Eau d'Hadrien (1981)

Based on 459 ratings

Eau d'Hadrien Fragrance notes

sicilian lemon, Grapefruit, Green mandarin, Cypress, Aldehydes, Ylang ylang

Eau d'Hadrien information

Goutal's woody citrus potion delivers a potent burst of citrus flavor cut with a heavy woody base. Long long long lasting scent that has certain elegance to it. [AN]

Shop for Eau d'Hadrien products online

Reviews of Eau d'Hadrien

Showing 1 to 6 of 85 reviews.

Way Off Scenter's avatar

Genre: Citrus

Eau d’Hadrien opens with a very appealing (if not terribly original) blend of crisp citrus and green notes that’s pure Mediterranean. As others have noted, it’s also more than a little reminiscent of lemon scented furniture polish. To stretch the analogy, the furniture polish is soon applied, as a strong woody base emerges from beneath the citrus as the fragrance ages.

Over the course of the next half hour Eau d’Hadrien reveals a powdery note that rounds out the citrus and somewhat diminishes its resemblance to a household cleaner. Some light floral elements (is that a bit of rose I smell?) join in as well, and lend the fragrance welcome depth and some extra complexity. The citrus fades down pretty quickly, so that by the two hour mark I’m left with some woods and powdery musk, with just a hint of fruit and flowers shifting in and out of focus. All and all it’s pleasant enough, but nothing I’d get too excited about. For woods and citrus I go for the richer and far more complex Iskander from Parfum d’Empire or the more exotic and long-lasting Bahiana by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier.

13 June, 2014

Colin Maillard's avatar

A pleasant, clean, classic citrus cologne with the typical Goutal's touch – kind of a paler and more masculine version of Nuit Etoilée. Nice and lively, but there's plenty of other similar scents which do the same job. Quite light and not much persistent.

16 April, 2014

Lisa DP's avatar

In summer, Eau d'Hadrien is my signature fragrance. It's a wonderful fresh, breezy perfume that is a perfect accompaniment to a balmy Australian evening or a Sunday afternoon barbecue. My husband doesn't like it on me - or on him - but my best friend will always come up close to me and sniff my neck. I find that the lemon can sometimes turn bitter, depending on when I am wearing it, but that's just another facet of this interesting fragrance. The EDT has no longevity at all, so I wouldn't recommend it. I wear the EDP, which also has longevity problems. So if you are out for the day, it might be worth bringing the bottle with you for a re-spritz, or layering it with the body cream. Combining Éau d'Hadrien with the orange/mandarin of Mandragore also delivers a beautiful Italian citrus combination. I've tried many other lemon-dominant perfumes, but keep coming back to my Annick Goutal.

04 April, 2014

rbaker's avatar

Pleasant opening with lemon-grapefruit vibes is pleasant, but more on the elegantly restrained side. The aldehydes are not unpleasant, especially later in the drydown when a woody note is added that later las ylang-ylang added in the base. A pleasant lemon summer scent, maybe a bit too tame; there are more straightforward or refreshing lemon scents in the fragrance universe. Nonetheless, a good elegant citrus for the office.

25 January, 2014

michailG's avatar

My review is based on my experience from my 100ml EdT of Eau d' Hadrien in the bottle that is supposedly for men, the one in the golden box. I purchased this blindly at Winners Toronto for 80CAD two days ago. My suggestion: if you love citrus notes don't buy this, and in any way don’t blind-buy. Although I like the effervescence of citrus notes I am not fond of overly fresh, light or sallow compositions. Eau d' Hadrien is a total disappointment on many levels. It starts with a citrus blast. In half an hour I can detect tarty bergamot. From then on Eau d'Hadrien becomes a lightly sour and linear bergamot. Cypress is barely traced on my skin. Finally a light accord of bergamot and neroli, stays close to my skin 5 hours after application. Eau d'Hadrien is a very average composition. Even if the longevity of Eau d' Hadrien is good (its silage is not) I am not interested because what follows the first 5-10 minutes is really not appealing and especially the dry down is a great bore.

27 April, 2013

Redbeard's avatar

Right from the start, a very appealing and realistic lemon scent. Sweet, but not saccharine or candied. Sour but not unreasonably so, and without the use of bitter herbs. And just floral enough for you to be aware of it in the background. It stays relatively pure in the way that many of the English barbershop lime scents do, so I was worried at first that that it would peter out quickly and into utter nothingness. After a few more minutes, I can tell that it's dropping off a bit less steeply than I thought it would. I'm not really sure how much of the trace woody base comes from other things they've added and how much is from the vague natural base of the lemon itself, but I definitely notice that the lemoniness has lasted far longer than I expected it to, much like the (relatively) long-lasting limeyness of Truefitt's surprisingly good lime scent. I don't like lemon as much as lime or grapefruit, but this is quite plainly the benchmark for lemon, and I don't recall any others I've tried beating it on longevity, initial strength, or the naturalness of the scent. Well done!

23 October, 2012

Add your review of Eau d'Hadrien

Search for on eBay United States

EAU D'HADRIEN For Women By ANNICK GOUTAL 3.4 oz Eau de Toilette Spray - NIB
    • Listing Type: Buy it Now
    • Time Left: 6 days
    (Shipping from United States)
    NIB $289 Annick Goutal 3.4oz Eau d'Hadrien Eau de PARFUM Splash Butterfly Bottle
    Eau d'Hadrien For Women by Annick Goutal Eau De Parfum Spray 1.7 oz/ 50 ml