Dunhill Edition (1984)

• Perfumer: IFF
    • Bottle Designer: Unknown - Let us know

Dunhill Edition Fragrance Notes

Dunhill Edition information

This fresh spicy fragrance is ideal for a distinguished gentleman. Packaged in a stylish black box.

Shop for Dunhill Edition products online

$75.28*
    100ml EdT
    (*converted from GBP 45.00)

Reviews of Dunhill Edition

Showing 1 to 6 of 53 reviews.

Jones's avatar
    Jones

When I die, I want to be preserved inside a giant bottle of Dunhill Edition.

I wear this until I'm sick of it, I practically bathe in it, this eau de toilette is the pinnacle of the house's history, it's my favourite EDT – I've been wearing it for over a decade.

It's so lemon-fresh when you spray it on... then the nutmeg and clove come in... it's so bold – yet refined. Yes it is a 'barbershop' scent, but it's surely the best... and barbershops smell really, really good.

Dunhill Edition IS Dunhill. This one will never be topped... ever.

08 January, 2014 (Last Edited: 10th January, 2014)

Zut's avatar
    Zut

The Duhnill Edition I know has this composition:

Top: lavender, nutmeg, bergamot, amalfi lemon
    Heart: carnation, jasmine, geranium, lily-of-the-valley, clary sage, cyclamen
    Base: vetiver, oak moss, virginia cedar, amber, tonka, fir

In my opinion, Dunhill Edition is a more refined and richer version of Cacharel pour homme which was launched about three years earlier. Here is Cacharel pour homme's olfactory pyramid:

Top: bergamot, sage, nutmeg, lavender
    Heart: ylang-ylang, lotus, geranium, carnation
    Base: amber, cedar, vetiver, fir

Dunhill Edition is a symphony of perfectly balanced masculine notes. The lemony opening warms up quite fast and leads to a spicy carnation/clove heart. As the dry-down begins, the classy wood notes emerge along with the vetiver/oak moss notes which are the very base of this fragrance. The amber/tonka notes take away some of the dryness and the hardness of the composition without making it too powdery or too sweet. I think Dunhill Edition is a perfectly balanced EDT. It may not be a youthful and exciting fragrance but if class and prestige is what you are looking for, this is the one for you.

20th May, 2012

Jack Hunter's avatar
    Jack Hunter

Well my perception is going to be a little skewed as its been over twenty years since I have smelled this. The old formulation opened with a fresh spicy citrus which was quite strong then it got woody and mossy in the dry down. It was strong and the topnotes were more sparkling and spicy.

The new reformulation seems very muted and light in comparison. The topnotes do not seem as spicy or as strong as I remember and this one seems to be more herbal than I remember too. It seems like a "diet coke" version of the glorious eighties version, maybe its my memory.

I like it as it still has that classic gentleman's old school spicy citrus/woody character but it smells like it has been watered down compared to the eighties version. I hate what they have done to a lot of the classic eighties fragrances as todays versions are a pale reflection to the glory of what they should be.

Eighties original formula: 9 out of ten.
    Modern Reformulated formula: 7.5 out of ten.

06 January, 2012

Chanzy's avatar
    Chanzy

I've been wearing this one off and on for a few years. I've never been crazy about it but sometimes it just feels right. The notes I get after it settles are sage, clove, and musk. There's a leathery note in there somewhere too. Goes on with a pungent edge. Dries down in a more charming way. Two squirts and you'll feel like last night you put back half a bottle of blended scotch and burned through a lancero. I'd say this is a fall or winter scent.

03 January, 2012

manicboy's avatar
    manicboy

I happen to know on authority that well-dressed gentlemen in the back rooms of very old pubs in London wear this. Too bad they can't smoke their Dunhill cigarettes in the back room anymore but at least guilty pleasures like Dunhill Edition can still be enjoyed in public. At least for the time being...

Edition certainly "smells" English to me and from a time when men were men and lads were...well, lads. From the first pull of the trigger, bitter aromatics join with lavender that gets your attention immediately. Rustic and pleasing but with an animalic note thrown in for good measure. Old-world and earthy cloves arrive and the clove cigarette is born. Or maybe not but the allusion is there. Cedar and musk round Edition out and the Edition is complete. What a joy to wear and I marvel at it from beginning to end. There's really nothing out there like this and it's a shame the Dunhill has discontinued Edition to focus on the rest of their range which can be summed up in two words, sneaker juice. Shame really.

18 April, 2011

AnimaSola's avatar
    AnimaSola

Like Eau Sauvage and Signoricci, this is citrus and wood sophistication at its best. It is refined, understated and disarmingly seductive. Classic!

12 January, 2011