Eau du Sud (1995)

HouseAnnick Goutal
Parent CompanyStarwood Capital Group > Taittinger > Louvre Groupe
Parent Company at launchTaittinger > Louvre Groupe

About Eau du Sud

Eau du Sud is a shared / unisex perfume by Annick Goutal. The scent was launched in 1995

Reviews of Eau du Sud

Eau du Sud sketches out an impression of marginal scrubland; lemony herbs and sandy soil parched under a hot sun.

Then lime refreshes the desert backdrop like a citrus rainstorm.

Good narrative perfumery.

****
19th July, 2015
In the opening, the most prominent note is lemon verbena, along with a non-tart grapefruit & minty herbs. After half an hour, this accord is joined by an impression of soft florals. From here, it slowly dries down to a base of crisp moss, with a faintly smoky edge, & still-detectable citrus notes. The projection is quite soft, & three hours in it fades to a skin scent, barely there after eight hours.
This is not a tenacious fragrance, but it is evocative of a thousand memories for me, conjuring as it does a Mediterranean hillside in the heat of summer, complete with the screech of cicadas filling the olive groves. For this reason, I cannot help but love it.
08th July, 2015
For some reason I haven't posted a review on this absolute mainstay of my collection.
Short and sweet. Eau du Sud, to me, is very similar to Eau Savage, which I have always loved on my husband. Unlike me he doesn't keep an arsenal of fragrances and so I don't step on his toes and wear one of 'his' signatures. I can wear Eau du Sud instead.
Other reviewers note a similarity to Cristalle in Eau du Sud. Cristalle delivers a more 'juicy fruit' honeysuckle intensity but I do understand the reference. Eau du Sud carries its own representation of summer in a bottle, there's a light tennis cake and a long glass of iced Pimms nearby. Eight hours after application Eau du Sud releases an aroma of those Fishermen's Lozenges, smoky and camphoreous, as if it were its dying breath.
Always quirky. I like that.
05th April, 2015
Genre: Citrus

Eau du Sud is a beautifully, truthfully rendered lemon-centered fragrance with a bracing herbal component that lifts it beyond the horde of limp, "fresh" scents that crowd the nasal passages these days. The heart accord is very well blended and not overly sweet. The only note that really sticks out to my nose is basil, which does send me some culinary signals. Not enough to make me want to chew on myself, however. Very pretty, clearly unisex, and extremely well executed. Not the kind of fragrance that I get excited about, but I do have to ackowledge its quality.

As an aside, I find Eau du Sud far more interesting than Goutal's more popular (and overrated?) Eau d'Hadrien.
13th June, 2014
I never thought I'd see the day when a citrus-based scent would be made to last this long. But what's this? Eau du Sud has been around since when? 1996? Ouch!! Where has it been all my life?

I was fortunate enough to have sampled this fragrance recently and immediately ordered a bottle - it lingered on my skin all evening and on my clothes all night and into the following day.

Wonderful citrus that mellows down into a dry and slightly woody base, albeit with something a little more than faint hints of citrus. Very unisex (the equivalent bottle 'pour femme' is the same juice, just presented in a different bottle) and wearable year round, although I can't wait for the hot summer months to douse myself in this one.

Well done Annick Goutal. Why have I only just discovered your work?
30th May, 2014
AlHamr Show all reviews
Wonderfully individualist take on a grand classical theme

I tried this for the first time today and found myself wondering where it had been all my life.

Its first citrus bang, with a touch of Basil and jasmine, is strongly reminiscent of Eau Sauvage but, where ES takes the lemon mousse and hedione-drenched main drag, Eau du Sud winds around the enchanting side roads through terraces of rosemary, lavender and jasmine. There's something truly intriguing and refined about this dewy herbal floral take on a classic theme.

Superb spring/summer scent which rejuvenated the year for me on a sluggish autumn day.

Pros:
Cons: None whatsoever"

23rd September, 2013

Add your review of Eau du Sud

Shop for Eau du Sud products online

Shop for Eau du Sud at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Eau du Sud

Member images of Eau du Sud

There are no member images of Eau du Sud yet. Why not be the first?