Eau de Rochas Homme (1993)
by Rochas

PackagingSerge Mansau
Parent CompanyInter Parfums
Parent Company at launchWella

About Eau de Rochas Homme

Eau de Rochas Homme is a masculine fragrance by Rochas. The scent was launched in 1993 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Gilles Romey. The bottle was designed by Serge Mansau

Eau de Rochas Homme fragrance notes

Reviews of Eau de Rochas Homme

Mehh I dunno with this one.

I was pretty stoked in getting a great deal on a big bottle of this, so I jumped at the opportunity. It's one of the few 90's highly regarded citrus fragrances that I hadn't tried.

The opening of this is gorgeous, it's hard to get much better. Citruses coming at you from every direction. Lemon, lime, mandarin orange. Within minutes though it's gone and becomes a bit more floral. By the 15 minute mark, I am left with this awful synthetic/chemical accord, I'm assuming a very fake oak moss. It's just nasty and doesn't smell real in any way.

In other words, I get 15 minutes of enjoyments out of this fragrance. Maybe vintage is better, or maybe just the same? I am not willing to put out the money to find out. I find this to be a pretty much overrated fragrance. Now if you want something that actually deserves hype, Bowling Green is where to go. Same vein of fragrances, same style, same verbena note, much better dry down, but still not a great dry down. I find that these older designer label citrus fragrances have some pretty bad dry downs, where they begin to smell fake and cheap.

If you can get a bottle of this for under 20 bucks (I paid 15 for a near full 3.4 oz bottle) then it's worth it. Top notes are great, and mid is pretty good too for so many florals to not smell feminine at all. I doubt anyone will say you smell bad once the base notes kick in.. you may not even notice what I am noticing. I am very critical in what I smell, and I am very through in the reviews I do, so people can know what they MAY expect.

So maybe it's just me? A lot of the reviewers, I notice, give this a good review for nostalgic reasoning. Which is too biased, and too unfair for others to read. It sways the reviews way too positive, and that's not what I'm about. All personal opinions aside, and no favoritism from me; this is simply an average fragrance, with a cult following.
05th November, 2017
Stardate 20170928
Vintage Version:

Citrus cologne. Sweet. Like Chanel Eau de Cologne and Bowling Green.

29th September, 2017
Not too bad. Appreciate the juniper note that is dominant in this scent, along with fresh green, herbal quality (esp. the crisp verbena) that is great for warmer weather.
25th December, 2016
As with its predecessor, Eau de Rochas (for women) 23 years previously, this is an excellent eau de cologne.

Here the verbena is strong and long lasting, mixing with a pine resin note, which becomes more pronounced with the dry down, a gentle wood vetiver essence, which supports and enhances the citrus accord.

Turin gives it four stars, dubs it a "woody citrus," and mentions myrrh in the dry down, which explains the "lemony-resinous" aspect.

What I find odd and interesting is that Rochas dusted off its "sour lemon" masterwork from 1949, Moustache, to create its 1970 Eau de Rochas (femme), yet in 1993 chose a fresh lemon-wood combo for its Eau de Rochas Homme. One would have thought that the company noses would have chosen the fresh lemon take for the ladies and the recomposed sour lemon take for the men, rather than reversing the choices.

Still, one cannot quibble with any of these three citruses - they are all well balanced and excellent.
21st October, 2015
Initially, all I got was a "Lemon Pledge" opening and a decent, citrus dry down. I chalked it up as a "Meh" blind buy and banished it to the bottom shelf of my frag case. Big mistake. Gave it another go a few weeks later and couldn't believe it was the same cologne I'd scoffed at earlier.

Now I don't get the Pledge vibe as I did before; it smells like a lemon/lime blast of cool, fresh air. I get about four hours of moderate projection and then it turns into a lemon/cedar skin scent. I don't get why anyone would consider Eau de Rochas Homme generic or boring, unless they made the same mistake as I did and did not spend enough time with it.

I give Eau de Rochas five out of five stars. Highly recommended, especially if you pay under 35 bucks for the 100 ml bottle.
01st October, 2014
Bought the reformulation or just the one with the new non-transparent cap and what can I say? I'm disappointed!
It's from 93, so It's pre-ck one and It seems Ck's blockbuster surfed the same wave Eau de Rochas did, when It comes to the lightness of the fragrance. I notice the same "I intend to be clean smelling" vibe.
Initially, It's pretty citrusy, limey-lemony, a bit sharp, then turns (in 2-3 minutes) to a linear soft floral accord whose plain notes I can't distinguish separately. And that's it. Does it stink? No. It won't offend anyone. Is it recognizable? I'm affraid It's not: too generic (especially after ck one and its 1000 clones). Is it distinctive? Definitely not. Anyone wearing a drugstore cologne or axe deodorant will easily overpower Rochas. Sillage is practically none and longevity is weak. It's almost a miracle this one hasn't been discontinued yet.
It'll be the fragrance to be worn when I'm not in the mood for real fragrances.
-- Update 05/11/2014:
I was too cruel with Rochas! It has grown on my skin since my last post. It's getting hotter around here and the limey-limony-soft floral accord is more perceptible to my nose. It's now my casual wearing fragrance, although I still think It's too light.
03rd September, 2014 (last edited: 05th November, 2014)

Add your review of Eau de Rochas Homme