Eau du Sud (1995)

HouseAnnick Goutal
Parent CompanyStarwood Capital Group > Taittinger > Louvre Groupe
Parent Company at launchTaittinger > Louvre Groupe

About Eau du Sud

Eau du Sud is a shared / unisex perfume by Annick Goutal. The scent was launched in 1995

Reviews of Eau du Sud

Future Jason:

As per usual, you are cribbing from the Basenotes scent pyramid to describe what you smell, because your nose is an idiot.

There is mint, and there is citrus, for sure. Better than Royal Water, which you also sampled recently. In the sense that this doesn't totally smell like a cleaning product.

You probably need to stop wearing citrus for awhile. Because you're tempted to write: "This achieves new heights of boring. This is a scent to wear when phoning grandparents. When reviewing newspaper classifieds. Buying eyeglasses."

You can tell this is nice. You'd just rather wear anything else.

Moving on.

10th March, 2016
My first Goutal scent and its a winner. I went with this based on the reviews online. Starts with a strong citrus opening for sure. Lime, grapefruit and verbena right off the bat with a great combination of citrus notes. The floral notes come rather quickly for me and the scent softens and drys down to a nice even skin scent. Good spring / summer scent for sure and easy to wear to the office. Enjoy.
11th January, 2016
Eau du Sud sketches out an impression of marginal scrubland; lemony herbs and sandy soil parched under a hot sun.

Then lime refreshes the desert backdrop like a citrus rainstorm.

Good narrative perfumery.

****
19th July, 2015
In the opening, the most prominent note is lemon verbena, along with a non-tart grapefruit & minty herbs. After half an hour, this accord is joined by an impression of soft florals. From here, it slowly dries down to a base of crisp moss, with a faintly smoky edge, & still-detectable citrus notes. The projection is quite soft, & three hours in it fades to a skin scent, barely there after eight hours.
This is not a tenacious fragrance, but it is evocative of a thousand memories for me, conjuring as it does a Mediterranean hillside in the heat of summer, complete with the screech of cicadas filling the olive groves. For this reason, I cannot help but love it.
08th July, 2015
For some reason I haven't posted a review on this absolute mainstay of my collection.
Short and sweet. Eau du Sud, to me, is very similar to Eau Savage, which I have always loved on my husband. Unlike me he doesn't keep an arsenal of fragrances and so I don't step on his toes and wear one of 'his' signatures. I can wear Eau du Sud instead.
Other reviewers note a similarity to Cristalle in Eau du Sud. Cristalle delivers a more 'juicy fruit' honeysuckle intensity but I do understand the reference. Eau du Sud carries its own representation of summer in a bottle, there's a light tennis cake and a long glass of iced Pimms nearby. Eight hours after application Eau du Sud releases an aroma of those Fishermen's Lozenges, smoky and camphoreous, as if it were its dying breath.
Always quirky. I like that.
05th April, 2015
Genre: Citrus

Eau du Sud is a beautifully, truthfully rendered lemon-centered fragrance with a bracing herbal component that lifts it beyond the horde of limp, "fresh" scents that crowd the nasal passages these days. The heart accord is very well blended and not overly sweet. The only note that really sticks out to my nose is basil, which does send me some culinary signals. Not enough to make me want to chew on myself, however. Very pretty, clearly unisex, and extremely well executed. Not the kind of fragrance that I get excited about, but I do have to ackowledge its quality.

As an aside, I find Eau du Sud far more interesting than Goutal's more popular (and overrated?) Eau d'Hadrien.
13th June, 2014

Add your review of Eau du Sud

Shop for Eau du Sud products online

Shop for Eau du Sud at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Eau du Sud

Member images of Eau du Sud

There are no member images of Eau du Sud yet. Why not be the first?