Eau d'Hadrien (1981)

PerfumerFrancis Camail
Parent CompanyStarwood Capital Group > Taittinger > Louvre Groupe
Parent Company at launchAnnick Goutal

About Eau d'Hadrien

Goutal's woody citrus potion delivers a potent burst of citrus flavor cut with a heavy woody base. Long long long lasting scent that has certain elegance to it. [AN]

Reviews of Eau d'Hadrien

Wow, I really do like Eau d'Hadrien, but with one single major drawback - it faded way too fast. The citrus combination is clean, crisp and smells fresh. I would love to just bathe in this, but I only have a sample. I wish it would've lasted more than 30 minutes, because I was intoxicated for a brief period of time.
16th April, 2015
Something about the aldehydes and the mandarin gave me a BO vibe, thought it started out well.
23rd November, 2014
Genre: Citrus

Eau d’Hadrien opens with a very appealing (if not terribly original) blend of crisp citrus and green notes that’s pure Mediterranean. As others have noted, it’s also more than a little reminiscent of lemon scented furniture polish. To stretch the analogy, the furniture polish is soon applied, as a strong woody base emerges from beneath the citrus as the fragrance ages.

Over the course of the next half hour Eau d’Hadrien reveals a powdery note that rounds out the citrus and somewhat diminishes its resemblance to a household cleaner. Some light floral elements (is that a bit of rose I smell?) join in as well, and lend the fragrance welcome depth and some extra complexity. The citrus fades down pretty quickly, so that by the two hour mark I’m left with some woods and powdery musk, with just a hint of fruit and flowers shifting in and out of focus. All and all it’s pleasant enough, but nothing I’d get too excited about. For woods and citrus I go for the richer and far more complex Iskander from Parfum d’Empire or the more exotic and long-lasting Bahiana by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier.
13th June, 2014
A pleasant, clean, classic citrus cologne with the typical Goutal's touch – kind of a paler and more masculine version of Nuit Etoilée. Nice and lively, but there's plenty of other similar scents which do the same job. Quite light and not much persistent.

16th April, 2014
In summer, Eau d'Hadrien is my signature fragrance. It's a wonderful fresh, breezy perfume that is a perfect accompaniment to a balmy Australian evening or a Sunday afternoon barbecue. My husband doesn't like it on me - or on him - but my best friend will always come up close to me and sniff my neck. I find that the lemon can sometimes turn bitter, depending on when I am wearing it, but that's just another facet of this interesting fragrance. The EDT has no longevity at all, so I wouldn't recommend it. I wear the EDP, which also has longevity problems. So if you are out for the day, it might be worth bringing the bottle with you for a re-spritz, or layering it with the body cream. Combining Éau d'Hadrien with the orange/mandarin of Mandragore also delivers a beautiful Italian citrus combination. I've tried many other lemon-dominant perfumes, but keep coming back to my Annick Goutal.
04th April, 2014
Pleasant opening with lemon-grapefruit vibes is pleasant, but more on the elegantly restrained side. The aldehydes are not unpleasant, especially later in the drydown when a woody note is added that later las ylang-ylang added in the base. A pleasant lemon summer scent, maybe a bit too tame; there are more straightforward or refreshing lemon scents in the fragrance universe. Nonetheless, a good elegant citrus for the office.
25th January, 2014

Add your review of Eau d'Hadrien

Shop for Eau d'Hadrien products online

Shop for Eau d'Hadrien at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Eau d'Hadrien

Member images of Eau d'Hadrien

There are no member images of Eau d'Hadrien yet. Why not be the first?