Dune pour Homme (1997)

PerfumerOlivier Cresp
PackagingChristian Gadras
Parent CompanyLVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton

About Dune pour Homme

Launched in 1997 by Dior as a partner for the feminine Dune. The fragrance opens with a hif of fig notes and dries down to fig tree wood.

Dune pour Homme fragrance notes

Reviews of Dune pour Homme

A very bitter opening that goes woody, musky and spicy. It's not bad, but nothing special.
07th September, 2017
It's not too bad. A lot of fig in this one, if that's your thing. I don't find it to be too memorable for me personally, although I do see Dune fitting in nicely while walking along a beach or boardwalk in the summer. It has a coastal wear quality to it, but missing something; perhaps its subtlety was deliberate, I don’t know.

Plus, Deauville by Michel Germain, My Ocean by Club Med, Declaration L'Eau, et. al. seem to be better scents in the same vein as Dune that does a better job evoking that seaside experience. You decide. ;^>
17th March, 2017
I used and entire bottle of this I got as present long long time ago but never really enjoyed it fully :S
21st May, 2016
A bitter green acquatic woody.

This is decidedly, for my nose, generic to the nth degree. It smells like hundreds of other acquatic woodies on the market, thin, watery, without any character, with an underlying harshness that makes it very off-putting indeed.

I hated the original Dune. I don't like this flanker either. By the way neither has any relation to the other. The original Dune reminded me of "wet dog," the Dune Pour Homme reminds me of wet woods.

Pass the hair dryer, please.
21st January, 2016
Salutation.

A Salute to DIOR style,A Irresistible Experience for all Senses and one of my Father Favorie that I Adore it Too. DUNE is Modern,Summery,Floral, Original,Crisp,Exquisite, Refreshing Yet Classy.

It has a sparkling start with Cassis, Fig Leaf and Basil which Leads to a floral Heart.It finishes with a Great base notes by Vanilla,Sandalwood and Cedar.This Elixir is for a Gentleman who want an Unassuming but Elegant cologne for Day&Night Wearning.

DUNE is Fresh but without Citrus notes That often Characteristic of fresh compositions.Fantastic for SUNNY days and In my opinion is Suitable for All Occasions Especially INTIMATE. Perfect with a Dignified Character.

Sillage?Very Good.

Longevity?It is not So Remarkable on my skin Nonetheless DUNE is a Great Fragrance.

01st July, 2015
Dune pour Homme is for me among the most enigmatic and elusive mainstream fragrances ever made, for how it elaborates a generic “designer” theme in a fascinating way. It should be supposed to be a versatile, clean and “easy” exotic fig-green scent with a soapy-musky base, and it partially is so indeed; actually the smell itself is really simple, totally good and totally wearable. A gentle, graceful, mannered and slightly creamy fig-musk-green scent. But to me, and I admit this may be a totally personal perception, it has something else which makes it completely unique and, well, kind of creepy at the same time. That “creepy” feature is connected to its signature sort of warm, blurred and watery texture, which is due to the use of hedione and musk (ketones, I guess); it feels slightly humid, lactescent and “grey” too, and for some odd reasons it makes me think of some old, faded 8 mm homemade videotape shot in a cloudy, muggy August afternoon lost in the mid-1990s. The “analogic filter” role played by the film grain corresponds to hedione here, which is I think the key of Dune’s magic – a sort of fruity-watery-grey note which gives Dune this sort of damp, plastic, sultry feel.

This together with some more ordinary, decent-quality and undoubtedly “summery” nuances like green notes and fig leaves, produce a really fascinating “summer feel”, but where “summer” means “a summer of your childhood lost in your imagination”. Nothing crisp and realistic, on the contrary a blurry, cozy, faded souvenir. It’s like if the use of hedione and musk here gives the blend a sort of nostalgic and almost hallucinating feel which makes you plunge into your own memories. Grey, sort of humid and sweltering, at the same time “faded” and quiet. Out of all the dozens of similarly synthetic scents I’ve tried and owned, this is the only one which triggers that path of associations, showing how creatively one can make good use of synthetic aromachemicals (assuming there was an intention to be creative, otherwise I guess it’s just bare luck). Anyway, aside from all of that which is maybe just a subjective frenzy of mine, Dune pour Homme is surely a good, clean and cozy greenish-exotic all-rounder with a really respectable quality and a perfect balance of distinction and “safeness”. Nothing groundbreaking and a bit short-lived (as you can expect with these notes) but inexpensively solid.

7,5/10