected:
Black leather,patchouli,lemon,moss,juniper,lavender,and sandalwood.

With that being said I was a little let down initially that the patchouli has been whittled down to a much lighter note in the current formula.It doesn't play that role largely as it used to since it 'drenched' the black leather in patchouli oil.It's still there giving a light twist but thankfully but took some weight from the original formula.Hints of moss and sandalwood drift in the background accenting hints of bitter-green and wood.The soapy side though is nice.Juniper and lemon channeling straight through a bar of lavender soap making a slick,refreshing,and sharp soap smell that downright adds slickness behind Drakkar Noir.

The longevity does lack versus what Drakkar Noir used to be, but I get roughly 8 hours from it at 3-4 sprays.Low projection but to me it was back then as well.Someone coming back to this fragrance will encounter that it's lighter or not quite as rich...once again...the reduction of patchouli.If Drakkar Noir still wore the $45 price tag today for a 3.4oz bottle under this current formula this would be a neutral.As a $25 fragrance today it still deserves a thumbs up because it still smells great and not different enough to snub nose this leather fragrance.

14th March, 2018 (last edited: 20th March, 2018)
I was nervously expecting a brash overly synthetic powerhouse here. I have tried about a dozen of these "old beasts" and found a couple real keepers plus plenty of rabid dog spray. I was pleasantly surprised by DNs smooth yet potent masculine manner. Lots of citrus plus a very large chorus of notes that seem to straddle the powerhouse and barbershop segments. My bottle is current.

It does smell dated although quite pleasant, if you don't overdue it. Some of the "good old stuff" where you get a lot of bang for the buck. It last quite well too. This is nothing like the modern trending frags, something I appreciate.
04th February, 2018
I stopped wearing this fragrance in the early '90s when I discovered a few newer fragrances being worn by my peers. Recently, I decided to revisit this old friend and found a greater appreciation for its complexity. Everything about this fragrance, from its Top; Middle; and Base notes, is like dining at a 5 Star restaurant. The Top notes last a little bit longer than a good number of fragrances in this price range. In this case, about an hour. Plenty of time for an introduction. Then the Middle notes emerge making the statement, "Let's find someplace to sit and get to know one another." When the Base notes finally take center stage they say, "This is who I am." Each level of fragrance notes exquisitely compliments the next. Fragrances are very individual and communicate something about ourselves.For me, wearing this scent says, "I'm glad to be here, I'm in no hurry, I'm enjoying the moment." I personally believe that this fragrance has a place with this younger generation and their preferred fragrances. I was in my mid-twenties when I started to wear Drakkar Noir. I wore it for years. Now at 56 years old, I'm enjoying the maturity of this fragrance without the, "Gee, you smell like my grandfather's aftershave," so many people seem to assign to these '80s fragrances. I think that this is both a contemporary and nostalgic scent, and deserves its place on any cologne shelf.
02nd February, 2018

Guy Laroche Drakkar Noir Deodorant Body Spray, 6.0 Oz

End Date: Monday Jan-21-2019 4:18:36 PST
Buy It Now for only: $19.67
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

New Limited Edition L'Ombre Men Guy Laroche Version of Drakkar Noir 2.5 oz Spray

End Date: Monday Jan-21-2019 9:31:58 PST
Buy It Now for only: $9.95
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

GUY LAROCHE DRAKKAR NOIR AFTER SHAVE BALM PACK 6.8oz 200ml (3.4oz 100ml x 2)

End Date: Monday Jan-21-2019 11:12:53 PST

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche EDT Spray 1.7 oz NIB 100% AUTHENTIC

End Date: Monday Jan-21-2019 14:00:13 PST
Buy It Now for only: $19.97
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Drakkar Noir Cologne By GUY LAROCHE FOR MEN 3.4 oz 100 ML 6.7 oz 200 ML 1 oz NEW

Buy It Now for only: $22.00

Buy It Now for only: $45.00

Buy It Now for only: $22.00

Buy It Now for only: $24.00

Buy It Now for only: $33.00
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Men Type Inspired Premium Perfume Body Oil Sample 1ml Glass Vial ($1.5 Each)

End Date: Monday Jan-21-2019 14:59:08 PST
Buy It Now for only: $1.49
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche 3pc Gift Set EDT-3.4 oz + Aftershave Balm+ Deodorant

End Date: Monday Jan-21-2019 15:46:42 PST