Eau de Verveine (1949)

AvailabilityDiscontinued

HousePenhaligon's
Parent CompanyPuig Beauty & Fashion Group

About Eau de Verveine

Relaunched as part of the Penhaligon's Anthology range in 2009.

Eau de Verveine fragrance notes

Reviews of Eau de Verveine

rbaker Show all reviews
More lemon than verbena

A nice and fresh opening of lemon, petitgrain and verbena, with the latter remaining more in the background. This is followed by sage and later a classic jasmine, with a very light wood and musk added in the drydown. Decent projection, silage and longevity - for such a Cologne - of about three hours. Traditional but well executed.

07th July, 2013
A very promising opening of citrus containing elements of lemon, lime, bergamot and petitgrain. After 30 minutes to an hour the cirtus notes fade and you are left with something floral with really the only prominent note to me is a heavy sage one. This persists for a couple hours before everything disappears. Overall it really isn’t a bad fragrance, but doesn’t really have a wow factor or longevity. Probably pretty reminiscent of the time period it is from.
09th February, 2012
Great start. A masculine dry down. I noticed a pencil shaving scent. Is that the sage? Did not even make it in to work from morning commute and it was finished (45 mins) Glad it was a free sample
16th September, 2011
This begins with a burst of citrus, the lime and lemon. The petitgrain soon takes over, but after an hour, it too disappears. What we are left with is a soft, non-descript, seeming floral. Perfectly pleasant, but in no way unique or special. Very much of its period, the late forties and early fifties. The floral drydown is very old-fashioned, the effect of potpourri or a drawer sachet.

Once again Penhaligon's names a cologne for an ingredient this is not in it. They did the same for their Night Scented Stock. Why call this Verveine, when there is none in it. Totally illogical and very misleading.

27th June, 2011 (last edited: 13th July, 2011)

I love most verveine (lemon verbena) fragrances and own four of them along with the complementary products – deodorant, lotion, and talc. The thing I love most about Verveine fragrances is, not surprisingly, the verveine. When I encounter a “verveine” fragrance that does not contain very much verveine, I am disappointed no matter how nice the fragrance is. I find Penhaligon’s Eau de Verveine EDT disappointing because I just can’t be sure I’ve found the verveine in it. EdV opens deeply citrusy with strong elements of petit grain and coriander. Then it develops a tinge of sage… I’m ok with sage, but it is not what I want to smell when I’m expecting verbena. The citrus accord of the opening has body and substance, and is not strong or overbearing. The sage adds a pleasantness to the movement from the opening to the somewhat spicy middle – a middle composed of soft clove / lavender accord: a lavender that I enjoy because of its quality and discretion.

I’m not sure that I can find much of a base because I seem to simply experience the remnants of the opening and middle accords for the rest of the run of the fragrance except that a musky aura is added toward the end.

It’s not a bad fragrance. It's hard to know what to think of it because it is a rather strange fragrance... a strangeness which begins with its name, and ends with its being labeled an EDT – I don’t find the verveine and I find it has no more longevity that a traditional cologne. Still, it’s pleasant and clean and refreshing…

13th May, 2011
I got a tester of this one, because it smelled quite interesting in the shop, and I was not aware that it was a revived scent from 1949 as I tried it out, but through out the whole evening I kept getting the feeling that I was wearing my grandfathers perfume, which was not entirely pleasant... By the end of the evening I was very annoyed.
28th March, 2011

Add your review of Eau de Verveine

Shop for Eau de Verveine products online

Shop for Eau de Verveine at online perfumeries

Search Amazon for Eau de Verveine

Member images of Eau de Verveine

There are no member images of Eau de Verveine yet. Why not be the first?

Features relating to Eau de Verveine