Drakkar Noir (1982)

PerfumerPierre Wargnye
PackagingPierre Dinand
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > Prestige & Collections

About Drakkar Noir

A classic. Drakkar is the Viking word for dragon boat.

Reviews of Drakkar Noir

hcr Show all reviews
This sample I just got is a lot soapier and less strong than the bottle I had back in the 90s. That stuff was powerful but intoxicating. This is not the same. I give my thumbs up for the original which was, for better or worse, the cologne of my teenage years.
13th May, 2018
This and Polo Original were considered the epitome of a men's fragrance from the 80's to mid 90's...fizzling out quite a bit from the aquatics era takeover or should I say trend. The purpose behind Drakkar Noir was a black leather fragrance that gave fresh/invigorating qualities.It's dark but cool and transparent in it's sharp finesse.

Here's the notes I always detected:
Black leather,patchouli,lemon,moss,juniper,lavender,and sandalwood.

With that being said I was a little let down initially that the patchouli has been whittled down to a much lighter note in the current formula.It doesn't play that role largely as it used to since it 'drenched' the black leather in patchouli oil.It's still there giving a light twist but thankfully but took some weight from the original formula.Hints of moss and sandalwood drift in the background accenting hints of bitter-green and wood.The soapy side though is nice.Juniper and lemon channeling straight through a bar of lavender soap making a slick,refreshing,and sharp soap smell that downright adds slickness behind Drakkar Noir.

The longevity does lack versus what Drakkar Noir used to be, but I get roughly 8 hours from it at 3-4 sprays.Low projection but to me it was back then as well.Someone coming back to this fragrance will encounter that it's lighter or not quite as rich...once again...the reduction of patchouli.If Drakkar Noir still wore the $45 price tag today for a 3.4oz bottle under this current formula this would be a neutral.As a $25 fragrance today it still deserves a thumbs up because it still smells great and not different enough to snub nose this leather fragrance.

14th March, 2018 (last edited: 20th March, 2018)
I was nervously expecting a brash overly synthetic powerhouse here. I have tried about a dozen of these "old beasts" and found a couple real keepers plus plenty of rabid dog spray. I was pleasantly surprised by DNs smooth yet potent masculine manner. Lots of citrus plus a very large chorus of notes that seem to straddle the powerhouse and barbershop segments. My bottle is current.

It does smell dated although quite pleasant, if you don't overdue it. Some of the "good old stuff" where you get a lot of bang for the buck. It last quite well too. This is nothing like the modern trending frags, something I appreciate.
04th February, 2018
I stopped wearing this fragrance in the early '90s when I discovered a few newer fragrances being worn by my peers. Recently, I decided to revisit this old friend and found a greater appreciation for its complexity. Everything about this fragrance, from its Top; Middle; and Base notes, is like dining at a 5 Star restaurant. The Top notes last a little bit longer than a good number of fragrances in this price range. In this case, about an hour. Plenty of time for an introduction. Then the Middle notes emerge making the statement, "Let's find someplace to sit and get to know one another." When the Base notes finally take center stage they say, "This is who I am." Each level of fragrance notes exquisitely compliments the next. Fragrances are very individual and communicate something about ourselves.For me, wearing this scent says, "I'm glad to be here, I'm in no hurry, I'm enjoying the moment." I personally believe that this fragrance has a place with this younger generation and their preferred fragrances. I was in my mid-twenties when I started to wear Drakkar Noir. I wore it for years. Now at 56 years old, I'm enjoying the maturity of this fragrance without the, "Gee, you smell like my grandfather's aftershave," so many people seem to assign to these '80s fragrances. I think that this is both a contemporary and nostalgic scent, and deserves its place on any cologne shelf.
02nd February, 2018
TeeEm Show all reviews
Used to wear it in the 80s, I have not seen it around for ages (surprised people still buy it)

How do I class it?
Not sure... Not too sweet, not too fresh, no real spice, no real character it smells like an underarm deodorant... It did not last long so I had to apply every 2-3 hours (good thing it was very cheap)

I wore it in the daytime as I felt it was classless

06th January, 2018
This isn't bad at all, and I'm testing from a current version of Drakkar. I was expecting something along the lines of Kouros and Lapidus pH, but this is lighter, fresher, sweeter...maybe a first step toward fragrances that followed in the 90's and beyond. Make no mistake though, this is very masculine.

I remember a guy I went to college with in the 90's swore by this stuff. It always smelled good on him back then, so it shouldn't be a surprise that this is still a good scent.

It does smell very familiar and more mature, so it's nothing unique or new and exciting. Just a solid masculine clean scent.
05th January, 2018

Add your review of Drakkar Noir

Shop for Drakkar Noir products online

DRAKKAR NOIR by Guy Laroche Eau De Toilette Spray 6.7 oz-200 ml-Men 412386

End Date: Monday Nov-19-2018 0:40:31 PST
Buy It Now for only: $56.71
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Guy Laroche Drakkar Noir 3.4oz Mens EDT & Body Spray Combo 100% AUTHENTIC SEALED

$39.99 (0 Bids)

Guy Laroche MDRAKKAR6.7EDTSPR 6.7 oz Mens Drakkar Noir Eau De Toilette Spray

End Date: Monday Nov-19-2018 9:06:55 PST
Buy It Now for only: $47.21
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche 3.4 oz/100 ml Aftershave lotion splash SEALED IN BOX

End Date: Monday Nov-19-2018 9:15:03 PST