Eau de Grey Flannel (1996)
by Geoffrey Beene

Eau de Grey Flannel information

Year of Launch1996

HouseGeoffrey Beene
Parent CompanyElizabeth Arden Inc
Parent Company at launchFrench Fragrances Inc

About Eau de Grey Flannel

Eau de Grey Flannel is a masculine fragrance by Geoffrey Beene. The scent was launched in 1996

Eau de Grey Flannel fragrance notes

Reviews of Eau de Grey Flannel

I don't know if this helps any but the color of the liquid in the bottle is sorta like what the cologne smell like. It is not cheap smelling, I don't think it smells like detergent.

Beautiful and it smells way above its price range. It smells like a very concentrated floral bouquet but in a non-feminine variant. You will stand apart from others at the party, and depending on the party guest list you might stand above the other colognes!
23rd March, 2015
Metal, salt, vetiver, touch of almond, EUCALYPTUS. There is something about eucalyptus and that wateriness that just MAKES an '80s warm weather fragrance for me. I see Duran Duran when I wear this stuff. Love it.
01st August, 2014
A blind buy and mistake thinking that I was purchasing Grey Flannel of the 70's/80's. The bottle was completely cloacked in a grey flannel fabric pouch and was surprised upon pulling out the bottle. At first sample, I thought what a horrible purchase and wondering if Ross would take it back.

Sampling a second time on a whim for a frag of the day, I am positively overwhelmed with the experience of the vetiver note announced. I am left with such a geat wonderful surprise, I have decided to keep this purchase. I have always enjoyed wearing Guerlain's Vetiver and Dior's Eau Savage. And one difference I detect is a saltiness to the vetiver.

Clean and crisp notes after having worn for well over 5 hours. Initially upon first spritz, I was once again thinking that it was a bad purchase as I don't care for aquatics in general, and I detected the salty notes upon this wearing versus my first sampling a week ago.

Thank goodness it does not resemble the current reformulated parent Grey Flannel which I have reviewed as a just a sad experience. Grey Flannel before the butchering, was a unique fragrance to experience. This Eau de Cologne is a bright crisp scent which I will enjoy wearing as I want to enjoy the scent and wear it for my benefit first, and then if someone else enjoys my choice, fine and dandy.
19th January, 2013
Booooring aquatic - reminds me of Cartier Roadster or something like that as there is a certain similar citrus and metallic note to it. Not unpleasant but so non-descript and dull, dull, dull.
17th January, 2013
Standard dimestore scent that opens with a slightly sweet, synthetic citrus freshness and a metalic water note, revealing a more prominent musk and oakmoss base as it dries down.
23rd September, 2012
Here is a good example of how the flanker concept, which I find obnoxious, can backfire. Davidoff please take note!

When one tries Eau de Grey Flannel they cannot help but compare it to Gray Flannel. I got mine by mistake, in a cold winter when I was looking for a well-blended 'comfort fragrance,' with an old-fashioned dandy feel, something to wear at home, or spray in my shoes or pillow. Something cheap, but still satisfying. That's Grey Flannel all over for me. Seems I wasn't paying close enough attention when I put my order in though because I got this instead.

Fresh, watery, citrusy, slightly woodsy. Smells like every other aquatic in the universe because they all smell the same, and while it's fleetingly refreshing the sensation dissapears quickly, the fragrance itself soon after.

Well given my situation it was inevitable that I hated it. A classic example of how the 'flanker,' concept is often no more than a marketing gambit, an attempt to push product by associating it with something popular and well-liked. The same phenomena which leads the likes of Guerlain to hold on to their classics even when EFRA restrictions, and limited budgets (the money goes into their newer compositions, and marketing of course) turn them into something that bears almost no resemblance at all to the original product.

Sometimes when a flanker doesn't resemble the original it's good. Cool Water for women: Sensual Essence has nothing at all to do with Cool Water, and is all the better for it. Similarly Cool Water Deep, yet even in these cases where the fragrance is arguably superior the mere fact that it is different can be a huge turn-off in light of the expectation created by the name.

So it is with Eau de Grey Flannel, yet I cannot hate it. Though the asking price is roughly on par with Worth Pour Homme, Jovan Musk for men and other cheapies which are actually quite good we must bear in mind that this costs next-to-nothing, and even if all you ever used it for was to deodorize your shoes (and the high-alcohol content and brief longevity makes it great for this) it's still value for money.

To that end here are some things you can do with the bottle of Eau de Gray Flannel which you accidentally ordered:

1. use it as window cleaner, or to polish metal / keep your other perfume bottles clean.

2. paperweight

3. Shoe/Car deodorizer

4. hand cleanser (alcohol concentrations over 60% give no significant advantage in reducing bacteria-count)

5. bug spray

6. take it with you when you shop for perfumes to counter-attack aggressive SAs who try to spritz you with things you dislike

7. can be used in bulk to create bio-diesel

8. as a countermeasure against persons wearing Secretions Magnifique in public; 15-20 sprays minimum.

9. propellant for lighting fires

10. when refrigerated can make for a refreshing cologne experience on hot days

11. self-defence measure against the odours that lurk in public bathrooms, or YSL's Kouros (same thing)

12. place in empty bottles of Green Irish Tweed or Aventus before distributing to the public as a hype-reducing agent

13. low-cost projectile for rioters

There. thirteen uses, that's one per dollar! Not bad. Definite thumbs-up.
02nd September, 2012 (last edited: 11th September, 2012)

Add your review of Eau de Grey Flannel

Shop for Eau de Grey Flannel products online

Shop for Eau de Grey Flannel at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Eau de Grey Flannel

Member images of Eau de Grey Flannel

There are no member images of Eau de Grey Flannel yet. Why not be the first?