Eau d'Hermès (1951)

Year of Launch1951

HouseHermès
PerfumerEdmond Roudnitska

About Eau d'Hermès

Conceived by Edmond Roudnitska in 1951 on the basis of a citrus, spicy, floral theme, Eau d’Hermès is the first perfume of the house. It draws its inspiration from the idea of a magical smell, full of sensuality: “The inside of an Hermès bag where the scent of a perfume lingered… A note of fine leather wrapped in fresh trails of citrus fruit and seasoned with spices,” the composer described it at the time. A historical novel inspired by in-house customs and traditions, it is intended for men as well as women. A powerful, sensual writing style.

Eau d'Hermès fragrance notes

Reviews of Eau d'Hermès

Coppertop.

Think eau sauvage with notable cumin-like spice. Tight sillage and weak longevity at a distance, but it lasts plenty long as a 'second skin' depending on weather and/or what you're doing while wearing it. One of the standards in masculine citrus scents.
08th November, 2017
If I could smell just one fragrance on the opposite sex, it would be this. In vintage form this scent does something to me that no other one does. We don't need to discuss this at length, suffice it to say, citrus and cumin is a provocative combination.

I wear this myself if I'm feeling...lonely.
03rd October, 2017
I've tried to like this one for years and years... but I just can't get over the sharp cumin note. It smells like unwashed armpits, to be honest. The rest of the fragrance is lovely with nice structure and a classic feel. But the cumin is a deal-breaker for me.

Imagine that someone bought a 1957 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa - and proceeded to bolt on a chrome "whale tail" spoiler on the rear. The addition is disconcertingly out-of-place and it spoils the lines of this classic car.

That is what I think of Eau d-Hermes.
31st May, 2017
Copper top:

This is really interesting! Not sure about buying and wearing it though.

I definitely get the sweaty and spicy cumin, citrus, and slight anamalic notes, but to me, the cumin gets in the way of me getting the other more dirtier aspects. It dries down to a nice cumin and musk. It's pretty light and not as dense as I thought it would be.
26th May, 2017
This is a lighter, citrus fragrance, but with nice supporting structure that has something such as cumin adding a lovely dose of character.
01st May, 2017
Old school spicy citrus combo that does smell dated or "mature" if you will. I find that this leans slightly more masculine with the opening combination and the leather accord. Not sure what spices are in here... cinnamon? cumin? cardamom? For as "moist" as Bel Ami Vetiver smells this is a bit dry IMO. I do like it and will adjust my review after a few more wearings. Enjoy!
06th February, 2017

Add your review of Eau d'Hermès

Shop for Eau d'Hermès products online

Shop for Eau d'Hermès at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Eau d'Hermès