Drakkar Noir (1982)

PerfumerPierre Wargnye
PackagingPierre Dinand
Parent CompanyL'Oréal Group > Prestige & Collections

About Drakkar Noir

A classic. Drakkar is the Viking word for dragon boat.

Drakkar Noir fragrance notes

Reviews of Drakkar Noir

Drakkar Noir is wonderful! I used up a bottle without even thinking about it, cause it's just such a versatile fragrance, good for day, night, winter, summer, anytime. People always compliment it without recognizing it. No one wears it anymore since it's been a meme for try-hard male sleaziness via jokes on various television shows for 20+ years. I first smelled it on a gorgeous, smartly dressed young guy and couldn't believe it when he told me it was Drakkar Noir. It smells a lot like Paloma Picasso, with a dry mossy patchouli leather and a soapy character. There is a fun gourmand movie popcorn accord in there too. People will pay so much for these allegedly daring niche animalic leather chypres when this is around, everywhere, for no money and in great shape. Would be especially good on a woman.
02nd October, 2015
Think we've all been there..temptation buying wins the day and DN became the newest recipient. More to the point I became the recipient of a fragrance that has stood the test of time and still firmly stands head and shoulders amongst some of the latest pongs. Pardon the expression! But anyway..

Sexy, sassy, clean, confident, masculine, earthy even raunchy..but equally quite mysterious in a way which is proving quite tricky to put into words..but then there lies the answer and why this gets a thumbs up from me. Ditto to a few who've got within 'nose shot' including the lovely curvaceous blonde from only a few weeks ago ...
; )

A true classic which will IMO continue to tick the right boxes and to be fair, despite some divided opinion, one for any discerning gentleman's collection or wardrobe. Very pleasurable to wear for many an occasion. Enjoy!

16th August, 2015
A very green powerhouse man's scent from the 1980s. Along with Aramis, Open and Quorum, Drakkar Noir defines the green, herbaceous chypre type.

The citrus notes of lemon and mandarin mix with the herbal green notes of basil, rosemary, bergamot, mint and verbena.

The spicy heart reveals cinnamon, coriander, cardamom, juniper, angelica, wormwood and a healthy dose of lavender.

All this rests on the dark green notes of patchouli, oak mod, cedar, balsam, vetiver and pine.

It's powerful and iconic. I do believe Drakkar Noir and Aramis were the two best selling men's scent of the 1980 decade.

LaRoche only created about a dozen scents. Drakkar Noir was his most popular men's scent, while Fidji was his most popular woman's scent.

DN is still a winner after all these years.

12th June, 2015
Concerning the present formulation of this one, it's nice, but I find myself never reaching for it really. I still keep the mini bottles on my shelf because they take up no room, but my normal sized bottle has gone into my closet to join my swap list. I had read a number of people compare Caesar Man to the vintage Drakkar Noir (which I have never consciously experienced), so I had to try that and it did not disappoint me. Again, current Drakkar Noir is not bad, but if like myself you found it not quite there, I recommend looking into Caesar Man instead. Again the disclaimer that my review here is of the current formulation - the vintage juice might have been a different story for me.
19th January, 2015
Ralph Show all reviews
Yes, it's a rather crude pine scent, isn't it? Nothing you'd want to smell of, really.
16th December, 2014
Not bad! How have I missed trying this one out, with all these pine-y notes? Has a herbal-green opening, reasonably dry character with only a slight "fresh" (perhaps synthetic) aspect. A scent of the '80s but not heavy-handed. Not a lot of conifers but a little bit. The mossy-patchouli dry-down is typical of the time.
14th November, 2014

Add your review of Drakkar Noir

Shop for Drakkar Noir products online

Shop for Drakkar Noir at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Drakkar Noir

Member images of Drakkar Noir

There are no member images of Drakkar Noir yet. Why not be the first?