Dunhill for Men (1934)

Year of Launch1934

HouseDunhill
Parent CompanyInter Parfums

About Dunhill for Men

Dunhill for Men is a masculine fragrance by Dunhill. The scent was launched in 1934

Dunhill for Men fragrance notes

Reviews of Dunhill for Men

I purchased this recently after finding it going cheap online. I think I had had a miniature of it back in the 80s and had favourable memories. The bottle I got is from 2011 according to the batch code so certainly not vintage but it is wonderful. A very strong opening with lots of lavender and leather, coupled with a flowery spice. I can sense a faint similarity to Givenchy gentleman for some reason, but this is far less leathery than that and indeed Aramis, with which it also seems to share certain notes. Dandy comes to mind but again that not does not do justice to this great scent as it is far more masculine than most dandy scents. This is very old school for sure but, even though from 1934, seems to come across as modern take on an old school scent. It is 20 degrees Celsius here today (nearly 70 Fahrenheit), a warm day for our summer, and this wears sooooo well. I love it, soapy, leathery, lavendery, flowery and spicy, a true masterpiece.
03rd June, 2017
Vintage Dunhill for Men has developed differently during different wearings for me. It reminds me of Hermes Equipage with a touch of a soapy note somewhat similar to Paco Rabanne Pour Homme. During some wearings, the soapy, shaving-cream type notes burn off, and a base similar to Cuir de Russie comes out, which goes on to develop into a nice tonka skin scent.
17th April, 2017 (last edited: 05th May, 2017)
Dunhill for Men was launched in 1934, and to me it conjures up an elegant, swanky and sophisticated gentleman who doesn't take himself too seriously. Think William Powell as Nick Charles in the "Thin Man" movies. If it were music, it would be something by Cole Porter or perhaps Duke Ellington. Definitely the Art Deco era, and definitely more city than country.

They don't make 'em like this anymore, so its an olfactory trip back in time to a more genteel era - refined, rich, and classy.
10th February, 2017
Spice and leather, and pretty intense too! I get some barber shop vibes too.

If Polo Green was thinned out to a EdC strength then amplified and accentuated with more spices you'd get this.

Go easy on the trigger.
03rd November, 2016
A nice enough fragrance. With 4-5 sprays you are left feeling fresh and floral for several hours. A nice, gentle scent cloud remains throughout my work day, which is a nice change to those fragrances that have a screaming opening but go close to the skin an hour later.

It begins to shreak if applied liberally, but I'm sure responsible basenoters will not take issue with this. In my cas, I had to learn the hard way.

The floral heart dominates, heavily influenced by the rose and carnation. The lavender thankfully keeps everything fresh and a touch soapy.

There is no leather in this, or at least not the type of leather we see in contemporary perfumery. The Vetiver is also far in the background.

The scent punches slightly above its weight but do not think this cheapy will be upstaging any classic masculines above its price.

Very poor presentation due to the cheap plastic cap and naked sprayer. The bottle itself is nice though.
12th November, 2015
This is my first go at writing a review on Basenotes, so here I go!

Dunhill for Men is in my opinion one of the finer fragrances out there--it is definitely the scent of a gentleman. I am actually very upset that this classic has been discontinued. I received confirmation of this directly from Dunhill. The only thing I can think of doing is to write them once a week, urging them to bring this iconic classic back! I suggest that any fan of this scent consider doing the same, whether or not it will compel Alfred Dunhill to revive Dunhill for Men remains to be seen, but it certainly will not hurt to ask.

As far as the notes are concerned, I am not yet qualified to write a detailed review. It is soapy (in a good way) and I do detect citrus notes, lavender, musk and leather. The longevity is very good, much better than most fragrances sold today. Get this while you still can!
14th February, 2015 (last edited: 03rd April, 2016)

Add your review of Dunhill for Men