Eau d'Hermès (1951)

Year of Launch1951

HouseHermès
PerfumerEdmond Roudnitska

About Eau d'Hermès

Conceived by Edmond Roudnitska in 1951 on the basis of a citrus, spicy, floral theme, Eau d’Hermès is the first perfume of the house. It draws its inspiration from the idea of a magical smell, full of sensuality: “The inside of an Hermès bag where the scent of a perfume lingered… A note of fine leather wrapped in fresh trails of citrus fruit and seasoned with spices,” the composer described it at the time. A historical novel inspired by in-house customs and traditions, it is intended for men as well as women. A powerful, sensual writing style.

Eau d'Hermès fragrance notes

Reviews of Eau d'Hermès

I've tried to like this one for years and years... but I just can't get over the sharp cumin note. It smells like unwashed armpits, to be honest. The rest of the fragrance is lovely with nice structure and a classic feel. But the cumin is a deal-breaker for me.

Imagine that someone bought a 1957 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa - and proceeded to bolt on a chrome "whale tail" spoiler on the rear. The addition is disconcertingly out-of-place and it spoils the lines of this classic car.

That is what I think of Eau d-Hermes.
31st May, 2017
Copper top:

This is really interesting! Not sure about buying and wearing it though.

I definitely get the sweaty and spicy cumin, citrus, and slight anamalic notes, but to me, the cumin gets in the way of me getting the other more dirtier aspects. It dries down to a nice cumin and musk. It's pretty light and not as dense as I thought it would be.
26th May, 2017
This is a lighter, citrus fragrance, but with nice supporting structure that has something such as cumin adding a lovely dose of character.
01st May, 2017
Old school spicy citrus combo that does smell dated or "mature" if you will. I find that this leans slightly more masculine with the opening combination and the leather accord. Not sure what spices are in here... cinnamon? cumin? cardamom? For as "moist" as Bel Ami Vetiver smells this is a bit dry IMO. I do like it and will adjust my review after a few more wearings. Enjoy!
06th February, 2017
I deliberately didn’t look up the notes in this before I tried it, as I wanted to see what I could pick out. Straight up I got the leather, the sandalwood, the lavender and the cardamom – sharp and smoky and spicy. Then once it warmed up, I got a beautiful tang from the bergamot. This seems very cool initially, but after an hour or two, the vanilla and sandalwood start to show through, which warms it and gives it a lovely creamy note. I also got a slight BO smell from this – not an offensive BO, but more a clean sweat, like you’ve showered and put on deodorant and then gotten really sweaty. It’s weird, our last cat HATED perfume – he’d duck his head away and glare at me every time I went to pat him after I put some on. Our new cat seems to like them, as he spent a good ten seconds giving this one a damn good sniffing after I put it on, then gave me the lovey eyes. He is a weirdo though and he loves human smells (especially BO), so maybe it was that note that caught his attention. Me, I really love the lavender and leather in this – it’s a beautiful combination and the slightly animalic, dirty edge to this just makes it even more intriguing. I only put a dab of this on my arm initially, then after a couple of hours, I put a dab on my neck and between the girls. Aaaaaaand now I get why people are saying sweaty sex – holy heck, it’s gotten rather smutty here all of a sudden! I totally get why people are calling this a classic, so purecaramel, thanks very much for the sample. It’s a beaut!
25th September, 2016
Copper Top. As others have said a historical piece in the world of perfume.
The new edition of this is presented Ellena style. The basic structure of the perfume is kept. First there is a more vibrant picture of the Citrus. Then the picture is set back against the canvas, so it appears in the distance. Each note comes forward to present it's story and steps back remaining in view and allowing the next to shine. It is a very pretty and interesting study of the original. I like it!!
12th January, 2016 (last edited: 09th January, 2017)

Add your review of Eau d'Hermès

Shop for Eau d'Hermès products online

Shop for Eau d'Hermès at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Eau d'Hermès